Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

WTF?

I did not think that a +P specification for 40S&W was ever approved by SAAMI? But some ammunition manufactures puts +P on there 40 S&W. From the head stamp and a quick search of the internet I think the ammunition was originally from Intrac Arms International MFS.

The listing over at Cheaper than Dirt [http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=AMM-543] has the following description.

Code:
Law Enforcement Grade Ammo Ammunition designed for maximum penetration and stopping power, while still bargain priced; all +P ammunition for top performance, brass case, boxer primed, non-corrosive, ISO 9001 standard quality, within SAAMI and CIP standards. .40-S&W, 170gr, FMJ+P, 1200FPS and 542ft lbs.
The description claims SAAMI but there is not SAAMI for 40S&W +P so if it is truly SAAMI then its just plain 40S&W and the +P is just erroneous hype. That or it might be some dangerous stuff.

I found the case last night in my box of range brass as I was reloading from. I sort though my brass and only reload Federal, Remington, and Winchester brass the rest gets dropped in a bastard brass box. Have any of you guys encountered +P 40S&W?

mcb

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are no +p specs for .40SW but a few ammo companies put it on their brass anyways. Cor-Bon used to have it on their 135gr .40SW rounds but not anymore.

BKVic

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know there is no +P spec for 40S&W. I think it’s completely irresponsible for a manufacture to head stamp erroneous information on a case

mcb

·
Registered
18 Posts
<<Law Enforcement Grade Ammo Ammunition designed for maximum penetration and stopping power, while still bargain priced; all +P ammunition for top performance, brass case, boxer primed, non-corrosive, ISO 9001 standard quality, within SAAMI and CIP standards. .40-S&W, 170gr, FMJ+P, 1200FPS and 542ft lbs.>>

WTF is right! :shock:
Their is no way, somebody is lying about something.
Their is no powder that will push a 170 gr. bullet 1200 fps out of a 4” test barrel and stay under SAMMI’s 35K pressure limit for the 40 S&W.
Either the pressure is WAY over or the velocity was measured from a longer barrel. (like maybe a 16” carbine barrel)?

Doc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
[quote="GunDoc
WTF is right! :shock:
Their is no way, somebody is lying about something.
Their is no powder that will push a 170 gr. bullet 1200 fps out of a 4” test barrel and stay under SAMMI’s 35K pressure limit for the 40 S&W.
Either the pressure is WAY over or the velocity was measured from a longer barrel. (like maybe a 16” carbine barrel)?

Doc.[/quote]

Well... Doubletap has a 165Gr load @1200fps, so its not utterly imposable.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Georgia Arms Shear supposedley has some.

All of their 40SW stuff is rated at either +p OR +p+.

Here you go-

http://www.georgia-arms.com/shear.htm

On a side note I think their product is crap...at least their .380 stuff was.

I purchased 200 rounds. And while the first 100 went bang without a hitch the second batch were so funky that they constantly got jammed up and would not eject....but hey they do have +p .40 ammo...or so they say. :roll:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Purists may not like the name "45 Long Colt", but you still know what someone is talking about when the name is said. The people that get their feathers ruffled over LC are the same ones that get all pissy when you call a magazine a clip. What is the BFD? You know what they are talking about, nobody is going to die over it, grow the hell up.

My worry is someone loading up a +P .40 S&W, which is already a high pressure round. Lets say the person is new to this caliber, chambers the round a couple times, and the bullet is set back in the case. Clip won't get you hurt, Long Colt won't get you hurt, but an overpressured round with a setback bullet sure might ruin your day.

Oh, and welcome to the board here Wreckage. :wink: I'm not picking on you, just stating my opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
SLCDave said:
Purists may not like the name "45 Long Colt", but you still know what someone is talking about when the name is said. The people that get their feathers ruffled over LC are the same ones that get all pissy when you call a magazine a clip. What is the BFD? You know what they are talking about, nobody is going to die over it, grow the hell up.

My worry is someone loading up a +P .40 S&W, which is already a high pressure round. Lets say the person is new to this caliber, chambers the round a couple times, and the bullet is set back in the case. Clip won't get you hurt, Long Colt won't get you hurt, but an overpressured round with a setback bullet sure might ruin your day.

Oh, and welcome to the board here Wreckage. :wink: I'm not picking on you, just stating my opinion.
Just the other day I was having a discussion in which someone reffered to the "rail" on top of AR-15's. They really meant the carry handle, I found out, not the flat-top with the rail.
Calling objects something theyre not is all to common and it is something I try to avoid and correct. It can just get confusing. I guess I am one of those guys who knows and care about the difference between a magazine and a clip. It is a big deal if you are dealing with asurplus Mosin-Nagant rifle which uses both clips and a magazine. :)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Using proper nomenclature is rather like NOT using all caps in an email message UNLESS YOU ARE SHOUTING! You get more respect when you do it right. In addition, your writings and speech will be more precise, more accurate and probably more easily understood. JMHO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts