Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a winter of working on the house I finally got back down to the basement and loaded 4 test loads for the upcoming USPSA/IPSC season. I previously used the first load listed 4.6 at 1.130 oal for last season, but wanted to see if I could get softer loads if possible.

View attachment 50654
Based on the data above, does anyone have any suggestions on where to go? I am shooting a 40 to maintain major points, does shortening up another .010" and going to 4.4 grains make anyone nervous that I may see pressure indications at that short length with the 180gr bullets. Naturally I want as soft a shooting load as possible with some safety factor on PF.

Also, does it make sense for me to use 180gr? I have always been under the impression that a heavier bullet will yield a "push" instead of "snappy" recoil, and with the 40 already being snappy that's the direction I've traveled the last year or two.

I have also tried Power Pistol with awful results for consistency, not sure if I should try a slower burning powder for a softer feel. Been pretty happy with the first load listed, but want to improve if possible.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
40 major is snappy, no real way around that. I can't enlarge the attachment, so not sure what powder you are running, but decreasing OAL & powder charge does little for you, same vel will likely result. The modest reduction of 2/10 powder isn't changing the recoil impulse much. YOu could try 200gr bullets @ about 830, pretty soft, like 45 target ammo. Many guys are going this route.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I moved up to 200's (blue bullets RNFP,) out of my M&P 40. I'm averaging 850 fps just about 170 PF at 1.130 with WSF 4.6gr. Lot more push than snap. They are very accurate.

Your average of 170 PF is a good place to be. I've tried a number of powders in .40 and kept coming back to WSF, so that is where I stay now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since you can't zoom, I am running 4.5/4.6 he bullseye at near Max oal. I'm going to go check to see if I have data on a 200he bullet, but i had read where people thought 180 was already too large a bullet in a high pressure cartridge.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may look at that, but I've got 8 lbs of bullseye on my bench. Time to load about 10K and then search for a new load. :)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I don't like 40 major with anything faster than W231 but many push that with BE, TG, etc. It's just asking for a setback/kb IMO.W hen shooting full power or 40 major, I also like WSF, but recoil impulse will go up a bit vs a faster powder. If you can get a 200gr to shoot well, I could not w/o pushing it harder, then it's not a bad way to go, I just might look at a bit slower powder like w231/hp38 at a min.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I agree, bullseye is a bit fast for a higher vel .40 load.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts