Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a while back about someone wanting to know about problems with .40 S&W rounds blowing out. Yes, it is true. Here in my hometown, at the local indoor range, it is happening quite often. In fact, it happened to me last Thursday. On mine, I attributed the blown case to a Glock case that I probably reloaded when resized to get the bulge out, it stretches the case and weakens it. Thank goodness I had a strong pistol and not a plastic gun. All it did was a loud "POOF" and blew burned powder all over me. A very tiny piece of brass, I think, hit me on the nose and caused it to bleed a little, but other than that, no problem. A week before a guy had a brand new Glock with factory ammo and it blew up the whole gun. The factory sent a rep over and bought him a new gun and paid his doctor bill to get his hand sewn up. Yesterday I saw some 9mm on the floor with blown out cases. Yall be careful out there. Evey time you pull that trigger, a potential bomb might go off.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I read a while back about someone wanting to know about problems with .40 S&W rounds blowing out. Yes, it is true. Here in my hometown, at the local indoor range, it is happening quite often. In fact, it happened to me last Thursday. On mine, I attributed the blown case to a Glock case that I probably reloaded when resized to get the bulge out, it stretches the case and weakens it. Thank goodness I had a strong pistol and not a plastic gun. All it did was a loud "POOF" and blew burned powder all over me. A very tiny piece of brass, I think, hit me on the nose and caused it to bleed a little, but other than that, no problem. A week before a guy had a brand new Glock with factory ammo and it blew up the whole gun. The factory sent a rep over and bought him a new gun and paid his doctor bill to get his hand sewn up. Yesterday I saw some 9mm on the floor with blown out cases. Yall be careful out there. Evey time you pull that trigger, a potential bomb might go off.

I ain't skeered. I have confidence in my chosen weapons.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
What kind of pistol were you shooting?

What was your load you were shooting out of said pistol?

Good to hear you are OK.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hmmm i have never had anything like that happen on my xd40sc.. Ive prob put close to 1000 rds through it ... I think there is more to this story that is making things explode

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Were you shooting factory loads? If so were they an off brand, or foreign made load?
I have been shooting winchester white box, and I have not been having any trouble at all with it.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I think Dooberson has a good point. Fortunately, all my semis have fully supported chambers, so this ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Hmmmm....I smell fish. :?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Many thousands of .40 fired and many of 10s of thousands total fired my me, and my shooting buddies with no problems. Might me user error, double charge or over charge on reloads.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Yeah, tough to blame the cartridge when it's often shooter error or bad ammo Anyone shooting range reloads or gunshow reloads is a Darwin project waiting to happen, especially in 40. There is jut no margin for error in that round. Small vloumn, heavy bullet @ high pressures. The only round I have ever seen blow out was a 9nn, reload w/ crap Federal brass in a M92. I have fird or seen fired several 100,000 rds in my not so short life.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
never seen it happen

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have been shooting for 22 years. I have never seen this happen.

Some cardinal rules of shooting I've learned over the years:

1. Only use reloads that you yourself made.
2. If you don't reload, buy american ammo. Foreign ammo is generally crap. Thats why its cheap.
3. If you keep a stockpile of range ammo or buy it before going, (as I do) inspect each round for abnormalities. 3 dets taught me that lesson real quick. The whole batch was just bad. I no longer use Remington ammo as their quality control is ****.

Some guns are picky about ammo. My ruger mark II doesn't like anything remington. I feed it CCI and its smooth running. My m1 carbine won't eat anything with steel cases. Brass only.

I've had two .40s. XD 4" w/ 1200 rounds through it, no failures, I have my Beretta PX4 .40 500+rounds, no failures.

I've heard, by friends and range people, that some of the euro ammo's cases are weak and can "explode" though I don't necessarily believe that.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
.40 is my preferred caliber and have sent literally thousands of rounds downrange with many different types of guns. Never had any problems with factory ammo. 40 s&w is a round that I would not use reloads.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
i see this as a bigfoot kind of thing. I will not believe until i see it myself.
Hey he is real I swear I seen him. Now it must be true.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Pics????

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have shot thousands as well many reloaded from Glock cases. As long as the chamber is fully supported, it really should not be an issue. My buddy shot them out of his Glock and have not had issues. I would check and see if the chamber is fully supported.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
More than 15 hours waiting for a reply by the OP............?

I would like to see a pic of the pistol and reloads. A description would be nice.

A reply of any sort would be great.................

I only have a few thousand of my .40 reloads through my XD's. No issues.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts