Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I was wondering if any one may have a good Win231 load for 40 cal 180gr plated bullet. I am shooting them from a Compact 3.8. I am currently using 4.4gr of W231. I have worked the loads from 4.4 to 5.0. Seems to shoot a lot lower then the 165's. I would like to stay with 231 since I use it for 9mm and my 45's. ( Simplicity staying with one powder ) I would like to stay with the heavier bullets if possible. However, the low shots have to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have also tested with snap caps to ensure the lowness was not a flinch and I have also had others try which also showed low hits.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Hmm shouldn't shoot lower than 165gr but anything is possible. I top out @ 5gr w/ a 175grLFP for around 900fps in a 4" 4006. You have a little room to run w/ W231. Try working up in 0.1gr increments & look to stop at 5.6gr as max, see if that helps. Recoil will go up, that should raise the POI.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried up to 5.1 and still low. I will try a little more and see what happens. I did see some thread that 5.6 was max and was trying to stay clear of that. Seem like the only way to go is up. Thanks for the response.

I appreciate it.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I tried up to 5.1 and still low. I will try a little more and see what happens. I did see some thread that 5.6 was max and was trying to stay clear of that. Seem like the only way to go is up. Thanks for the response.

I appreciate it.
Are you handloading he 165gr bullets as well or are those factory JHP? A plated bullet is diff in construction & that alone could be throwing shots low. Also, watch the crimp on a plated bullet, if you pull a bullet & there is a ring in the plating, your crimping too much. This could affect accuracy but shouldn't affect POI.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I have to say the 165's were walmart specials winchester flat point. However, I had the same result with the 180's ( factory ) same aim point shooting good maybe just a inch low. These are coming up about 4 inches low. Crimp is good. It seems somewhere in the loads. I have some 165's plated on the way but haven't received them yet. Hopefully this week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts