Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, new here but not to my tactical .40 xd. Had it over 10 years. Hoping to get some assistance with a failure to feed issue i experience about 1-2% of the time.

A long time ago (10+ yrs ago) i sent it to Springfield for the issue under warranty, they gave me a new recoil spring and polished/opened up the feed ramp. Barely can remember results of my testing of the issue resolution when it was returned to me from SA warranty repair. I lost faith in the pistol and stopped going to the range after that with it. Recently i have started going back to the range with it and still experiencing failure to feed each time I've gone recently. I marked the magazine it failed with to try and start tracking this better.

What's happening once the pistol is fired, is that the following round to be loaded gets pushed forward by the slide, but straight. Right into the locking block/feed ramp. No upward angle. Round is pushed about 25% forward from back of magazine toward muzzle in this ftf jam. I attached an image, sorry not that great, was at the range with crap lighting.

Any suggestions on what's causing this? Yesterday the ftf issue happened with Nosler brand 180gr JHP . Prior range trip was federal 180gr HST JHP. Before warranty years ago it was occurring with 165gr/180gr fmj blazer/wwb.

Tried searching Google and this forum, couldn't find much besides send it to SA and that most FTF are traceable back to the magazine. Is this true? Since I've owned the xd, i never replaced the mag springs. At least 5k rounds through it, likely much more.

Yesterday, i ordered OEM recoil spring, striker spring and striker return spring, manufac by SA. I also picked up +10% strength wolff mag springs. Hoping to give it a tune up.

I should mention i keep it very clean. After every range trip. Being 10+ years old it looks practical brand new besides wear from metal/metal contact surfaces. Extractor is clean not gunked up.

Any other suggestions? No limp wisting here, I'm experienced enough to shoot well.

Apologies for length and if posted in wrong section.

PS i want to replace the striker retainer pin when i replace the springs. Anyone confirm the size please? I read it's 1/8" x 5/8"? I plan to order some from mcmaster carr this week.

Thanks all! Hope to get this sorted and restore faith in this to protect my life. 馃嵒

Attachments

Registered
All of mine shove the round straight in, no angle no problem. Is there a nick or burr on your breech face, mag follower or feed ramp? Can you tap the slide and make it load? You didn鈥檛 mention if it did it with only one mag.

Registered
Absolutely the first thing to check are mags and ammo.

I'd be interested in trying a few more "ball" ammo, but if all you've got is just that one magazine, it's either time to replace the magazine spring - or better yet, to try a new magazine (and even better if that magazine has already been proven to work well in another known-functioning XD .40.

5K through just that 1 magazine (at a nominal of 16 rounds per mag), that's over 300 cycles. That's quite a bit.... If that round-count is spread over a few different magazines, that gets amortized quite quickly, and then the magazine spring becomes less and less likely the main suspect. However, it's also impossible to say that the particular magazine springs you have were absolutely manufactured properly - with faults of-course leading to early failure - so that's always a wild-card, too.

Typically, with magazine springs that's getting weak the first thing you'll notice is a lack of ability of the follower to consistently lock back the slide on-empty, followed by feeding issues where the spring just can't keep up with cyclic rate.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies.

I'll check the feed ramp, follower, locking block, breech face for burrs when i clean it. I'll take some images too. I've tried to tap the back of the slide but the nose of the bullet jams straight rather than slide up the feed ramp. This last time it happened i just dropped the mag, pushed round back into mag, reinserted mag back and dropped the slide release

Btw I have four 10rd mags and just started marking them this last range trip. I'll watch for patterns of failure

It's funny you mentioned slide lock issues with weak springs. There was one occurrence when the slide did not lock back after the last round the day it jammed. 馃 I'll need to take better notes if it occurs again. I figured my grip held the slide lock down preventing it from locking.

I've tried many different types of ammo. So far after the warranty work it's only had ftf with jhp. No issues with fmj that i can recall after they polished and opened the feed ramp.

Seems like i need to wait for the new springs and test it out. I'll report back once they come in.

Also, if anyone can confirm striker retaining pin size would appreciate much 馃嵒

Registered
I think the retaining pin is metric. And one other thing I forgot was, have you ever taken apart and cleaned your magazines? We always clean the gun but the mags get forgotten. Check the feed lips for burrs too while you have them apart.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before i started experiencing this issue the first couple thousands rounds the xd had no issues at all.

Great point! I did clean the mags very thoroughly prior to my last range trip. Used hoppes #9 solvent and no oil.

Re the striker pin, i noticed prior threads the size was metric, 3mm x 16mm which converted i think is 1/8 x 5/8"

I plan to call SA today to confirm pin size and see what they suggest about the FTFs

Thanks for the suggestions y'all

Registered
Before i started experiencing this issue the first couple thousands rounds the xd had no issues at all.

Great point! I did clean the mags very thoroughly prior to my last range trip. Used hoppes #9 solvent and no oil.

Re the striker pin, i noticed prior threads the size was metric, 3mm x 16mm which converted i think is 1/8 x 5/8"

I plan to call SA today to confirm pin size and see what they suggest about the FTFs

Thanks for the suggestions y'all

Order the pin in metric.
Link:

Registered
Hi all, new here but not to my tactical .40 xd. Had it over 10 years. Hoping to get some assistance with a failure to feed issue i experience about 1-2% of the time.

A long time ago (10+ yrs ago) i sent it to Springfield for the issue under warranty, they gave me a new recoil spring and polished/opened up the feed ramp. Barely can remember results of my testing of the issue resolution when it was returned to me from SA warranty repair. I lost faith in the pistol and stopped going to the range after that with it. Recently i have started going back to the range with it and still experiencing failure to feed each time I've gone recently. I marked the magazine it failed with to try and start tracking this better.

What's happening once the pistol is fired, is that the following round to be loaded gets pushed forward by the slide, but straight. Right into the locking block/feed ramp. No upward angle. Round is pushed about 25% forward from back of magazine toward muzzle in this ftf jam. I attached an image, sorry not that great, was at the range with crap lighting.

Any suggestions on what's causing this? Yesterday the ftf issue happened with Nosler brand 180gr JHP . Prior range trip was federal 180gr HST JHP. Before warranty years ago it was occurring with 165gr/180gr fmj blazer/wwb.

Tried searching Google and this forum, couldn't find much besides send it to SA and that most FTF are traceable back to the magazine. Is this true? Since I've owned the xd, i never replaced the mag springs. At least 5k rounds through it, likely much more.

Yesterday, i ordered OEM recoil spring, striker spring and striker return spring, manufac by SA. I also picked up +10% strength wolff mag springs. Hoping to give it a tune up.

I should mention i keep it very clean. After every range trip. Being 10+ years old it looks practical brand new besides wear from metal/metal contact surfaces. Extractor is clean not gunked up.

Any other suggestions? No limp wisting here, I'm experienced enough to shoot well.

Apologies for length and if posted in wrong section.

PS i want to replace the striker retainer pin when i replace the springs. Anyone confirm the size please? I read it's 1/8" x 5/8"? I plan to order some from mcmaster carr this week.

Thanks all! Hope to get this sorted and restore faith in this to protect my life. 馃嵒
IDK about that specific model but they really aren鈥檛 that different from today鈥檚, in fact most SA鈥檚 鈥済uts鈥 are similar. Yet the 鈥.40鈥檚鈥 are getting harder to find. I鈥檓 pretty sure they鈥檝e stopped making them. Anyone on that thought? After 10yrs I would say that it should have an entire overhaul!!!! Every spring and even the least thought of part. Hell I鈥檇 change the barrel (I do for my FA鈥檚). It just might be time to retire her and get something new.
What is the saying? 鈥淭ake that old $20 bill and change it for 2 new $10鈥檚鈥

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the new replies y'all. I ended up ordering 1/8 x 5/8 420 stainless steel slotted pins from mcmaster carr. 100 for 9 bucks. When I called Springfield they confirmed the size I purchased is correct.

I stay away from coiled pins as they are weaker per specs on mcmaster website.

Wolff has a 25 day lead time on shipping so going to be a while before I can give an update.

I don't think they sell tacticals anymore and definitely not in the 40 caliber. Although it's old it likely has less than 10,000 rounds through it, no more than 15k for sure. Definitely not retiring it. It's my first pistol and has sentimental value. I'll do what I can to keep it in service.

After I sent it to Springfield for warranty I lost faith in it and lost interest in the sport. It pretty much just sat as a paperweight.

I didn't find any burrs on the locking block or the feed ramp. Also no burrs found on the follower. Tried to compare the opening at the top of the magazine against each other and they seem to be okay not much difference

Springfield did let me know that if I keep the magazines loaded, which I do, I should cycle them every 30 days. Two of the mags were probably sitting there loaded for over 9 years without cycling. As I always understood springs do not wear under compression they wear through cycling but once I get these new springs I'll be sure to cycle them every month just to be safe. Wondering if anyone here has any input on springs losing their tension when they're under compression for long periods of time?

Registered
The striker spring has nothing to do with your problem Change mag and recoil spring.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: 1/8" x 5/8" is incorrect striker retainer pin size. Diameter is too big. As recommended above purchase 3mm x 16mm.馃馃徑

1 - 13 of 13 Posts