Springfield XD Forum banner

101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am I the only one that loads a 45 with 185 gr. bullets.
I find them just as accurate and seem to be a little easier on my pistol.
Bullets are also cheaper than the 230's.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I load 185 and a lot of others do too, and I agree with what you said. It all depends what you are going to use the ammo for.Target shooting and plinking 185's are great. Most people prefer tp use 230's for hunting and self defense. However there is doubt about which is actually best. Everyone has a different opinion.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
My std practice load is a 200gr. I like some 185gr loads for ccw in smaller/lighter 45s instead of 230gr+P loads that only increase recoil. The 185gr XTP or 185gr RGS is a pretty good 185gr load.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a problem with the Hornady 230 grain XTP. I'm using 5.9 grains of Unique and the overall length is 1.230 as my Hornady book suggests. Problem is, something is causing by brass to expand when I seat the bullet. The round stops about a millimeter short in my chamber because of this bulge near the bottom of the case. I wouldn't think the bullet is compressing the powder and causing this since I am under the max powder charge. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Your seating die body is not adjusted correctly. Correct adjustment should have a gap the width of a nickel between the shell holder and the bottom of the die. When this is set, then you can set the seating plug to the correct depth. Your problem is the die body is crushing the case. Seating dies never toutch the shellholder when the ram is fully up.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
If you are bulging the case, it's likey the crimp is set wrong. As rayikeo notes, read the directions with your dies for proper setup. You can not compress powder enough to bulge a case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok i am a new reloader. i am working up a load with clays under an h&m 230gr fmj. at 1.200 oal. i started at 3.7 but wound up at 4.0 gr. which according to hogdon is max load. so far the brass looks good and no noticeable signs of pressure. recoil is so smooth and have yet to properly test accuracy. the oal on hogdon site was 1.200. my question is i want to increase this and use the same load to test for accuracy. i have loaded 3 at 1.200, 3 at 1.215, 3 at 1.235, 3 at 1.255, and 3 at 1.275. can some one educate me as to how the oal will affect my load pressure etc. suggestions? so far my max load at 4.o gr clays under 230gr fmj oal of 1.200" is shooting 735fps to 745fps.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
ok i am a new reloader. i am working up a load with clays under an h&m 230gr fmj. at 1.200 oal. i started at 3.7 but wound up at 4.0 gr. which according to hogdon is max load. so far the brass looks good and no noticeable signs of pressure. recoil is so smooth and have yet to properly test accuracy. the oal on hogdon site was 1.200. my question is i want to increase this and use the same load to test for accuracy. i have loaded 3 at 1.200, 3 at 1.215, 3 at 1.235, 3 at 1.255, and 3 at 1.275. can some one educate me as to how the oal will affect my load pressure etc. suggestions? so far my max load at 4.o gr clays under 230gr fmj oal of 1.200" is shooting 735fps to 745fps.
Unless you are using the EXACT 230gr FMJ, then your OAL is TOO short. Hogdon uses the Hornady TCFMJ, it will seat shorter than the 230gr RNFMJ. Clays is a touchy powder, unstable as you aproach the top end. The pressure curve goes vertical as you cross max. Seating too short will increase pressures, so ALWAYS load to the longest OAL your gun will run with, regardless of the data. OAL is ALWAYS gun & bullet specific.:shock:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am just starting reloading and my 45 dies were the first to come in so that is where im starting. Using HS-6 as that is all I could get my hands on given the current market situation. CCI primers with 230gr Plated bullets from Rocky Mountain. I have a Lyman and Hornady book which have drastically different loading data for both amount of powder and OAL. Right now I have everything set for 1.255 OAL and 6.9gr of HS-6. After looking around and reading some posts, it looks like most people are using between 7.5-8.2gr of HS-6 for best results. Is there any problem starting as low as I am with powder. Also what are your thoughts on OAL? Im at 1.255" now. Also not sure if this matters, but I am going to use this for my XD-S as thats the only 45ACP handgun I have......for now

·
Registered
42 Posts
Probably not a whole lot of folks looking for such a load, but I load up 7.0gr Power Pistol under a 250gr Missouri RNFP hardcast at 1.180" for a muzzle velocity around 975-985 fps through my chronograph (5" barrel). Other hardcast designs are better (like Beartooth for instance), but the Missouri's are cheap.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Keep in mind, OAL is ALWAYS gun & bullet specifc. The OAL MUST fit your gun. So regardless of data, set up your own OAL with that bullet, as long as possible. Use a dummy round, check it in the removed bbl, then load it into the mag & fill it up w/ factory, it should move freely all the way down.
Now load your test batch of 10rds. HS6 is a medium slow powder & best reults will be beyond starting data. At 6.9gr, I doubt you get good functioning & there will be unburnt powder. I would start @ 7.2gr & work up in 0.2gr increments to 7.8gr, shoot them in order, check functioning, accuracy & pressure signs. If you are looking for light plinking loads, wrong powder I am afraid, but ball equiv loads & up HS6 should work quite well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a pound of Clays sitting around for a few years - some of the IPSC guys like it for their 40s.. All i shoot now is 45 and 38 so I tried s few loads with the Clays. Im really impressed with the smoothness of the recoil & how much cleaner it burns compared to BE. I agree that one has to be real careful approaching a max load with this powder. For target I use 4.0 behind either a 200 gr. lswc or a 200 gr. Berrys. Great accuracy - good as BE - and cleaner. Its a fast burner so it wouldnt be a good choice for SD loads but Im sold on it for target loads in both 38 and 45.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I ran a # of Clays that I won at a match. It does fine for bunnyfart loads but be very careful running the top end, it can & does pressure spike. It is clean burning & accurate, but I prefer WST. I bit more top end & sim loft, still clean, soft recoil, very accurate.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well finally got a day off to run over to the club and test out my first loads. These were all with HS-6 and 230gr plates round nose. Shot at 20ft standing out of XD-S. I shot two groups of 5 rounds for each load and will list the best below. All functioned 100% even down at 6.5

6.5gr 14" spread
6.7gr 8" spread
6.9gr 5" spread
7.1gr 2" spread

The lighter loads definitely had unburned powder, but as I worked up there was definitely less and less. I am going to load up some more going from 7.2-7.8 and see how those come out as far as accuracy, unburned powder, and pressure signs. Will report back in probably about a week. But hopefully sooner.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Loaded up my first bullets ever the other day and finally got to shoot them yesterday. I was incredibly happy with the results. Recoil was very much reduced and the gun cycled flawlessly through 2) 10 round magazines

Mixed range brass, some small primer and large primer
Winchester large primers CCI small primers
230gr lucky 13 cast lead
4.4gr Unique
1.264 OAL

I was looking for a load for shooting USPSA. I may have found a winner the first go around. I tested them on an 8" plate at about 50' and they all made some noise. These were shot from an HK45c so a 3.8" barrel. I can't wait to load some for my xdm9 5.25. Very excited to be reloading

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Loaded up my first bullets ever the other day and finally got to shoot them yesterday. I was incredibly happy with the results. Recoil was very much reduced and the gun cycled flawlessly through 2) 10 round magazines

Mixed range brass, some small primer and large primer
Winchester large primers CCI small primers
230gr lucky 13 cast lead
4.4gr Unique
1.264 OAL

I was looking for a load for shooting USPSA. I may have found a winner the first go around. I tested them on an 8" plate at about 50' and they all made some noise. These were shot from an HK45c so a 3.8" barrel. I can't wait to load some for my xdm9 5.25. Very excited to be reloading
That is an extremely light load, surprised it runs the gun, maybe 700fps?

101 - 120 of 156 Posts