Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new xd .40 on hold, it will be the first pistol I have owned. Am I dumb for picking the .40 or should I wait a couple of weeks and spend the extra on the .45? I have large hands and the extra size and recoil wont be an issue. I'm just not sure?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
skidooman93 said:
I just put a new xd .40 on hold, it will be the first pistol I have owned. Am I dumb for picking the .40 or should I wait a couple of weeks and spend the extra on the .45? I have large hands and the extra size and recoil wont be an issue. I'm just not sure?
You also have to factor in the cost of the ammo. How much will you be shooting the gun? Defensively both rounds are great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a big price difference between 40 and 45. Through cabelas it was only about .01 per round. I plan on shooting quite a bit. Practice and for fun. I shoot a lot in general with my rifles and shotguns.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
skidooman93 said:
Is there a big price difference between 40 and 45. Through cabelas it was only about .01 per round. I plan on shooting quite a bit. Practice and for fun. I shoot a lot in general with my rifles and shotguns.
I did a quick search on Natchez and the difference was only about 50 cents between .40 and .45 on the Blazer Brass. Not sure on the other brands. To me that's not significant enough. I'd personally go with the XD-45. 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you ever reload? I reload rifle rounds .223 and .308. I was looking through my mauals and next to all of the .40 tables there was a warning. Something about how the round supported by the barrel.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
skidooman93 said:
Do you ever reload? I reload rifle rounds .223 and .308. I was looking through my mauals and next to all of the .40 tables there was a warning. Something about how the round supported by the barrel.
I don't reload. No time on my part. IIRC the 40 caliber XD barrels are fully supported unlike Glocks. Glocks sometimes like to go Kaboom on reloads.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
If I didnt have an XD already I would wait for a 45 acp and get a 9mm or a .40 conversion barrel

in a service model

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
.40-.45 said:
If I didnt have an XD already I would wait for a 45 acp and get a 9mm or a .40 conversion barrel

in a service model
You would need more than the barrel for that conversion.

·
Registered
409 Posts
don't think you can do the 9mm 40 conversion on the 45 acp for the same reason the GAP, the case head is to big, and the extractor woln't catch the rim of the case.

frenchy and I are on the same wavelength

·
Registered
48 Posts
ive shot both the 40 tactical and my 45 service and honestly, in my own not so experienced experience, the 45 shoots better. its a much easier gun for me to be accurate with.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
WARHEAD'Z said:
.45 ACP is the BEST choice for the XD. It is a proven military issued round.
As is the 9mm.
The HS/XD platform was designed for the 9X19 from the get-go, and every other cartridge was adapted for it. The same can be said for SIG, HK, Beretta, Hi-Power, Glock etc. Except for the the Colt Model of 1911, the 9mm. is the father of the modern semi-automatic pistol.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
WARHEAD'Z said:
.45 ACP is the BEST choice for the XD. It is a proven military issued round.
So, what you're really saying is, if you're fighting World War 3, openly carrying, and have no need to conceal, the .45 ACP is the best choice?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
If I could do it all over, I'd go .45acp.
The 45 has a 'blunter' and more mellow kick, although I haven't had the opportunity to do a side-by-side on XD's.
And always, under any circumstances, 45acp will be available (like 308 and 223).
Again, seeya 45gap.

·
Registered
62 Posts
plinkomatic,
thanks for that description of the .45 acp recoil ("blunter and more mellow"). that's a great way to describe it. i've never understood those who say the .45 acp has serious kick, or those who won't even pick one up because they're recoil-shy. it certainly does have some "kick," but it's "smooth" (to add to your description), and out of my 1911, glock 17, xd-40, and BHP, i shoot the best with the 1911.
just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually, the 40 is a proven police round and a pretty good stopper in the street. However, in terms of recoil, I think the 40 (a higher pressure round) may have more felt recoil, actually (sharper anyway).

In terms of price, 40 is a bit less expensive at Wally World (couple dollars cheaper for value packs as well as 50 round boxes).

Both are good rounds although you can't deny that the 45 makes a bigger hole. To me the final qyuestion becomes how much perceptively bigger is the 45 over the 40/9mm platform. Is concealability important to you?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts