Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all..

I'm looking for a known good Steel load for 155gr heads.
I came across a deal and acquired 500 155gr PrecisionBullet Moly heads...

I normally use 180gr jacketed, but I wanted to try something different for goofs...

I have worked up a preliminary load using 3.8 - 4.0 gr titegroup at about 1.135 OAL and a firm taper crimp...

I also load with Clay's as well...
This will be used for steel poppers as well as plates (8") and plate rack...
Don't have much time to test, thus the reason for my inquiry...match is Saturday....
Thanks in advance for the help...

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Try dropping that to 3.5 grains, I use 3.7 of VV320 over a 180 but 3.5 will still funtion. I would think that 3.5 would be a good load for a 155.
VV320 and Tightgroup have ALMOST identical burn rates and you will be well within the safety zone.

Do a test fire before you use this load in a match to make sure the empties eject ok.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
One thing you'll notice is you need less powder with a moly bullet than with a comparable lead bullet. They are much slicker. Example, i use a JHP 180 in my .40 loads 4.9-5.0 gr VV320... I can get by with 4.5 gr. of VV320 with a 180 moly and get the same velocity.

Last i heard precision was going out of business again..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gracias for the load data... I'm gonna work up a few and test em out...

I'm runnin a XD40 Tactical with 16# spring....

Been using 3.1gr Clay's with a WestCoast 180gr jacketed head...
WSP primer and mostly Remingtin, Federal, and Winchester brass...

.420 crimp and 1.135 & 1.14 OAL ...no feeding problems after I run them all through the Lee crimp die....

they dont have much too em at all... totally flat, and second shot is almost right next to the first... empties get flung up and away with ease....
Havent chrono'd em yet, so I'm not sure what the power factor is.... but they will take down a steel plate and poppers with ease....

Can't wait to try these 155 gr ... Should be fun.. I will post what I come up with as well as performance....

thanks for all the help... needed a starting point...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts