Springfield XD Forum banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
" I was looking for a load for shooting USPSA "

In my opinion, this load is a very poor choice for several reasons. At 720 fps you're on the PF fence, anything lower will fail major. This is especially true if you are mixing SP&LP primers that will vary the velocity. You're well below starting wt. at 4.4gr and will likely have a function issue when you least expect it to happen. Murphy's Law. Finally, hitting a 8" plate at 15+yd's. is not much proof of accuracy, they could be key holed and still plink metal.

Do yourself a favor; get reliable data and use the starting load and build up from there testing on paper so accuracy can be confirmed. 800 fps should be achieved about mid-range. Then learn to shoot multi strings controlling recoil by technique.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree that my technique could always use improvement. I caught myself yesterday with an improper grip. So far though, I am very happy with the load. Since posting, I have had the opportunity to shoot on paper and the load is shooting a 6" group at 25 yds and that is offhand. 3" group at 15 yds and at 7yds, there is just 1 big ragged hole. My shooting at the 8" steel was all rapid fire and was mainly just to check function.

I shoot production division so there are no power factor considerations. I don't think I could even load a functioning 230 grain load that would come in below minor. I will definitely be on the look out for malfunctions though and thanks fir the advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is some good advice in this thread.
Especially when it comes to OAL being gun specific and crimp.
I have the XD Tactical and it will cycle any factory load however it is extremely sensitive whe trying to get a good reduced recoil load for slow fire bullseye matches. I am running .452 LSWC 200 grain projectiles and have tried a variety of powders, all chronographed and documented in shooters log book. I have found that my particular xd likes wadcutters a littl longer than standard published OAL and with slightly more crimp. I am still trying to find the exact combination that provides the best accuracy, least amount of recoil, and reliable functionality. I have a batch ready to test that look promising according to recent data collection and the gage and chamber testing. This batch slips into the chamber with no resistance and hand cycles smoothly. I have the Wolffe calibration spring kit and am running the 14 lb spring and wolffe solid full length guide rod.

·
Registered
8 Posts
what products would you guys recommend someone beginning reloading as far as bullets and powder go? i am just trying to save as much money as possible, and have a nice stock 1000+ mostly of range ammo and probably just a hundred self/home defense rounds (hollow points with lead exposed inside).

powder valley seems like a great place to source stuff from. but there is just so much variation in powder, i don't really understand the difference if there is anything significant. i'm thinking i might find a good price on powder but have to use more than more expensive powder by weight, so maybe weight is not the best way to price powder...

sorry for noob question, i am trying to answer these question with research but it is very overwhelming for me at this point. btw i use a glock 30sf if that matters.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
what products would you guys recommend someone beginning reloading as far as bullets and powder go? i am just trying to save as much money as possible, and have a nice stock 1000+ mostly of range ammo and probably just a hundred self/home defense rounds (hollow points with lead exposed inside).

powder valley seems like a great place to source stuff from. but there is just so much variation in powder, i don't really understand the difference if there is anything significant. i'm thinking i might find a good price on powder but have to use more than more expensive powder by weight, so maybe weight is not the best way to price powder...

sorry for noob question, i am trying to answer these question with research but it is very overwhelming for me at this point. btw i use a glock 30sf if that matters.
It definitely can be overwhelming and there are a lot of options. First, do you have a preference in terms of bullet type (FMJ, HP, 230gr, 200, etc, etc)? If all you are trying to do is replicate target ammo then just about any 230gr FMJ bullet will work so start with what's available to you. Some stuff is back ordered so check all the normal sites (Powder Valley, Grafs, Precision Delta, MG, etc) and see what you can get. Some easy powders to start with are Win231, Unique, WST, and WSF but again you may have to see what is available locally so you don't have to pay the hazmat fees. If you are planning to eventually load other calibers then you can check your reloading manuals (I assume you have at least one) and see if there are powders that will work with both calibers. If you stay with it you will most likely eventually try multiple powders so which one you start with really doesn't matter. Just make sure you real through some manuals first so you understand the process. Once you have the first batches under your belt and some practice you can then try different bullets and powders to see which combo works best out of your gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i appreciate the response. i actually don't have any manuals at all, i'm just looking online. i have founds some recipes, saying how much powder to use for which ever caliber and type of powder (i think it was at the beginning of the thread, or on another thread/site... i'll double check after work tomorrow)

i'm not immediately expecting to buy any reloading gear, but i would like to be set up within a week or 2. saving all my brass, although i can't afford much. i just paid 57 dollars for 100 rounds this weekend and picked up all my shells after each clip. usually i spend 42 for 100 but i really wanted to get out to the range and the place i buy them that cheap does not have them available very often.

·
Registered
63 Posts
After reading through this thread and doing a search in it, I don't find anything that addresses the issue I'm working with, so here goes.

I'm shooting a 5.25 XDm in .45 in IDPA SSP with a light load (3.2 grains of TiteGroup under a 230 gr. lead round nose for 585 fps/135 power factor) that used to work fine in a Para. The accuracy is good. It runs smoothly through the gun. But, I'll occasionally get a push in the face from hot gas escaping around the cartridge case, as testified to by the burn marks on the cases. Short of sorting all my .45 acp brass by headstamp and trying the load in specific brands to see if some brands do it more or less than others, or loading up to a power factor that slows shot to shot recovery time and slows my stage times down, any suggestions ? I love the XDm's and the .45 fits my hand even better than the .40 or 9mm so I'd really like to make this work. And neither of the other calibers do this with minor power loads. Yes, I'm addicted and have the XDm in all three calibers. Awesome gun !

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
After reading through this thread and doing a search in it, I don't find anything that addresses the issue I'm working with, so here goes.

I'm shooting a 5.25 XDm in .45 in IDPA SSP with a light load (3.2 grains of TiteGroup under a 230 gr. lead round nose for 585 fps/135 power factor) that used to work fine in a Para. The accuracy is good. It runs smoothly through the gun. But, I'll occasionally get a push in the face from hot gas escaping around the cartridge case, as testified to by the burn marks on the cases. Short of sorting all my .45 acp brass by headstamp and trying the load in specific brands to see if some brands do it more or less than others, or loading up to a power factor that slows shot to shot recovery time and slows my stage times down, any suggestions ? I love the XDm's and the .45 fits my hand even better than the .40 or 9mm so I'd really like to make this work. And neither of the other calibers do this with minor power loads. Yes, I'm addicted and have the XDm in all three calibers. Awesome gun !
I am going to start shooting my XDTAC in ESP, I have been shooting it in CDP. So for me to gt a soft minor load, I went to 200gr bullet @700fps, for 140PF. I did have to drop a spring rate to get it 100% reliable. It shoots pretty soft, not 9mm soft, but pretty soft. I think the heavier bullet is the way to go for soft major loads, but for minor, drop to a 200gr & see what happens. I could probably get down to 650fps, but good case expansion is lost & you get powder blow by on some brass as you note.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
i appreciate the response. i actually don't have any manuals at all, i'm just looking online. i have founds some recipes, saying how much powder to use for which ever caliber and type of powder (i think it was at the beginning of the thread, or on another thread/site... i'll double check after work tomorrow)

i'm not immediately expecting to buy any reloading gear, but i would like to be set up within a week or 2. saving all my brass, although i can't afford much. i just paid 57 dollars for 100 rounds this weekend and picked up all my shells after each clip. usually i spend 42 for 100 but i really wanted to get out to the range and the place i buy them that cheap does not have them available very often.
Get at least one good manual, two is better. The net is fine, but nothing like having answers at yor finger tips. There is a lot of good info in good manuals, not just data. Buy good high quality gear. Cheap tools never give bset results IMO.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Starting book load with that powder is 4.0 grains, so you are probably well below the optimal working pressures for Titegroup. There's just not enough pressure to expand the case mouth for a good seal in the chamber. One option is to step up to a heavier slug. A 250 or 255 grain bullet designed for 45 Colt can be a good choice. I've run those in my 1911s at very low velocity and recoil was almost nonexistent, plus accuracy was awesome. Just make sure they're sized .452 and not .454 and there should be no issues with chambering.
The only other choices are to:
A) Try Trail Boss...it's designed for loafing velocities.
B) Figure out which cases have the thinnest mouths (probably R-P headstamps, but some Winchester is pretty skinny, too), and load those.
C) Increase your charge of Titegroup to about 3.5. That should put you up to a pressure that will reliably expand all but the stiffest cases.

Good luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts

Just like Noah stated, you're not expanding the case enough due to the weak load.

I used 230s and Trail Boss when I want soft loads in my 1911s. I can't use it in the XDM 5.25 45 because it too slow to cycle the slide even at max load and I don't want to replace the recoil spring. I will eject the cases fine 95% of the time but they come out so weak that they just bounce right of my hand. I shoot 200gr with 5.4gr of Bullseye and I find it very soft.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Just like Noah stated, you're not expanding the case enough due to the weak load.

I used 230s and Trail Boss when I want soft loads in my 1911s. I can't use it in the XDM 5.25 45 because it too slow to cycle the slide even at max load and I don't want to replace the recoil spring. I will eject the cases fine 95% of the time but they come out so weak that they just bounce right of my hand. I shoot 200gr with 5.4gr of Bullseye and I find it very soft.
Why I think 45 minor is more easily reached with a lighter bullet. I have since moved to a 185gr RN w/ a small FP, running 700fps. Enough pressure with something like WST or RedDot to seal the case & run the slide fast enough to not be waiting on it between shots. Heavy bullets make sense in 9mm & even 40 for minor, you are still up over 700fps. In 45 though, already a low pressure round, you need to keep vel & pressures up a bit.

·
Registered
446 Posts
There is a bunch of 45 Winchester brass around with small primer pockets. I've used small pistol primers as well as small rifle primers. The difference was 25fps faster with the small rifle primers, used the same powder load in each 5gr WST. Xray

I could be wrong but I have never seen .45 acp cases with small primers.
Maybe it is 45 GAP ?[/QUOTE]
Federal makes 45 ACP using small primers. I bought 500 rounds

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I could be wrong but I have never seen .45 acp cases with small primers.
Maybe it is 45 GAP ?
Federal makes 45 ACP using small primers. I bought 500 rounds[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, there are a lot of sp 45acp now days. Federal, Win, several foreign manuf, are using sp in their non toxic lines. For me, a big PITA to sort & run in a progressive.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A new load I tried using BE-86 is 6gr pushing a 200gr pill. Out of my Para 1911, it was awesome. This is my go to load now. It shot nice all the way up to max load but I have no need for the upper range of the load. 6gr is the starting load. Very soft and still worked the slide fast. This is the load my son will use for SS class and it still makes major PF.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Going to load some 185 grain rnfp plated from xtreme with titegroup. Not sure I should use xtp data from hodgdon, seeing as these are plated and not jacketed. If anyone has any ideas please share.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Plated load between a lead bullet @ jacketed bullet. As long as you are not going into max data, you are fine using jacketed data. Start at avg midrange @ work up. Do NOT use max jacketed data unless you are working up to it & even then, at your own risk.

·
Registered
48 Posts
185 grain xtreme plated rnfp 5.0 grains titegroup 1.18 xtreme large pistol primers. 65* air temp
Average 971fps

5.1 grains
Average 996 fps
5.2 grains
Average 1035

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have been using Bullseye powder. I use 4.2 pushing a cast 185gr swc. Since Bullseye is a fast burning powder it works great in the short barrel XDS.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does using small primers change thing much. I guess if you use a fast burning powder like Bullseye it would be ok. Is there any change in accuracy or point of impact?

121 - 140 of 156 Posts