Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

It's probably been suggested already, so I apologize in advance if this is a repost, but what about a .40 cal cart based on the 45 GAP? Like the 400 Cor-Bon (a 45 ACP necked to 40) you could neck down a 45 GAP to 400 and have a zinger of a personal defense cartridge.

I've had a 400 Cor-Bon barrel for my 1911 for several years and love it. It would be great to have that kind of performance in my XD.

Brad

p.s. - Before you get any ideas, I've already contacted Cor-Bon with the suggestion. I even suggested a name - the 400 CBG (for Cor-Bon GAP).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sounds like another novelty round. One that probably wouldnt gather much popularity. I have a .400 corbon barrel for my 1911 that I got pretty cheap. I was not impressed with the round at all. I have only ran 20 rnds through it...never used it again.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
just like a .357 sig... Its a novelty round. However, in this case, I can never see a novelty round of a novelty round take off.

·
Registered
281 Posts
NExd said:
just like a .357 sig... Its a novelty round. However, in this case, I can never see a novelty round of a novelty round take off.
I think the .357 SIG is hardly a novelty round. It sees a fair amount of use by LE dept and by the Secret Service. I will agree it sees quite a bit less use than the .40, .45, and even 9mm. But at least depts are utilizing the round.

The only company that can push a novelty round off onto the consumer market and sucker them into is good ole S&W. The .40 S&W and now the .500 S&W Magnum. If anyone else had tried the same thing as S&W Im sure they would have failed at it. As far as Im concerned the .40 S&W was a big novelty round that should have never taken off but it did...because S&W can sucker the majority of us. Damn you S&W!!!!

Hey come to think about it NExd.....the 10mm is a "novelty" round now I would suppose. And the .357 SIG is based off of it...and you said thats a novelty round...so thats a novelty round of a novelty round that is seeing a fair amount use. Haha...eat my shorts buster!!! :lol:

All in fun of course man, all in fun!

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Ctkelly said:
NExd said:
I think the .357 SIG is hardly a novelty round. It sees a fair amount of use by LE dept and by the Secret Service. I will agree it sees quite a bit less use than the .40, .45, and even 9mm. But at least depts are utilizing the round.

The only company that can push a novelty round off onto the consumer market and sucker them into is good ole S&W. The .40 S&W and now the .500 S&W Magnum. If anyone else had tried the same thing as S&W Im sure they would have failed at it. As far as Im concerned the .40 S&W was a big novelty round that should have never taken off but it did...because S&W can sucker the majority of us. Damn you S&W!!!!

Hey come to think about it NExd.....the 10mm is a "novelty" round now I would suppose. And the .357 SIG is based off of it...and you said thats a novelty round...so thats a novelty round of a novelty round that is seeing a fair amount use. Haha...eat my shorts buster!!! :lol:

All in fun of course man, all in fun!
the 357 sig is based off a 40 S&W more than the 10mm (although it may have those roots with the 40 S&W). Since the 40 S&W is established round, it wouldnt be a novelty of a novelty

·
Registered
281 Posts
A couple arguements against the .357 SIG being closer based off of the .40S&W.

You cant form .357 SIG cases from a .40 as it would be .020 short. You could form them from 10mm but would have to develop your own loads due to the large primer vs small primer.

Max pressure listings:

.357 SIG 40,000
.40 S&W 35,000
10mm 37,500

So I would say the .357 SIG shares more in common with the 10mm than the .40 S&W. The casing is definately beefier than a .40 S&W. Ah to hell with it. Lets just agree that they are all from the 10mm family. :D

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
okay, i stand somewhat corrected.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
okay, i stand somewhat corrected.

·
Registered
138 Posts
the .40S&W was a "hey we aren't loading 10mm to it's potential so why not shorten it to fit in a 9mm frame?"

Then the .357sig was "hey, if we take a 9mm bullet and put that in a .40 case then we can come close to .357mag levels."

those are the general ideas.. When you actually get to engineering such a round things change. No, .357sig isn't .40 brass just necked down, but that is what the round is "based on" it has it's own brass and design parameters.

It's kind of like .45ACP vs. .45 super the .45super is "based on" .45ACP but uses different brass...

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
There was (is) a 9mm round based on the 10mm case, the 9xsomething Dillon (I don't remember the exact designation. It never caught on, but it would be kinda interesting. I always thought that Glock should market it as the .357 Glock Magnum. I thought that before the introduction of the .45 GAP, I still have that opinion :D

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
HAHAHA,I found this ont he net... Perfect fit

·
Registered
281 Posts
Exactly my thoughts!!! Kickass find NExd!!!!!

But since we are looking at weird options here....

How come we have to use a .40 cal bullet for our projects? Why not a .45 necked down to a .44 bullet....or .41 bullet? Oooh there we go......500 S&W necked down to .44 Mag. Hahaha. The possibilities are endless. Now someone get to making their own wildcat setup and test it out for us.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, looks like it's a moot point anyway. Apparently the folks at CorBon were thinking about the concept, but found that the finished case was too short to allow for enough material in the case neck to properly hold the seated bullet and still retain the necessary powder capacity.

Dang.

Brad

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ctkelly said:
Exactly my thoughts!!! Kickass find NExd!!!!!

But since we are looking at weird options here....

How come we have to use a .40 cal bullet for our projects? Why not a .45 necked down to a .44 bullet....or .41 bullet? Oooh there we go......500 S&W necked down to .44 Mag. Hahaha. The possibilities are endless. Now someone get to making their own wildcat setup and test it out for us.
I'd go for a necked down .45 GAP to a 9mm.... basically a .357 SUPER ULTRA MAGNUM

The idea would be to get ridiculously high velocities approaching high power rifles out of a pistol.... of course the pressures would be too high and it'd never happen...

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts