Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw an add for XD barrels claiming that you just drop it in and go. Has anyone tried this? Is it as reliable as with the barrel it came with? I am thinking of going 5" .40 to 9mm for IDPA. Is there anything else involved? Do the sights still hold? extractor work properly? etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im in the process of buying a XD 4" SVC but I havent decided in between .40 and 9mm. This will be my first handgun. I was thinking about the .40 and buying the 9mm barrel. So my question is same as the person that posted this can you do that and which one would be better for a "newbie"

·
Registered
223 Posts
RDKII said:
Saw an add for XD barrels claiming that you just drop it in and go. Has anyone tried this? Is it as reliable as with the barrel it came with? I am thinking of going 5" .40 to 9mm for IDPA. Is there anything else involved? Do the sights still hold? extractor work properly? etc?

Thanks
Yup, I use a 9mm Bar-Sto in a .40 frame. Works like a charm. Several folks out here have had good luck with EFK brand as well. I think both Old-School and the other fellow (whose name I cannot recall) sell the EFK models, and might do Bar-Sto as well.

Edit: Doh! Didn't even register that it was OS who posted above me ).

T

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I hope this is not too stupid of a question but, would it be a good idea to put at conversion, 9mm barrel of 5" length in a XD-40 Service, 4" barrel frame? Better accuracy would be the reason.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
NewXD40fun said:
I hope this is not too stupid of a question but, would it be a good idea to put at conversion, 9mm barrel of 5" length in a XD-40 Service, 4" barrel frame? Better accuracy would be the reason.
You can install a 5" conversion barrel in a 4" frame. Not sure how much accurate it would be. The ported barrels, in a sense, are just that. A 5" barrel in a 4" frame.

OS

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
NewXD40fun said:

Tom
Fine... as long as your not using the pistol as a carry gun.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Old School said:
NewXD40fun said:
You can install a 5" conversion barrel in a 4" frame. Not sure how much accurate it would be. The ported barrels, in a sense, are just that. A 5" barrel in a 4" frame.

OS
I thought that the longer the barrel the more inherently accurate the pistol. Unless that one inch longer barrel is just not significantly longer enough to pay off with increased accuracy.

I've seen pictures of match pistols with extended barrels and was just wondering if it was advantageous for the money.

I realize that the barrel sticking out of the frame would preclude carry options.

Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I realize that the barrel sticking out of the frame would preclude carry options.

Why?? Can't see why this in and of itself would disqualify for carry.

But my question is on the same. Say I put a 9mm barrel in my .40. This is hypothetical as it would be silly for carry, but why would this disqualify the gun for carry? For the sake of reason lets assume the opposit, I have a 9mm 4" I use for some shooting sport but would like to turn it into a better carry gun. Why would installing a .40 barrel be a bad idea??

Is it the case that there is no difference other than markings between these guns except for the sixe of the chamber/barrel??

Rick

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the EFK 9 mm barrel in my XD 40 Service. It has worked very well.

My son and I can shoot the inexpensive 9 mm all day when we are just out to have fun. I can shoot 40 S&W when I am serious. It's been great - like a two in one for a reasonable price.

Heck, I may even try the 357 sig barrel.

I;ll repeat this just because I'm driven to it: for me, the XD points the most naturally and is the most comfortable handgun I have ever owned. After having the XD for a while, I sold a Glock G26 and a G36 that seemed to sit alone and forlornly in my gun case.

Ron

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
RDKII said:
Why?? Can't see why this in and of itself would disqualify for carry.
Rick
I think it was mentioned because there would be one inch of the 5" 9mm barrel sticking out of the 4" XD-40 frame. Could be a holster problem I guess.

Tom

·
Registered
223 Posts
NewXD40fun said:
I thought that the longer the barrel the more inherently accurate the pistol. Unless that one inch longer barrel is just not significantly longer enough to pay off with increased accuracy.

I've seen pictures of match pistols with extended barrels and was just wondering if it was advantageous for the money.

Tom
It's not so much barrel length in guns this size as it is sight picture. Since the slide occludes the end of a protruding barrel, you're not going to get much extra sight picture out of the deal.

Longer barrels can be very useful if you've got an extremely well-tailored bullet/powder combination (i.e., if you know the rate of expansion and length of burn, etc., you might have a barrel specifically cut to your specs), but for the most part they're not going to be inherently more accurate. A lot of what you'll see in competition in the protruding barrel are for compensators (for instance, tons of 1911s are modified this way).

You'll get a lot more performance/accuracy gain out of making sure your parts fit cleanly than you will by adding an extra inch to your barrel. I'd suggest a smooth, light trigger, and if there is significant rattle in your weapon then maybe look at getting a custom bushing done. Check your guide springs too, changing the spring weights can really help recoil.

HTH -

T

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Thanks ttheobald, that makes perfect sense.

Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts