Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing around with remingtons ballistics info and was a little suprised to see that 40S&W is as good if not better than 45ACP in some cases. I'm sure I'll get ripped a new one for this but! on the remington site they list 180 grain remington express JHP at 368 ft/lbs of energy at 50 (feet? yards?) and 185 grain remington express JHP 45acp at 362 ft/lbs of energy. I'm ballistics expert but more energy in a bullet with smaller area I would think it going to be more powerfull on impact. So can someone enlighten me to the differences between these two calibers?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Even if you take away all the hollowpoint hype, the .40 makes a pretty good showing.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1593676&postcount=129

If you spend some time going to autopsies and visitng with coroners, you'll discover pretty quick that almost none of them will guess at whether a handgun wound was made by a JHP or ball round- because the difference in the wound channel is almost nil.

Think of a handgun as a long-range punch press, and it starts to makes sense. Where you put that hole is a whole lot more important than whether you used a 3/8 or 7/16 inch bit.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Thanks, rooster. Too many years of sorting out the results of human mayhem have convinced me that the thousands of gallons of ink devoted to the topic of "one-shot stops" might have been better spent making targets, and memos to people directing them to LEARN HOW TO SHOOT.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
hey ichy, how do you like your Ruger Super Black hawk?
im thinking of getting one of these to deer and hog hunt with.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is a reason I picked the XD 40.. I'm just brave enough to challange the 45acp as being the god it is made out to be! Actually I was my own looking and wanted to see if there was more info out there than what I found.

I kind of have a thing for good old FMJ. It just seems like a better way to get through bones etc. But then again thats a whole different topic! :)

although I'd love to load some custom rounds with the barnes XPB (I think?) all brass bullets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I made a reseting target pictured below. Shooting it with the .40 180gr. win. white box, it will swing the targets up sometimes, and it wont reset when the top one is hit. Shooting it with the .45 230 gr. win. white box it tosses those babies around with authority and resets it easily. I know the bullet weights are alot different but I if my life was on the line I would want the .45 in my hand.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Tuco said:
I made a reseting target pictured below. Shooting it with the .40 180gr. win. white box, it will swing the targets up sometimes, and it wont reset when the top one is hit. Shooting it with the .45 230 gr. win. white box it tosses those babies around with authority and resets it easily. I know the bullet weights are alot different but I if my life was on the line I would want the .45 in my hand.
{snipped images}
Even thought WWB 180 40S&W have 390ft-lbs of kinetic energy (K=0.5*m*v^2) compared to the slight less energetic WWB 230 45ACP at only 356ft-lbs of kinetic energy if your going to compare there performance of flipping those swinging targets you need to look at the bullets momentum not kinetic energy.

If we calculate the momentum (P=m*v) of the two loads WWB 180 40S&W has 0.7913 slug-ft/sec where the heavier and slower WWB 230 grain 45ACP has 0.8528 slug-ft/sec. The 45 has nearly 8% more momentum.

So even though the 40 has more kinetic energy the 45 has more momentum and thus when it collides in a very inelastic collision with the steel swinger it has more momentum to impart in the plate, thus the plate depart the collision at a higher velocity. Now if you look at the point of impact the 40 S&W should do more local deformation of the steel at the point of impact do to its higher kinetic energy, assuming the steel is not heat treated hard enough to resist the impact.

With these two loads you should get faster movement of the steel swinger with the 45 but if the steel was soft enough you would get deeper local deformation in the steel with the 40 S&W.

Your observations seem to support this. But this is steel not bad guys…

Rambling
mcb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts