Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between a XD40 sub-comapact and a Glock27 .40 sub-compact. After some research on the Glock I ran across alot of information about its unsupported chamber that is causing kabooms with some reloads.

Does the XD40 have an unsupported chamber as well? Has there been any problems using reloads in the XD40

·
Registered
119 Posts
The XD chamber is fully supported. That being said, reloading for .40 can be a tricky affair. Be darn sure of your OAL, or pressures can rise quickly and could cause a KB in any gun. I use a 180grn FMJ over 6grns of Unique with a OAL of 1.14ish (if I recall correctly). Also, applying the correct crimp is a total PITA at first, but once you get it, things work great. Do your homework, have fun. 8)

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you intend to reload, definitely go with the XD. I believe that shooting reloads in a Glock completely voids the warranty, and you probably won't be able to re-use the brass any way.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
stealthsniper said:
If you intend to reload, definitely go with the XD. I believe that shooting reloads in a Glock completely voids the warranty, and you probably won't be able to re-use the brass any way.
I use brass fired in Glocks for reloads all the time, where did you hear that? As well as 9mm brass and .45ACP.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Snake-eater 1 said:
I use brass fired in Glocks for reloads all the time, where did you hear that? As well as 9mm brass and .45ACP.
Unless I'm mis-reading your post, you may want to re-read mine. According to Jeff Maass, "Shooting reloaded ammunition in your Glock handgun will void the warranty."* I said nothing of firing from an XD brass that was previously used in a Glock.

*Glock does not offer warranty information on their site, so I cannot confirm this, but Jeff is widely considered to be a reliable source.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't know if current production or all Glock 40 cal pistols have the unsupported chamber. Certainly some/many/all did in the past. Without knowing the true facts I would not own or shoot a 40 cal Glock myself. I would not fire a gun with an unsupported chamber whether or not I was shooting hot ammo.

I reload 40 for my XD with no problems whatsoever. I build fairly mild stuff and not overpressure hot ammo so I am not worried at all. My stuff is no hotter than Win white box from WalMart. The brass I pick up is carefully inspected for any bulges and every once in a while I do find some that has unusual bulges that presumably came out of a Glock.

The XD has a fully supported chamber and should handle any ammo within SAAMI spec. As long as you stay within the published recipe when you reload then you should have no issues with your XD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts