Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i'm upgrading from a 9mm to a .40 cal. I've always had 147g HST's loaded in my 9, and i've heard that the .45 HST's are awesome also but i've never heard anything about the .40's...

Anybody have the scoop?

Also, while your here.. what ammo do you guys shoot through your .40 at the range? The .40 is totally new to me.

Thanks!

PS, i'll be getting the XDM .40 Compact.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
HST is a very good round. I like the 180gr. Range ammo, I shoot reloads with 180gr LSWC.

·
Registered
19,743 Posts
I've heard the 40 works best with lighter bullets as far as "stopping power"

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I've heard the 40 works best with lighter bullets as far as "stopping power"
Incorrect.

165gr would the the lightest recommended, and 180 the best performer.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use 180gr Federal HST's for SD. On the range I use 180gr Remington from Walmart. That's usually out of stock so I go to Winchester 180's or Federal 180's.

Test results for the 180gr HST's are excellent. Good luck finding them right now though. Seems like we're going through an ammo shortage again. Anyone else experiencing difficulty getting HST's?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I use the .40 HST / Speer Gold Dot as my two primary self defense rounds. (XDM / Glock 23 and Kahr CW40).

For range ammo, all three will fire anything put through them EXCEPT for the Tula ammo I'd gotten at Walmart.... the Glock didn't like that stuff for some reason. I'm finding that the XDM and the Kahr will eat EVERYTHING.

Of course, I'd gotten a bad batch of cheap ammo last time out, and my range accuracy suffered a lot because of it. :p hehehehehehe.... it COULDN'T have been anything I did, right? :-D

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I saw some 40S&W HSTs today at Gander Mountain. 50 round boxes of 180 HST for $24.99. I would have gotten a few if I were inclined to own that caliber.............

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Incorrect.

165gr would the the lightest recommended, and 180 the best performer.

I'm looking at specs right now for Hornady Ammunition, and they have these stats in the sale catalog:

155 gr. JHP - Velocity = 1150 fps, Energy = 455 ft/lbs

180 gr. JHP - Velocity = 1000 fps, Energy = 400 ft/lbs

Those number are consistant from the stuff i've seen in other places as well. It's not much, but it seems to me that the lighter grain bullets have a higher muzzle velocity and downrange energy which gives them better "stopping power". Quotation Quotation...lol

If I'm missing something and I'm way off base tell me. I can be a bit bullheaded sometime, but I wont take offense. ;)

EDIT: Forgot to address the original post. I usually shoot Remington UMC 180 gr. JHP's or Federal White Box 180 gr. JHP's.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I'm looking at specs right now for Hornady Ammunition, and they have these stats in the sale catalog:

155 gr. JHP - Velocity = 1150 fps, Energy = 455 ft/lbs

180 gr. JHP - Velocity = 1000 fps, Energy = 400 ft/lbs

Those number are consistant from the stuff i've seen in other places as well. It's not much, but it seems to me that the lighter grain bullets have a higher muzzle velocity and downrange energy which gives them better "stopping power". Quotation Quotation...lol

If I'm missing something and I'm way off base tell me. I can be a bit bullheaded sometime, but I wont take offense. ;)

EDIT: Forgot to address the original post. I usually shoot Remington UMC 180 gr. JHP's or Federal White Box 180 gr. JHP's.

When it comes to pistol bullets its all about Sectional Density. The only way you get better SD is to make the projectile longer, that means it will be heavier. Penetration not "power" is what kills when you consider pistol projectiles.

A 155 XTP is not all that bad of a choice though. the XTP expands a little and penetrates alot. Even a 115 9mm XTP will get upto 15" of penetration in critters I have shot, so alot also depends on the projectile design.

This is where agalindo comes into play. 99.9% of the time he will steer you in the right direction and he always has the proof that makes his puddin' the best around. You can learn alot by just listening to him. I know I do and I have been doing my backwoods 'testing' on critters for more than 20 years with 9mm-45 service pistols and carry type ammo......

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I use winchester white box and remington. 165 & 180. I grabbed a box of federal 135jhp for $14/50 at walmart awhile back.

For carry I use winchester pdx1 180/165gr.

And agalindo knows the goods.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, this thread slipped away form me. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Federal HST-JHP 180gr!!! Thats my carry round.

At the range its cheap federal or winchester white box

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Federal HST's are a very good round. But in my situation, I have to consider purchase of the best that I can easily put my hands on, and on a frequent basis.
The HST's in my neck of the woods are next to impossible to find unless you go WAY otta your way to get them. Then they are very expensive.

Right now am stoked with 3 different loads. Remington Golden Sabers 185 bonded, and the Winchester RangerT, which I can purchase at my local Cheaper than Dirt just down the road. Walmart carries the Winchester PDX1 Supreme Elite's and in +P for your 9 mike mike's. Good enough for the FBI, is good enough for me.

For the range, it is Wincheter White box or TulAmmo.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Seems to me that years back we had a forum member screw up and discharge an HST .40 into the palm of his hand. Nasty wound as I remember it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I agree on the 180gr comment (unless you're using corbon dpx solid copper hollow point which is a different point).

The argument is always lighter faster moving loads (those who believe in hydrostatic shock) vs heavier slower loads.

Its all Newtonian physics. The initial impact of those fast moving loads will be greater than the heavier loads (hydrostatic shock argument), however heavier loads have more momentum and don't dump most of their energy on impact, thus penetrating better.

Its like a punch vs a shove.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I agree on the 180gr comment (unless you're using corbon dpx solid copper hollow point which is a different point).

The argument is always lighter faster moving loads (those who believe in hydrostatic shock) vs heavier slower loads.

Its all Newtonian physics. The initial impact of those fast moving loads will be greater than the heavier loads (hydrostatic shock argument), however heavier loads have more momentum and don't dump most of their energy on impact, thus penetrating better.

I'll take bone smashing heavy weights that still expand and reach their distance.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

In service pistol terminal ballistics all the above is moot.

1. No such thing as hydrostatic shock. Even in rifle calibers.
2. The wounding done by service pistol bullets is not caused by the bullet "dumping it's energy" into the target.
3. The old theory of "shock" effect was that light and fast would "shock" a bad guy and cause him to go down. Miami shoot out was the shock that brought those believers into reality.

All service pistol calibers have only one reliable wounding mechanism. That mechanism is the bullet physically crushing and cutting into tissue that it comes into contact with. No energy dump, no mythical hydrostatic shock. The deeper it goes and the bigger it expands the more damage it does. The edge always goes to the bigger bullet with the heaver weight.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
my carry round of choice, winchester ranger t is great too. my two fortys don't seem to fond of it though :(

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
In service pistol terminal ballistics all the above is moot.

1. No such thing as hydrostatic shock. Even in rifle calibers.
2. The wounding done by service pistol bullets is not caused by the bullet "dumping it's energy" into the target.
3. The old theory of "shock" effect was that light and fast would "shock" a bad guy and cause him to go down. Miami shoot out was the shock that brought those believers into reality.

All service pistol calibers have only one reliable wounding mechanism. That mechanism is the bullet physically crushing and cutting into tissue that it comes into contact with. No energy dump, no mythical hydrostatic shock. The deeper it goes and the bigger it expands the more damage it does. The edge always goes to the bigger bullet with the heaver weight.
Exactly my point. I'll take an offensive lineman over a track star. I agree-HS is bullshit.

I use Corbon DPX personally. It may be expensive, but its proven to expand and penetrate deeply, go through glass, car doors, and other hard barriers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts