Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any love for the ported XD's? Don't see much talk on here about them. I am new here and just bought one. I wasn't actually looking to purchase the ported model. Buds Gun Shop's description mentioned nothing of a ported barrel, I thought I was getting the standard model until after I ordered it and cross checked the model number on springfields website. I didn't want to hassle with a return and actually like the gun. The only thing that sucks is the cleaning part of it. I've read of the crack on the slide but it seems that has been fixed. Just wanted to see if anyone else is shooting one of these and your thoughts.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Welcome to the forum Porter .40, from Texas.

Have never shot one, nor know too much about their production status. But Combat Handguns did a nice write up about them this month. It looks really SWEET, and thought was reasonably priced too. Wouldn't mind putting one of these on my christmas list.

Tactical-Life.com » SPRINGFIELD XD SERVICE V-10

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I don't like ported guns, but....
As I understand it, it was the 9mm version that had the cracking problem, the foatys were ok.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Read the artical in Combat Handguns the ports are taking metal fragments out of the bullets. I cant see the porting making that much difference and 5 holes on each side of the barrel can only weaken the barrel but thats just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Read the artical in Combat Handguns the ports are taking metal fragments out of the bullets. I cant see the porting making that much difference and 5 holes on each side of the barrel can only weaken the barrel but thats just my 2 cents.
bub,

I am not doubting what you are stating is in Combat Handguns but these V-10 guns have been out for a while and this is the first that I have heard of this happening to either 9, 357, or 40 guns.

I would lalso think that if they were taking part of the copper off of the bullets being shot then both accuracy and velocity would be affected. With this in mind if Springfield has approved of this modification to both the slide and the barrel I don't think they would let this pass their QC procedures, even though they are not producing them directly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've shot over 400 rds through it and haven't noticed any fragments on my clothing or nearby. I picked up combat handguns this weekend and was a little surprised by that section of the article.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I personally have never liked ported guns. The add muzzle flash and you can't shoot lead. A quick fix is getting an after market non ported barrel.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I like options so I guess if you don't mind the expense of buying a second barrel, you can have a ported XD when you want and a non ported XD when you don't. I'd search around for posts of someone talking about post-purchase experiences of aftermarket .40 barrels and offer to buy the stock one on the cheap. Options are good.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Would anyone know what the ballistic coefficient "loss" would be from a ported barrel....if any??

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Would anyone know what the ballistic coefficient "loss" would be from a ported barrel....if any??
I've never seen any studies done on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts