Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, First off my name is Robert. I've been looking around on this forum and have fell in love with the new XD-M's. I am wondering what the pro's and con's are between the .40 and the 9mm xd-m's are and what you all would prefer. I plan to use this gun as my concealed and for shooting at the range. Please share your input, I greatly apreciate it.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

- Robert

·
Registered
366 Posts
How much can you afford to spend on ammo? 9mm is considerally cheaper to shoot. It is 30% to 40% cheaper than .40 cal. You can shoot for less money or shyoot more for the same cost. 9mm has less recoil, but you should shoot both to see if it makes enough difference to you.

Search some of the threads about 9mm vs .40 cal for other opinions on this subject.

Welcome to the forum from the Great State of Texas!

·
Registered
341 Posts
For making that decision I would rent each a make the decision based on what you feel that you can be most accurate with.

The 9mm holds more rounds then the 40 S&W, this doesn't make or brake it for me. Weight and the ability to conceal normally are how I make a decision on what to carry any given day. I would prefer to carry a 45 everyday, but how I have to dress in my daily business usually dictates what I carry.

·
Registered
160 Posts
ammo for the 9mm is considerably cheaper, however i would say the main question is what is your primary use for the gun? if u just want something to shoot at a range then i would go w/ a 9mm however if ur looking for something for home defense i would go with a .40

·
Registered
160 Posts
lol oh so true....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses, for my first gun I am really just looking for a range shooter and a casual carrier. I have been leaning more towards the 9mm and was wondering if there was any decisional making reason to get the .40 over it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Maverick87,
Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas! I have both the 9mm & the.40 caliber. The .40 caliber has more knockdown power. The ammo prices aren't that much more. Example: Wal-Mart has Blazer Brass Target ammo, 50 rnd box of 9 mm =$8.97. Same size box of same brand in .40 = $12.47.
Since it's your 1st gun. 9mm would be a good choice. Whichever you buy, don't forget the Springfield Armory "Gear-Up Promo". If you buy your gun BEFORE January 15th. You can get 2 FREE magazines & a Mag pouch from Springfield. Click this link & download the form & follow the instructions.
Springfield Armory Gear Up Promo Site

Like others have said, you'll probably end up with BOTH soon.:D And more. Bottom line: The 9mm will be easier for a Beginner to shoot, and less expensive to take to the range. As far as Defensive ammo goes, the 2 calibers are virtually the same price. The 9mm will have Plenty of knockdown power if you need that. Hope you never do! Shot Placement is key on any Firearm. Happy Shopping & be safe shooting!
Merry Christmas!

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I prefer the .40 ...ammo price isn't to big of an issue to me. But i would say check if a local range has both models for you to try.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I bought the 9mm for the same reasons you are looking at it for. Its great at the range and big enough to defend the home while small enough the wife can shoot it.
I keep mine in a GunVault by the bed but given enough time I goin for the 12 loaded with #4 buckshot in a 3in Mag.

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
Maverick87,
Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas! I have both the 9mm & the.40 caliber. The .40 caliber has more knockdown power. The ammo prices aren't that much more. Example: Wal-Mart has Blazer Brass Target ammo, 50 rnd box of 9 mm =$8.97. Same size box of same brand in .40 = $12.47.
Since it's your 1st gun. 9mm would be a good choice. Whichever you buy, don't forget the Springfield Armory "Gear-Up Promo". If you buy your gun BEFORE January 15th. You can get 2 FREE magazines & a Mag pouch from Springfield. Click this link & download the form & follow the instructions.

Like others have said, you'll probably end up with BOTH soon.:D And more. Bottom line: The 9mm will be easier for a Beginner to shoot, and less expensive to take to the range. As far as Defensive ammo goes, the 2 calibers are virtually the same price. The 9mm will have Plenty of knockdown power if you need that. Hope you never do! Shot Placement is key on any Firearm. Happy Shopping & be safe shooting!
Merry Christmas!
Agreed! I actually have both in tactical... :) :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think Colonel Jeff Cooper once said if he couldn't have a .45....he'd prefer a axe over a 9mm at close range.:wink:

Sometimes the bad guys need a CNS shot before they go down with 9mm.

Personally, I prefer .40 but own both. Caliber diversity is a good thing!

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Maverick87,

Merry Christmas!
XDfan4ever is on the money. I chose the XD(M) 9 for my first handgun. I heard the lines about knockdown power, and I was told how disappointed I would be. In the end, I'm completely happy with my purchase. I shot .40 & .45. Given the same choice today, I'd choose the 9mm all over again. Not saying that I wouldn't want to own one of the others some day, but I'm loving what I've got!

When I load for defense, I chose a good +P ammo and I'm confident that I can have the shot placement to protect myself should the need arise.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I went with the 9mm.

The ammo price makes a considerable difference if you plan to shoot often... I go to the range 1-2 times per week, so saving ~$10 per 100 makes a difference when I usually go through at least 200 each trip...

It's all about shot placement. A 9mm will do the job just as well as a 40 cal.

Practice shooting as that is key with any gun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought my Trophy Wife an XDM 40. She didn't like the report or the snappy recoil. I got her an XDM 9 and she loves it. She shot 150 rounds out of the box on Christmas Eve. I am a 1911 reprobate, but I found the 9 to be a pleasure to shoot. I say get them both, but start with the 9.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought a 9mm for my first gun (xd9 sub-compact) about a month ago. My reason? Being new to gun owning/shooting, I knew that it would take lots of practice to increase my skills. Therefore, financially it would be easier for me to go with the cheaper caliber. Cheaper rounds = more practice = increased skill. Eventually, I would like to step up to .45.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well you all have been very helpful. I've decided to go with the 9mm since I am new with handguns and the price on the ammo (college student). This gun will be the start of my gun collection and I am confident that I will own a XD-M .40 as well. :mrgreen:

Thanks again,

Robert

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello, First off my name is Robert. I've been looking around on this forum and have fell in love with the new XD-M's. I am wondering what the pro's and con's are between the .40 and the 9mm xd-m's are and what you all would prefer. I plan to use this gun as my concealed and for shooting at the range. Please share your input, I greatly apreciate it.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

- Robert
I had the same questions, so I bought both :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts