Springfield XD Forum banner

.40SW v. .45ACP

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Brickboy240 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum, been lurking for awhile trying to do some research on the XD because I will hopefully become an owner within the next month. Just a few questions I wanted to ask because of the new spring of the .45 ACP thread...

1.) I understand why there is a lot of excitement about SA releasing this in a XD, but why are people being so quick to want to get rid of thier .40? Most posts I have read have been people praising the .40 and now it is like they can't get rid of it quick enough...

2.) With the upcomming release, isn't this going to send the .45 GAP on a downward spiral since the .45 ACP is proven and ammo is much more readily available?

3.) Being new to the gun world, how big is the difference between a .45 ACP and a .40 SW?

#2 ·
in regards to #2, I'm certain that knew they were going to do the ACP when they were releasing the GAP. My guess is that the tweaks they needed to do to the slide were small enough that the GAP release was a low-cost project. They probably saw an advantage in just getting to market with a .45 caliber option, even if it was the GAP. I don't think the ACP will totally kill the GAP sales--there are enough new shooters looking at these guns that aren't ACP snobs that may, for one reason or another, prefer the GAP to the ACP. Similar ballistics in a smaller package is a good selling feature.

I couldn't really speak to the rest.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :D

#3 ·
sjp2452 said:
for one reason or another, prefer the GAP to the ACP. Similar ballistics in a smaller package is a good selling feature.
not out looking to break balls but yes they have similar ballistics per (grandeur) "se"
for the most part target people are not interested in ballistics as much as a personal protection person..

and a personal protection person is going to be "Carrying" +p acp's and the gap dont come close to it

ballistics in my sig

my .02... let the gap die.. o hail the acp XD!

#5 ·
R/T Performance said:
I will keep my 40's but if I can get a reciver to hold 20 round 40 out of the 45 acp frame open here i come :twisted:
I agree R/T my XD-40 Service will be my CCW. I see no reason or great advantage of the 45ACP over the 40S&W for CC. I always saw the 40S&W as a nice compromise between the light fast bullet and high capacity of the 9mm and the slow heavy bullet and lower capacity of the 45ACP.

I do like the idea of making the XD-ACP into a 40S&W Limited gun or possible an open gun. I also don't have anything against the 45ACP either I just don't see it as the end-all be-all of CC cartridges.

mcb

#9 ·
I like your point about the speed/power balance, mcb. The .40 S&W is a proven cartridge that holds its own very well, and I certainly won't be running to replace mine with a .45.

#10 ·
Someone posted a link the other day in regards to setback in 180gr .40 rounds but it went through a good comparison between .40 and .45. Towards the end of the "article" it had a muzzle velocity and power factor chart... and they mention that some 165gr .40's can have the same power factor as a 230gr .45 (with greater muzzle velocity). Plus the round capacity...

One question... so, is SA going to keep the GAP capacity at 9 while the ACP gets 14 and the 40 gets 12?

Has anyone confirmed that the ACP lower will accept the 40 slide also?

#12 ·
I agree when you look at muzzle energy the 40S&W is not much more than 9mm +P. The reason I choose the 40S&W over 9mm for CCW was bullet mass not energy. As I have said earlier its a good compromise between 9mm and 45ACP in nearly all ways of comparing them. Light bullets like 115 grain, 124 grain 9mm bullet do funny things and are more likely to fail structurally in an adverse conditions. The 40S&W can push bullet that equals light 45ACP bullet weight but will have a better sectional density. This help the 40S&W penitrate in a straight line under a larger range of adverse condition than the 9mm. Any of the three is a good choice but...

mcb

#14 ·
I think that the .45 ACP is probably the most effective self defense handgun caliber (for automatics) simply because it makes the biggest hole and the 230 grain classic .45 hollowpoints have good penetration characteristics.

This is not to say other calibers are not highly effective defensive rounds. .40 is a very good round. I carry a 9mm often and feel totally confident that if I do my job (put rounds where they need to go) the 9mm JHPs will do their job.

.40 is an interesting round because you can stuff a lot of them in a pistol and they do have good expansion and penetration characteristics.

Of course, if the .45 ACP XD can stuff 13-14 rounds into it's frame, I personally don't see the need for a .40 XD :)

#15 ·
My interest in the ACP has more to do with caliber variety. Although subjective and opinionated, I always considered the .40 as more of a supercharged 9mm., and I had little interest in spending money for a small jump. The ACP however is in a completely different class of ballistics.

As for the GAP?...I've always considered it a niche' caliber, and the introduction of the "old feller" has just reinforced that opinion.

#16 ·
Many of us bought 40 XDs because there was no 45 ACP avaialable and if the choice is 9mm vs 40SW, well...I want the 40SW. It is a fine round, but you have to understand that some of us old-timers have been shooting 1911s in 45ACP for decades and are very "married" to the pistol and the 45ACP round. We're used to it...we have loads of 45ACP ammo and/or reloading dies and were reluctant to add the 40SW, as its just one more caliber to fool with.

Many guys, like me, have several 1911s in 45ACP and even Sig 220s or HKs in 45ACP and would have bought an XD in that caliber if it was available the first go-round. Its just easier to keep everything in one caliber...thats all.

Many younger shooters don't see the mystique and the allure of the old 45ACP. It just plain works...thats all. The round has been there and done that and is carried by military and law enforcement professionals for decades and has proven itself. Many of us grew up shooting 1911s or carried them in the service and we're familiar with the round and trust it and the guns that launch it. We don't see the need for anything else.

Look around and do some research on this round...you'll see what I am talking about.

- Brickboy240

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.