Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reloading for only about 6 to 8 months, I load 40 cal. more than anything since thats what I shoot the most. I reload simply for the reason that I want to produce the most accurate round possible. With the 40 cal. round I have only used 180 gr. bullets in many different brands. I have successfully found a load that I am very pleased with. My question is as follows, I want to try bullets of lower weights 135 gr. , 155 gr. , 165 gr. If you could only buy one of the above mentioned weights which would it be. As I said I like the 180 but I am searching for even more accuracy, tighter groups.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
What are your accuracy requirements & are you & your pistol upto it? I find you can build an accurate load w/ any of the bullet wts. w/ the right powder combo. Only one bullet, probably 165gr-170gr depending on whether plated, jacketed or lead. My best accuracy load out of my USP & 4006 is 6gr of Unique under 165gr Berry'sFP. Offhand it will go right @ 1" for 5 shots @ 15yds.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are your accuracy requirements & are you & your pistol upto it? I find you can build an accurate load w/ any of the bullet wts. w/ the right powder combo. Only one bullet, probably 165gr-170gr depending on whether plated, jacketed or lead. My best accuracy load out of my USP & 4006 is 6gr of Unique under 165gr Berry'sFP. Offhand it will go right @ 1" for 5 shots @ 15yds.

my 180gr. load will shoot nearly the same at 15 yards as yours. I tend to shoot alot at 25 to 30 yards. one of my favorite range guns is seriously up to that distance(EAA Witness Match) . I had the idea that a lighter bullet would be better at this distance(30+ yds.)I tend to try pistols at distances that most people would not attempt, i have shot the 180 at 50 yds. out of the EAA with fair results(5 shots in a 6in. circle) For some reason the 180gr is not available at most of my local reloading supply stores, plenty of lighter weight. I was wanting to cut out alot of trial and error since reloading supplies have become kind of costly. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
my 180gr. load will shoot nearly the same at 15 yards as yours. I tend to shoot alot at 25 to 30 yards. one of my favorite range guns is seriously up to that distance(EAA Witness Match) . I had the idea that a lighter bullet would be better at this distance(30+ yds.)I tend to try pistols at distances that most people would not attempt, i have shot the 180 at 50 yds. out of the EAA with fair results(5 shots in a 6in. circle) For some reason the 180gr is not available at most of my local reloading supply stores, plenty of lighter weight. I was wanting to cut out alot of trial and error since reloading supplies have become kind of costly. Thanks for your input.
I run to 25yds sometimes for accuracy, & that load will break 2" if I am having a good day. Beyond that, it's plinking for me offhand. You are likely to have better results w/ 165-180gr bullets out at 50yds IMO. A 155gr may shoot a tiny bit flatter, but for me anyway, I haven't been able to get best accuracy w/ lighter bullets. I'm sure there some good loads out there, I just haven't wanted to work that hard at it. I shoot primarily 170grLTC or LFP for practice rounds, so that's where my load dev. goes.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
For best accuracy loads with no consideration of recoil, cost, etc., I'd stick to the 165gr TMJ/FMJ if I had to only pick one bullet weight. That said, the 180gr stuff is a close second, but my accuracy has been slightly better and more consistent with the 165gr stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts