Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are floating around online for $499 and there is a $50 mail in rebate. Why are these so cheap? When I started researching AR's a couple weeks ago I found lots of "how to build a budget AR for $500" info. Now I see complete name brand rifles selling under $500. Well I couldn't resist and picked one up last night from Gunbuyer.com. How bad can this model be compared to a $500 DYI Franken AR?

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I am not an ar aficionado, but right now it is a buyer's market. Many makers over produced from what I understand.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
I'm guessing the ORC is pretty comparable to a $500 Frankengun.

I'd rather do the Frankengun myself. Maybe when non-Freedom Group ARs drop to comparable prices, I'll reconsider.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I'm looking at the smith 15 sport.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Boy, I must be turning into a gun snob; not a fan of Smith either.....
Sorry for the hijack, OP, but what have you got against the smith AR's?

The sport has gotten pretty good reviews. I can get one for $600 OTD.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
They are HQed in CT and don't seam to have any plans of moving. I don't like my gun money going towards gun-control.

I also found their CS to be a bit sub-par.

·
Registered
392 Posts
ORC is good to go buddy. It was the first one I ever purchased and still my fav.
Never a single issue with it.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
it'll happen someday, but there are so many thousands of unmatched lower floating around out there; it'll take awhile before the halves balance.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
29,830 Posts
At that price, I just might buy 3 or 4 and leave in the box until the next scare, and they triple in price overnight...

(and before anybody gets their panties in a wad--if I did this with a stock, or real estate--you'd think I was a savvy investor. Guns ain't no different).

·
Registered
392 Posts
At that price, I just might buy 3 or 4 and leave in the box until the next scare, and they triple in price overnight... (and before anybody gets their panties in a wad--if I did this with a stock, or real estate--you'd think I was a savvy investor. Guns ain't no different).
Agreed on that, seriously great rifles. I purchased mine in 2007 for $1200!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
At that price, I just might buy 3 or 4 and leave in the box until the next scare, and they triple in price overnight...

(and before anybody gets their panties in a wad--if I did this with a stock, or real estate--you'd think I was a savvy investor. Guns ain't no different).
If I had the available cash, I would do the same.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
If I had the available cash, I would do the same.
ditto. thinking about buying the M&P then selling my Mini 14 during the next scare.
they were hard to find during the last scare so im sure i'll at least break even. and keep the AR for myself.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
I've got absolutely no problem with people buying guns as investments. It will act to stabilize prices.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I doubt I'll buy a whole gun by any one maker but I am definitely going to stock up on a few lowers while the prices are low (I paid 230 for my Anderson lower during the height of the last scare), now they are like 50-60..buying a factory made AR is good too, but I just like building them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts