Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always had rifles and shotguns until recently. Don't have a whole lot of experience with pistols. I have a ruger lcp for cc. Now I'm wanting either a 40 or 45 for Target shooting a little bit, and for home. May carry some in winter. I would think the 45 would have more punch but a 40 shoot more accurately. Stumbled on this site and thought I get some answers. Ammo is a lil more obviously also for the 45. Recoil is not an issue. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Well, why do you think the 40 is more accurate? 40 and 45 is such a preference thing. Some say the 40 has a snappy recoil and others say the 45 jumps hard. But for me, neither are as bad as some make it out to be. I suggest renting guns in each cal and see which one you like more. 40 is cheaper than 45. There are plenty of high performance rounds for both cals. Its likely you will have more rounds in the gun with a 40. 45 has been a proven round for many more years. I have both and love both. I guess the best thing to do is, find out with one you shoot better, which one you can afford to shoot more often.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I would think the 45 would have more punch Thoughts?
Welcome to the forum from Texas! Go check out some ballistic charts for a more educated conculsion on this.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The search feature works really well and you will find a lot of threads on this topic. It definitely comes down to personal preference. I own both but shoot .45 simply because I love the 1911 platform.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
45 is bit more expensive to shoot. Terminal ballistics wise (punch no such thing) between the .40 and .45, not much difference. Pick the one you can afford to shoot enough to get good at it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Between the .40 and .45 . . . I'd get the .45. Now if the 9mm was factored in, especially for range/targe shooting, the 9mm is alot more affordable to shoot. But then again, like alot of us . . . get all of um. And as it turns out, I now have (2) 1911 .45's, (1) XDm .45, (1) XDm .40, (2) 9mm's, and a 9mm drop-in conversion barrel for the .40. Can't have too many.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Between the .40 and .45 . . . I'd get the .45. Now if the 9mm was factored in, especially for range/targe shooting, the 9mm is alot more affordable to shoot. But then again, like alot of us . . . get all of um. And as it turns out, I now have (2) 1911 .45's, (1) XDm .45, (1) XDm .40, (2) 9mm's, and a 9mm drop-in conversion barrel for the .40. Can't have too many.
Good post !!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would say the .45, because I prefer the round over the .40. Also, with the .45 you can shoot .45 super with a quick guiderod and spring swap! The 45 is expensive, but I would rather have a 45 and a 9mm than a .40 and one of the others.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Less than a 4" barrel - .40 S&W

4.25" & greater - .45 ACP

It depends on what you're going to buy. I don't recommend the micro compact 1911s in .45 because of the ballistics of the .45 from a short barrel.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
seriously after seeing the gentleman defend himself at the gas pump and the other gentleman defend his neighbor, both with .45 ACP...

I don't know that its that much more superior than a .40. neither guy was DRT after being shot in the face and shot twice in the gut.

I think both bad guys would have had an equally bad day if it would have been a 9mm or a .40. hell even a .22 really.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The 45acp has been around for 100 years for as really good reason. They are accurate, I have a xd45 and it's better than my xd357.
You should very much consider trying both to see which you prefer because the frames are totally different, along with recoil.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts