Springfield XD Forum banner

.40 service or subbie?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  OleFart 
#1 ·
Hey, fellas. I'm a noob. I read a lot on this forum and did a lot of research before i decided on an XD. I put a .40 cal service XD on layaway Monday. After all the research and reading, now i'm torn between the service and the sub. The gun will be for home defense and to carry in my vehicle (i live in Arkansas, and you don't have to have a ccl for keeping a firearm in your car if you're traveling more than 30 miles, not a prob for me, i average about 1,000 miles a week), but mostly it will be shot at the range. I like the way the service feels in my hand, and the barrel conversion, but i like the smallness and concealability of the sub (i am going to get my ccl eventually), and i also like the fact that you can put a full size mag in the sub and it feels right with a sleeve. So, based on yall's expertise, which one should i get? I'm sure the guy will let me swap for a sub if i want to. And before you say it, yes, i probably end up getting both of them, but i don't know which would be better for the first. This will be my first pistol in a while (i had to pawn my other ones a while back when i was hurting for money). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoyed killing time on this site, and look forward to doing it for a long time.

Oh yeah, Old School, forum members get a 50% discount, right? :D :D :D

See less See more
#2 ·
My frind uses a compact XD in 9mm, and he loves it. I have used it a few times, but I don't like it that much, I find that it tends to "twist" to the left when shot. (due to it's lighter weight.) I use the tactical in .40 cal, and have A .45GAP conversion on the way.
I don't have any time with the service model, so I can't say on it.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum.
I would just go with the Service mod for now, and then after you pick that one up just put a SC on layaway.
If you are not gonig to carry right away, you would be better off with the full size gun to start with. When you do get a permit you can carry the full size, I carry one almost every day, and it's not that big a deal.
Once you get one you will want another one anyway.
I have a XD40 Tactical for IPSC, two XD40 Service models, and a XD40SC. I like them all but I would go with the Service model first.

#4 ·
cool, preciate the info so far. I'm going to the range to rent a subbie tomorrow and see if it feels as good as the service. That's along the same lines i was thinking, shooter, and also my buddy has the 40 sub, so if nothing else i can shoot his and buy it when he gets tired of it, he he.

#6 ·
I have TWO SC's...the 9mm and the .40. If I had it to do over again I would have made one of them a service....at least at first. If you plan on doing a large amount of shooting at the range a service in the .40 is much more manageable. The .40 SC is a pretty snappy (and loud) gun, especially with defense loads in it. With WWB it isnt TOO bad but it's not a gun I enjoy shooting more than 100-150 MAX per range visit. I think if I had a service I would be able to easily double that # before I got wore out.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my XD SC's and would not trade them for anything.....BUT an XD-40 Service is in my VERY near future for range trips and just cause I plain want another XD. These guns are addictive as they come. I CCW pretty much every time I walk out of my house. I initially had XD-9 SC that I sent out for a CC trigger job and Fusion finish....I felt naked and that's when I jumped on the .40 SC. I just didnt feel right without one on my side.

Either way I don't know that you will go wrong but for the time being I would probably start with the service and then purchase a subbie.

Enjoy your new pistol whichever one it is.

#7 ·
I have several pistols but lately I go mostly with my 1911 and my XD40SC. When I cycle my other guns through, it's generally the 1911 that stays home.

Using Gold Dot I find that I shoot just as well with the SC as the 1911. That bothers me because like most folk I've got an emotional bond with my 1911. :?

You have the right idea -- try them all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.