Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
135 gr / 155 gr / 180 gr / 200 gr

what is your favorite load

i have been pumping out the 180's but i have read some numbers - and i like the 155 Hornady XTP/HP as well. give a response whether you are a LEO or an IDPA shooter - just curious

i have an 40 XD Tac - curious what you like and why

please no 10mm crybabies from the Glock crowd

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
180 gr bunny fart loads for IDPA ESP and USPSA Production Divisions. USPSA L10 180gr in major PF, and use the same for my SW 646 wheel gun in IDPA ESR.
The 180s seem to shoot softer than the lighter ones. Haven't tried the 200gr, and don't expect I will.
Currently reloading with the Berrys 180gr RN (the only round nose .40 I have found). Have also used the Hornady XTP in 180 with good results, but spendy.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have tried 200gr loads before, out of a Para P16, and an STI, and I thought that they cycled kinda like a 45acp, I also tried the 155gr, and I shot those for awhile, they made the gun feel real snappy, and the slide moved real quick. I found that I liked shooting ammo loaded with 180gr bullets the best, it wasn't as fast as the 155s, but faster then the 200s. I sometimes felt like I had to wait for the slide to cycle with the 200s, and the sights seemed to track better with the 180s.
That was shooting USPSA Limited at a major power factor. When I switched to Production, and started shooting minor I tried just using the same powder charge as I did with the 180gr bullets and just switching to 165s. That worked ok then I tried cutting back the charge and using up the rest of the 180gr bullets I had left. When the 180s were gone I went back to the 165s, and loaded them lighter and lighter until I got a load down aroud a 140 power factor, and that load in an XD40 Tactical with an 18# spring has turned out to be one of the flatest shooting loads I have ever used. I don't have to worry about not making minor :shock: , and the sights come right back to the middle of the A zone, if I do my part.

If you want to try a good JHP without going broke try the ZERO bullets, and you can find them at www.ghostholster.com they run $165 for 2000 of the 165s and that includes shipping.

Well that's what this IPSC shooter uses if that's any help :D .

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I am presently loading 180 grain Berry's RS for USPSA shooting. I am shooting Limited-10 with my XD-40 Tactical. I am going to try 1000 180 grain Montaina Gold bullet this weekend. I am loading them to a PF of about 172 using 4.5 grains of Titegroup and Federal primers. I would like to try the 200 grain bullets but due to how much case space they take up a slight over seat of a 200 grain bullet can cause dramatic spikes in pressure. I will probably try the 200 when I can load them long for revolver next year if I ever find a S&W 610.

mcb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts