Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how effective .40 cal shotshells were against critters up to raccoon size at close range. We have ***** coming on our concrete porch with a neighbors house less than 50 ft. away so I don't want to risk a ricochet with a .22. Any suggestions? Traps haven't worked and pellet rifles take too long to prepare.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
.223 is your best bet. they travel fast enough to fragment upon entry at close range.

Obey your local and state laws regarding discharge of firearms near domiciles. many township ordinances require a >200 ft. minimum distance. If in town, call your city ordinance control or police station (non-911 line).

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
It's rat shot, not raccoon shot.

A .22lr will dispatch a raccoon and most any smaller game in 50 feet.

A spring piston pellet rifle would be a decent option. Are you looking to kill or dissuade them?

Pistol shotshells just won't produce the penetration for anything more that most likely maiming a raccoon.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Use the trap......then shoot them in the head while still in the trap with a pellet gun....It;s quite and quick. I can give you pointers on how to bait the trap if you need it. They usually get into the trap between 10 PM and 12 PM. Go out and dispatch them at midnight. Take a flashlight to see and shoot straight down between the ears. No neighbor will not hear a pellot gun and it's safe for you. Dispose of the next AM

Use a live trap and put a disposable dish full of sunflower seeds at the back end of the trap, behind the trip lever. They have to enter and go to the back to get the seeds and they will trip the door every time. Shot shells don't work and they are way too loud as well. Neighbors will call the police. But they won't hear the pellet gun when shot straight down at close range. Put the barrel through the wire cage to about 3 or 4 inches.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I'm not sure the ratshot will penetrate enough for a raccoon.
I wouldn't advise using a .223 either. Way too much power with neighbors so close. Perhaps you can pop them with the .22 from higher ground, with some dirt as a backstop.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Use the trap......then shoot them in the head while still in the trap with a pellet gun....It;s quite and quick. I can give you pointers on how to bait the trap if you need it. They usually get into the trap between 10 PM and 12 PM. Go out and dispatch them at midnight. Take a flashlight to see and shoot straight down between the ears. No neighbor will be the wiser. Dispose of the next AM
This is how I get rid of the racoons in my parents' barn (except I carry them outside and use the .22. They go up there and eat all the barn cats' food. Live trap baited with marshmallows works best because cats won't go for the 'mallows. ;)

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
tell us why.
What do you mean why? The .223 is about 6 times more powerful than a .22 lr. It's not needed to kill a raccoon.

I guess I'm just crazy like that. I wouldn't use a .223 in this situation

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
This is how I get rid of the racoons in my parents' barn (except I carry them outside and use the .22. They go up there and eat all the barn cats' food. Live trap baited with marshmallows works best because cats won't go for the 'mallows. ;)

My cats love marshmallows.

But yes, raccoons do as well.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
My cats love marshmallows.

But yes, raccoons do as well.
That's funny. I've never had a cat go in the trap after a marshmallow. I did figure out real quick you can't use peanut butter if you want to catch anything but cats. Lol

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Shotshells SUCK on anything other than....bugs...and small snakes.

Or a coke can but don't expect anything cool to happen.

I would opt for a really good pellet gun/air rifle.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it seems my best solution was my .22 cal. Beeman 830fps break barrel and TrueGlo red dot.. Easily dispatched a medium one at 12 feet with a headshot although I used a follow up to put paid to it and stop the thrashing (made the mistake of using hollow point. From now on the RWS Superdome for a tough skull).

Interestingly, the next day in the early morning, an even bigger one came around that wouldn't be scared off so my wife called the cops. The guy arrived and said he couldn't use his pistol because of the neighbors so my wife loaned him my Beeman (which he loved and said he would be getting something similar for just these occasions). Another raccoon dispatched. The game warden wanted the corpse to examine and see if rabies or some other disease was causing these ***** to loose their fear of humans.

Thanks for the all the advice.

Just as an aside: The wife explained about the previous mornings culling and said I had already
disposed of the corpse. The cop, of course, asked how I disposed if it. Her reply: I don't know. I didn't ask, and I don't intend to. The cop said he was fine with that. Way to go girl!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
leave the damn raccoon alone
I will, as soon as they leave my wife alone. These were obviously sick animals and our vet said to put them down. They are on my property causing damage and alarming my family. I will do what is necessary.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Trashing and death throws will happen with anything but a stem or spine shot.

It's the unnerving part of killing the movies don't show you.

Kinda like the snore when someone gets knocked out and land on anywhere but on their side (even then it still happens some)

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Trashing and death throws will happen with anything but a stem or spine shot.

It's the unnerving part of killing the movies don't show you.

Kinda like the snore when someone gets knocked out and land on anywhere but on their side (even then it still happens some)
Thrashing and death throes?

(using a laptop to type)

;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts