Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just getting back into reloading after quite a few years. I have my Dillon SDB set up for some 44mag currently. Going thru my old supplies and I have some cast lead (3D) 44's that are 240 grains. I have probably 2000 of these so I'd like to load em' up. My problem is my new reloading manual (Lee, second edition) is not giving me what I need. Here's Lee's load:

240 gr lead bullet - 25gr of Win296 max 1560fps (no idea what firearm)

There is no minimum load...??? I'd like to make this a plinker round and I know that 296 is more for the heavier loads but only a max and no min..? What gives?

I have an old sierra reloading manual but no lead loads, only for Sierra bullets.
They have a 240gr JHC load that starts at 21.2grs of 296 and max's at 24.7. I know there's a difference between a lead bullet and jacketed but I'm a bit confused.
Am I better off using Unique or Bullseye for a lighter plinking load???

·
Registered
541 Posts
See if you can obtain a Speer Reloading manual. I have a Speer #11 manual and it does indeed list semi-wadcuter 240 grain bullets.

Winchester 296 isn't listed but Winchester 231 is along with Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot and Green Dot. Looks like max loads in regards to velocity are between 900 and 937 between them so they are all fairly close.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have a Speer 13th Manual and it lists a 240gr L-SWC. However, the manual does not say, but it appears that the loads were for a swagged, not cast bullet given the extremely low velocities they obtained (max on any powder charge is listed at 947fps). Obviously, any swagged bullets should be kept below 1,000fps due to extreme barrel leading problems with bullets pushed beyond the 1,000fps envelope. Cast bullets generally fair better at higher velocities and are safer up to around 1,500fps or so in my experience.

Here are the Bullseye and Unique Min/Max loads for the 240gr L-SWC (swagged bullet):

Unique - 6.5gr - 720fps / 7.0gr - 899fps

Bullseye - 5.5gr - 828fps / 6.0gr - 894fps

On the other hand, the Speer 13th lists a 250gr Cast Bullet with much higher velocities/charges:

Win 296 (with CCI Mag Primers) - 21.0gr - 1343fps / 23.0gr - 1439fps

Unique - 9.0gr - 1029fps / 11.0gr - 1211fps

You might check out some of the online reloading sites like Chuckhawks and the various manufacturers of cast bullets to see if you can get any more accurate load data for your specific bullet before you proceed.

Good luck...

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Upon further inspection, these bullets I have are from a company called 3-D which as far as I can tell, doesn't exist anymore. Bought these in the early 90's.
Anyway they are hard-alloy swaged and not cast lead. From recent readings these hard alloy bullets can be pushed above the 1000fps range with no ill affects.
Think I'll stick to some loads with 11 grains of Unique just to keep them docile and save the 296 for some jacketed 180-200 grainer's.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have pushed hard cast bullets to around 1000 FPS but did so very slowly looking for signs of over pressure as I went but there is really no need to do so in my opinion.

I would use them for practice and keep them to a little over 900 FPS and keep the JHP or JSP you can load hot with current loading data for hunting or self defense.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The right alloy, properly sized & lubed, a good cast lead bullet can easily go to 1400fps w/o leading. The reason you won;t see much data for W296 that is NOT full speed is the powder becomes eratic At less than full pressure. Don't go below 22gr w/ a 240gr lead bullet & you'll be running near 1300fps, always use a large mag primer w/ W296.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check on the large magnum primer.... is it ok to use large magnum on the lighter loads also? such as with Unique or Bullseye?

·
Registered
258 Posts
get yourself the Lyman reload manual vol # 48 or # 49 I can tell you from my own experience start with 8.8 grs of unique or herco powder for the 240 grs cast bullets this is a great mid range load for plinking or for hunting med size game up to deer size & works well on coyotes also. remember when ever your reloading ammo reduce the starting loads by 10% this is a safe way to work up any reccommended loads good luck :cool:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Check on the large magnum primer.... is it ok to use large magnum on the lighter loads also? such as with Unique or Bullseye?
It's ok to use mag primers w/ Unique, but not req'd. I do NOT using mag primers w/ uberfast powders like BE, unless you are shooting really light loads. THey can cause a max. load to pressure spike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts