Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide between the .40 and the .357. Does the .357 sig really have setback problems worse than the .40? How about recoil and stopping power? This would be a defense gun, but not for carry. Is reliability going to be different? How about muzzle blast? Thanks for the help! :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yesterday while at the range the guy next to me notice I had an XD and offered to let me shoot his 357 Sig XD service in exchange to shoot mine. Wow, I was shocked! It shot very similar to my 9mm. I've shot a .40 in the past and found recoil and muzzle fip to be a bit much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have never shot a 357 sig but I would think that with the exception of more muzzle flash it should shoot similar to a 9mm since it's bullet mass is closer to a 9 than a .40.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Assuming an un-obstructed target it's basically a tie. However, if you foresee having to penetrate windshields, barriers,etc., to reach your target the Sig round is better suited. The 10mm beats them both quite easily.......want proof? www.doubletapammo.com :wink:

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
masterofg3 said:
Assuming an un-obstructed target it's basically a tie. However, if you foresee having to penetrate windshields, barriers,etc., to reach your target the Sig round is better suited. The 10mm beats them both quite easily.......want proof? www.doubletapammo.com :wink:
OMG why is every post about the 10mm?

NO ONE CARES!

Buy the .40 and get the conversion barrel for .357sig.

·
Registered
27 Posts

NO ONE CARES!
there's a nonsequitur...

anyway. i'd get the xd9, or the xd40 and a 9mm barrel. can't say i see much use for 357sig - it doesn't do anything that 9mm +p doesn't, except take up more space in mags and more money out of your wallet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
F_ _ _ the 10mm, I get tired of hearing about it. If it is such a great round why doesn't the majority of LE carry it? I will guarantee you I can put more rounds on target and quicker with my 9mm than you can with your 10mm. You treat everyone that shoots anything other than a 10mm like **** and belittle their caliber choice. Have the 10mm "Boys" kicked you out of their club and thats why you troll over here?

·
Registered
338 Posts
masterofg3 said:
masterofg3, it seems that most of your posts involve your pushing 10mm ammo, and how much better it is than anything else. Although, I chuckled when I saw this chart in another thread:

:)

I also beginning to feel you must be involved with doubletapammo.com and that is why you are plugging them so much.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN said:
<big snip>

Ditto, the .40 ammo is definately easier to find and cheaper to practice with and if you really want to shoot .357 sig you'll have a match grade barrel to shoot it out of.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I like the .357 for carry but it is definately a bit more pricey. I didnt use to be much of a .40 fan but ive come to appreciate it since I started shooting it alot more. I would say that the guy you use either one on would not be able to tell you which was which.

As far as the 10mm....This is an XD forum,the guy asks questions about which XD to get and you throw up a 10mm. Why do you even hang here? Do you own and XD??? If the 10mm is it or nothing, why do you own and XD if you do in fact own one? Looks like the .45 kicks the 10mm's ass in that chart, glad i carry one alot of the time.

My .45 kicked your 10mm's ass.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Krackels said:
XD BACKUP GUN said:
<big snip>

Ditto, the .40 ammo is definately easier to find and cheaper to practice with and if you really want to shoot .357 sig you'll have a match grade barrel to shoot it out of.
Oops!!!
I did it backwards. :lol:

·
Registered
275 Posts
pauli said:

NO ONE CARES!
there's a nonsequitur...
Nice catch.

While looking for the purchase that turned into my XD-40 aquisition, a 10 was REALLY what I wanted.

Sadly, the round is all but orphaned, and most factory loads are way under what 10 is capable of.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
ichy_trigger said:
As far as the 10mm....This is an XD forum,the guy asks questions about which XD to get and you throw up a 10mm. Why do you even hang here?

Looks like the .45 kicks the 10mm's ass in that chart, glad i carry one alot of the time.

My .45 kicked your 10mm's ass.
I was pretty surprised by the results posted on the chart. I'd like to thank Gadget for posting it. Very interesting.

And maybe it will get "masterofg3" to stop interjecting his 10mm obsession into so many threads here. It really is irrelevant to the XD threads in which he keeps touting the 10mm round.

I found it very informative and somewhat surprising to see that, according to this chart, the standard 230 grain .45 has virtually identical stopping power to the .357 magnum. Then the .40S&W and the .45 +P are very close....a statistically insignificant difference. The .357 SIG is right there, and then the "mighty 10mm" narrowly is ahead (a statistical tie really) of the 9mm +P to bring up the rear. LOL (The 9mm +P+ is also apparently a more effective round than the 10mm). The standard 9mm had an 83% one shot stop compared to the "invincible" 10mm but I'd bet I could place 3 or 4 nine mm slugs into a small target before a 10mm shooter could get an effective second shot off.

I will say the 10mm appears to be a good deal more effective than a .22LR or .25 ACP, so that's nice for "masterofg3". I bet it makes him feel good. I wonder if he'll be headed right over to <rimfire.com> to strut his 10mm stuff. LOL..

In truth, I guess there is an insufficient number of cases of actual shootings to really make a fair judgment using the chart. The .45ACP had a higher "one shot stop" percentage than the .45ACP +P.

Also, in fairness to the 10mm, it only had 18 stops, not enough of a sampling to be truly representative. But compared to the 615 stops with a .357 Mag, and 349 with the standard 9mm, it is clear that the 10mm is not a very popular round in the LE community. Of course the 10mm has not been around as long, but that does not explain how the even newer .357SIG and the .40S&W both had more stops than the 10mm.

Boy, lot of people were shot with the .22 LR Stinger!! More even than with the 9mm!!! THAT surprises me!

I am also surprised that anyone was shot with the .25ACP. Quite a few really. I always thought it was a very rarely used caliber. Small and ineffective, and it seems many, if not most guns chambered for that round are also available in the .22LR Maybe the ACP feeds better.....However.James Bond used a .25 Beretta and his gun jammed which was the reason he was issued the PPK instead. Maybe he'd have been better off with the .22LR Beretta. :lol:

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
The one thing the .25 has over the .22 is the .25 is a ceterfire which offers more reliable ignition. I remember reading somewhere though that more people have been killed with .22's than any other caliber.

·
Registered
26 Posts
what is the best 357 conversion barrel for my XD40?

XD40
Glock 22 40
Dan Wesson 8" 357
Ruger P90
Ruger P95
Ruger P345
Thompson Encore 460 S&W :roll:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=0

Thats the site where I got that chart from. I posted that chart over there on THR, i know its the same one cuz of the round thats highlighted :)
If that chart holds true, I guess big and slow is better than fast and light. The heavy 230gr. ACP round outperforms the lighter but faster 185gr ACP+P.
This chart was a big reason why I chose the 40SW round. However, I'm kinda wishing I had bought 9mm instead, less recoil and more enjoyable to shoot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For me the 357 Sig seems much more accurate than the 40. More than likely the reason is it's bottleneck design, thus promoting even powder burn, as both the 40 and 357 headspace on the case mouth.

A plus is that it shoots to the point of aim in most fixed sighted guns. In Glocks there is another reason to go to them, SUPPORT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was pretty surprised by the results posted on the chart. I'd like to thank Gadget for posting it. Very interesting.
I am very skeptical of what is represented on this chart. You give me access to a lot of data and I can probably make a query that will show statistics that support whatever position you want to prove. Reaching any type of conclusion based on what you see on that chart would probably be wrong. That's assuming that what little data is shown is actually true in the first place. The chart doesn't show some of the most important factors that need to be known. I find it very hard to believe these very high percentages of "one shot stops" based on the 1st hand experiences of police and EMT personnel involved with shootings where there is seldom only one gun shot in a victim/assailant.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts