Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon a lot of research, I decided to buy a Storm Lake conversion barrel for my XD40T.

Mostly because they had a much better reputation than EFK Firedragon.

I have been very impressed with it.

I have owned it for more than a year now and have fired probably a little over 400 rounds through it and have had a grand total of 1 failure to extract. Otherwise it has ran flawlessly and is surprisingly accurate.

My main reason for wanting the conversion barrel is it allows me to shoot more than one caliber. If there is anything I have learned over the years, ammo shortages can be a royal pain, so having options is always a good thing, and since I own numerous 9mm handguns and carbines, I usually keep some 9mm available.

If you purchase the conversion barrel, just keep in mind that you can't go upwards in caliber. And you will also have to use dedicated 9mm magazines when you are running the 9mm barrel for obvious reasons. Both the 9mm and .40 magazines fit the same in the magwell so you do not have to modify the grip or the mags.

Anyway, I just wanted to give an honest update on the storm lake barrel after having time to use it occasionally instead of giving a blind review straight out of the box.

VIDEO

·
Registered
2 Posts
they had a much better reputation than EFK Firedragon.
Funny you should say that,... when I first got my Firedragon it was having a failure to extract at least once per 10 round mag for the first two boxes of ammo. The ammo was American eagle. since then with federal from Walmart I haven't had any more failures. ( http://www.gunlistings.org/uploads/1_ammo_federal_american_eagle_9mm_147_grain_fmj_110369.jpg ) II ordered a 15lb recoil spring to see if a lighter spring might help with the lighter 9mm rounds.

Are you using the factory XD 40 Tactical recoil spring with the 9mm barrel? Am I barking up the wrong tree with the recoil spring?

Thanks,...

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using a sprinco 2 stage recoil spring in my XD. I keep it in it regardless of caliber.

It is also a reduced recoil spring, though I don't recall exactly what weight. Guessing, I would say about 16-18 pounds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts