Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into the XD, but I am torn between the .40 S&W and the .45GAP. Anyone have any input on the pros and cons of either?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Many people on here feel the GAP will not catch on, and therefore it will be hard to find ammo for it in the future.

40 S&W has been "proven" in the field, and probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It is also cheaper than .45 GAP.

The .45 makes bigger holes and has ballistics similar to .45 ACP. There was a post in the Ammo Can about how the differences between modern self defense loads are almost negligible in all the major calibers (9mm, .40, .357 SIG, and .45 ACP) as far as the proverbial "stopping power" and wound channel characteristics. Hollowpoint expansion is also quite similar.

That being said, I think you'd be more accurate with the .45. For me, .45 is just easier to shoot. Even though the GAP is a higher pressure round, the velocity is very similar to normal .45 ACP. 40 S&W is pretty snappy in comparison, and harder (for me) to make quick follow up shots. I, myself want a GAP, but for the sole reason of just having an XD in .45.

In all practicality, you might be wise to choose .40, just because I don't forsee that cartridge losing popularity, ammo is relatively cheap and easily available. Choose what you think you'll be able to get good with, because if it is one thing I've learned in the forum regarding self defense, shot placement is everything, more important than caliber. And hey, if you're not a good shot, you might like the higher mag capacity of the .40!

-stunks

R

·
0 Posts
i have xd 40 great gun i too had to choose from the gap and 40 im very happy with the 40 plus ammo is alot cheaper

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would really take a good look and read up on the .357 sig round.
You can buy a .40 drop in barrel for the range. If you plan
on carrying this gun you have the mighty .357 sig round.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The .40 has close ballistics (but not equal) numbers to the .45GAP, and the .45GAP has equal, if not better numbers than .45ACP. I generally qualify "expert" during my military range qualifications, although that is with a 9mm Beretta. That said, though, I believe I'm a pretty good pistol shot (highly capable at the very least), and I'm not sure I would need the extra rounds a .40 mag would allow if I can hit what I'm aiming at with 3 less rounds per magazine, and I would prefer more in stopping power.

Yes, .40 ammo is cheaper, and 9mm is no where near the same as the .45, but the military makes sure I get quality range time in on their nickel. No, the calibers and weapons aren't the same, but I get good practice with the basics (breathing, stance, trigger pull, reaction time, etc.). So, if I don't need to spend a lot of money on ammo, I would probably go with the .45GAP.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got both.

I shoot my .40 in USPSA matches regularly, and absolutely love the gun. I carry my .45 daily, and shoot it better than my .40. In regards to the gap cartridge not catching on, that's the exact same thing people said about the .40 10 or so years ago when it came about. People exclaimed that it was the answer to an unasked question, and there was no need for such a cartridge. Look at it now, used by many many LEOs out there. In my opinion, the .45gap cartridge has a better answer to a seldom asked question. It's a short .45ACP, which fits in a 9mm framed gun. I've got small hands and short fingers, and the average 1911, USP, etc are just too big for me to comfortably grip around. The XD's frame is much shorter (though wider, being double stacked), but it fits me very well. The same can be said for comparable Glocks. The G39 is the .45GAP equivalent to the G26/27 9mm/40 sub compacts. If you like the feel of the 26, why not get a 39? Slightly less capacity, but a bigger hole.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would buy a .40 over a .45Gap any day of the week. i am not sure the GAP will be around to long. If XD's were made in .45ACP i think that the GAP would really be hurting. Also a .40 is a great round. not as big as a .45 but faster. both will serve you well. I own .40 handguns and .45ACP handguns and i love them both. I would never choose a GAP over a .40

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, what difference does it make? In the one case(.45 gap) you have decreased mag capacity because you have gone to a single column. Also the .45 gap's performance is already loaded to it's upper limit, just to equal the .45 acp's ballistics. If you were to purchase a .45 acp, you could also load it with +p's which offers you quite an increase in performance. Now for the awesome .40 s&w, you get a few more rounds(in gun) than with the gap and again,this is another caliber that, for the most part is loaded to its potential, again due to limited case capacity like the GAP round. As for the 9mm, effective if you stick with the better +p's. All of these rounds are so close ballistically, flip a coin. I am again shocked that the 10mm wasn't even mentioned?? How can anyone who seems concerned about performance(and there isnt a lick of difference between the aforementioned calibers) forget to look at the 10mm? Go to www.double tap.com, if you are really performance minded. :wink:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I was in your shoes for about 3months trying to decide which one to go with. After posting about the same question here, with about the same responses I went with the 4'' 40 xd. Between the cost of ammo, the ability to still go with a conversion bbl. to a 9mm, to lessen that, the availabilty of gap, it kind of turned into a no-brainer from a hard decision, for me anyhow. Finally got the 40 last friday and I have no regrets, it's performed flawlessly. If you get a chance shoot them both, get a feel for what they can both do, then pull the trigger and get one.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Aside from terminal ballistics, I have heard that the GAP is "more pleasant to shoot" when compared to the 40. The 40 is a high pressure round...has more muzzle flip or snap. The 45GAP is a relatively low pressure round (compared to the 40) thus exibits less snap, but more push because of the heavier bullet. Never shot a GAP...just relaying what I heard.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would go .40, simply because the ammo is cheaper and easier to find. Cheaper ammo = more range trips. More range trips = more effective shooter.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Why have you ruled out the 9mm?
1 High cap mags
2 good stopping power in +p+
3 low recoil
4 cheap to shoot, which would make you a better shot

I own the 45 GAP, love it. My son has a 9mm loves it.

What ever you choose, it should feel right in your hand and shoot it often. If you choose a round you can't afford to shot, then you will never get good at it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have heard of the 10mm. I just dont want one. I have a .44mag and i dont shoot it often. when i do shoot it i shoot light loads. when i get ready to hunt with it i crank it back up. Its not fun if you want to shoot 100 rounds for fun wiht full power loads. The 10mm is a very powerfull round. to much for MANY shooters. Like a 300 Weatherby Mag, its a very powerfull round just too much gun for most people.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
backstay said:
Why have you ruled out the 9mm?
1 High cap mags
2 good stopping power in +p+
3 low recoil
4 cheap to shoot, which would make you a better shot.
I carry a 9mm on duty. I carried one in Iraq. I am a certified "expert" shot with one. I tell ya...I'm not really impressed with the 9x19. I want something a little beefier. I want something that begins with a "4". I understand that there are many calibers out there, and that they all have their pluses and minuses, but instead of confusing the issue, I have narrowed it down to one of those calibers. Hey, they say XD's multiply, so maybe I'd get the other one later, but in case I don't get it I'd rather be sure I get the right one first.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
orc4hire said:
Hey, masterofg3,

Image Clipped
At first I was going to ask WTF but after re-reading the thread I have to agree with orc4hire sentiment even if he probably could have expressed it a bit more tactfully None the less the original poster was looking to decide between the 40S&W and the 45 GAP in an XD. Since the XD-10 does not exist yet is really should not have enter into the discussion.

IMHO I would go with the XD-40. I my case I thought the 40 was a good compromise on a number of issue. First the 40 is a good CCW caliber, it’s probably not the best but it certainly is acceptable. Second the 40 is affordable to shoot, again not the most affordable that would probably go to the 9mm but if you shop around you can certainly get 40S&W under $9 and even under $8 for 50 rounds. I was shooting remanufactured ammo as cheap a $6.14 a box. For USPSA competition the XD best fits in the Production or Limited-10 division. In both of these divisions you’re limited to 10 rounds per magazine so the extra capacity of the 9mm did not gain me anything and shooting 40 in Limited-10 allow me to shoot major instead of minor and that does make a noticeable difference.

If I was buying an XD only for CCW then I might be seriously tempted to get the 45 GAP, but I wanted to use my XD for a lot more than just a CCW so I went with the compromise caliber and have been so happy I bough a XD-40 Tactical to go with my original XD-40 Service.

JMTC
mcb

1 - 20 of 49 Posts