Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are threads on this but after 30 minutes of using search and not finding it I'm going to ask anyway.

.40 S&W ammunition.

Whats are people using for Target, and carry. Whats the best bullet weight 155/165/180 GR. and how are they different?

can anyone guide me to a site that would tell me all the basics about ammunition in general please.

From reading it seems that +p means that these rounds are loaded with a more powerful powder charge? and +p+ is more powerful yet? +p+ available to LEO only? is this right?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Hey bro. Welcome to the forum.
Alot of the time it all depends on what you and your XD, shoots the best.
Sometimes the weapon may not like the expensive types, and shoots el-cheapo rounds perfectly.
The best thing I could say is to get several types and practice with em. See which ones your XD shoots accurately, and which ones have the recoil you are comfortable with.
It'd be useless to buy expensive "super mean" rounds, only for you not to be able to hit anything with em :wink:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I use Blazer, Wolf, WWB etc in 180 gr for range. There is a plethora of good .40 self defense loads. Providing the load functions reliably in your gun, there isn't a hollowpoint round loaded by a major manufacturer that won't perform up to expectations in .40. I use the WWB or UMC 180 gr JHP loads for SD and don't give it another thought.

In .40 there is no +P spec so if you see ammo saying it is .40 +P beware.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Its all about preference.

for target shooting I use whatever is cheap and available. Winchester White Box, Wolf, Speer Lawman. doesnt matter.
For carry ammo I use hollowpoints from any of the big name manufacturers because once again, the differences are so small as to be unnoticable. I currently have Hydrashoks in one gun, and the other one has Corbons simply because they were what was sitting at the front of the counter when I went in.

+P+ is overcharge and is available to anyone. but also remember that it does add to the stress on the gun itself.

People make way too much of a big deal over this bullet weight, that design, this name brand, blah blah blah. What DOES matter is this.....

Is it reliable ammunition.
Can you hit your target Center Mass quickly and repeatedly with no malfunctions.

That's it. Rest of it is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:idea: Take a look at this link to help answer your questions for .40 SW and other calibers.

http://internetarmory.com/handgunammo.htm

Personally, I've been shooting WWB 165 gr FMJ and PMC 165 gr FMJ for practice with my new XD40 SC. Carry has been Corbon 165 gr JHP. No problems. All very reliable with my gun.

Tried some range ammo the first day I had the XD40 SC that was "American Amunition" (not American Eagle). I had 8 misfed rounds and I attribute that to the cheap ammo and the brand-new recoil springs.

The fix was this...I locked the slide back for 5 consecutive nights while it was stored in the gun cabinet and I changed to better practice ammo.

Locking the slide back compressed the springs as if the gun had fired a few hundred rounds, somewhat "breaking it in."

·
Registered
138 Posts
BE CAREFUL There is no such thing a +p for .40S&W If you have any ammo labeled +p in .40, throw it away...

However, self defense and Police loads are loaded to maximum spec, whereas cheaper target ammo usually is not. So the carry ammo is usually hotter than target loads....

·
Registered
813 Posts
The Corbon and Triton 135gr. rounds fall into +P catagory by SAAMI standards but are no longer marked +P

Triton's TR40HVA. 135-gr JHP 1,325 fps/500 ftlbs+.

Corbon's SD40135. 135gr JHP 1325fps/526ftlbs.

I would like to try a box to see just how much they kick. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
There is no SAAMI standard for +P in .40. If they are overpressure I wouldn't fire them. Especially in a Glock...

Just because they are hot doesn't make them +p What counts is the pressure inside the case, if that is at safe levels within SAAMI spec or the european spec (which I can't remember the name of right now) then they should be safe. If they are overpressure, they aren't.

+p in 9mm and .45acp and .38special are SAAMI specs, those rounds in 9mm that are marketed as +p+ are not to any spec and may also be dangerous.

·
Registered
242 Posts
For range shooting I shoot handloads, 155 gr at about 900 fps. It is similar to cheap Wal-Mart ammo except more accurate, a lot cheaper, and lead free.

For carry, I prefer Remington Golden Sabers, although Speer Gold Dot is fine as well. Both in 165 gr. I prefer 165 gr over heavier for terminal performance. Slower bullets have a higher chance of failing to expand properly. The 165 gr are faster and have reliable expansion.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I love the wwb 100 round value packs full of 165 grain.Never had a problem with em.My g/f just bought me two 100rnd packs for an early easter basket.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I usually shoot WWB value packs at the range, but sometimes use the range's Atlanta Arms reloads. For carry it's Winchester Ranger 180gr.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Target/Practice: Until I started reloading, I shot 165gr WWB value packs almost exclusively. I found them to be somewhat better and much cheaper than Federal American Eagle, which is what my range carries most.

Carry: Winchester Ranger, 180gr or 165gr. I've tested a box of each and found no significant difference in accuracy or POI at "defensive" distances. I' currently carrying the 180gr.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts