Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while considering getting an XD and the caliber i've come across a question for all the ballistic experts out there, is there any significant advantage to the .40 over the 9mm. I see some disadvantages to the larger round such as reduced capacity (25%) and slightly more recoil, but is it still worth getting a .40? By the way the model im looking at is the sub compact

tia... cappy

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There used to be, but modern 9mm rounds can provide pretty good performance.

Still, a bigger bullet's a bigger bullet. In a gunfight I'd just rather have a .40. Sure, there's the capacity issue, but that's why God created mag holders. :)

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
This subject has been thoroughly debated in just about any caliber vs caliber thread. They both get the job done, so really its a personal choice. If your eyes is old and aim aint so good, go with the higher 9mm capacity. But really, 12 rounds of 40 is quite a bit of fire power.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Bullet diameter and grain weight gives the advantage to the .40 S&W. I was of the notion at one time that with the advancements in ballistic technology, the difference between the 9mm. and the .40 was statistically insignificant. However...that technological advancement has also worked in favor of the .40, making it the superior defensive round, IMO. I have changed my tune over the years and today would opt for the .40 over the 9mm. for defensive purposes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my hands at least, the ergonomics of the XD reduce felt recoil to such an extent that I find it more comfortable to shoot the XD40 than most 9mm pistols. That goes for both the Service and SC.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Everyone here, who post that bullet tecnology makes the 9mm the equal of larger calibers, needs to do a little research. I have the opportunity to regularly test the latest and greatest defense ammo in multiple calibers shot from multiple types of duty weapons. Guess what, I would say that more often than not, stuff is still not reliably expanding. If your ammo expands, great. If your ammo doesn't expand, you need the biggest bullet you can throw. I personally don't carry anything but .45, 230 JHPs. If it expands it is going to do serious damage, if it does not expand, it is still going to put a large hole in the target. The same cannot be said of a 9mm bullet. Do what you want. But, I suggest that you carry the biggest caliber that you can handle.

ranburr

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replies. I am leaning towards the .40 (especially now), I guess my only concern still is the extra wear and tear that the larger round will produce.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
cappy said:
Thank you all for your replies. I am leaning towards the .40 (especially now), I guess my only concern still is the extra wear and tear that the larger round will produce.
All things being equal cappy; the gun in the .40 will probably outlast you. I've got over 10,000 rounds of 9mm. through my HS2K and the only noticeable wear is cosmetic. I would expect to see nothing different from the .40 or 357 SIG.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I count on all my Springfields outlasting me. I intend to keep both my XD's and I'm still a young buck. As long as Springfields still in business when im sixty, and my XD finally breaks down cuz I shot it so much, I'll send it back to em and have em make it work again. Thats what lifetime warranties are for.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
sjp2452 said:
There used to be, but modern 9mm rounds can provide pretty good performance.
the same performance, if not better than a .40

+1

Awareness and shot placement will beat out any caliber.

so... the short answer to your question is, NO

the long answer is YES, depending on what you will use it for. remember, "let the mission dictate the gear".

·
Registered
314 Posts
While shooting steele targets at 15 meters.....45 and 40 dropped em...the 9mm left em standing unless shot placement was on the money...As for choice bigger bullett......bigger hole...for me I like the 40...however when(if) the 45GAP really takes hold I will switch........

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Comfort and confidence in your pistol will win the day, not how many rounds are in the magazine. If you are comfortable with your choice...it points naturally and you know where it hits...you will shoot better and that results in stopping power. People argue bullet size and caliber all day long, but a hit in the vitals very quickly and before they shoot back will win the day.

I feel just as confident and well-armed with a 7-shot 45ACP 1911 than with my 12 shot XD-40 or 14 shot Hi-Power. Why? Confidence and familiarity with the 1911 rule out over magazine capacity. I am sure I won't need more than 7-8 rounds if I am armed with a 1911...I just know it.

Besides, I tend to agree a little with Col. Jeff Cooper about how a large magazine capacity tending to make one give in to the "spray and pray" mentality. Ever seen most guys with AKs, ARs and Mini-14s at the range? They pump out shot after shot with little regards to actual marksmanship. If thats your bag, fine...this is a free country, but don't look for my approval. Small tight groups of 3-5 rounds is impressive...a 15" circle at 50yds is not. I have 100 dollar rifles that will do better than that. Why do guys buy a 800-1200 dollar rifle, then go out and shoot at 50yds and think its cool to have 10-15 inch groups? I don't get it.

If you feel more confident with a 15 shot 9mm over a 12 shot 40SW than the first is your best choice. Pick a good defensive round and practice with it and know where it hits and the 9x19mm will serve you well.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
115 Posts
Very well stated Brickboy240.

When I boiled it down for my own personnel preferences I chose the .40 and have not had any regrets –if you exclude the occasional cringe as I purchase ammo.

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
Heavier bullets do have another advantage.

Physics tells us that an object in motion tends to stay in motion, right? Well, a heavier object tends to follow the original trajectory better when an object (bones, glass, whatever) is placed in its way.

Simply put, small bullets deflect more than larger bullets.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Brickboy240 said:
Why do guys buy a 800-1200 dollar rifle, then go out and shoot at 50yds and think its cool to have 10-15 inch groups?

- Brickboy240
:lol:

With optics, no less.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Is the .40 caliber better than the 9mm? In absolute terms, the answer is yes. It is a larger caliber so it makes a bigger hole. It's a more modern round, so ammo manufacturers can load it fairly hot without worrying about consumers putting it in an eighty year old pistol.

That said, the difference is .03ish in diameter. It's not that much bigger caliber. The permanent wound track is not that much larger and wound depth is not that different when using good defensive ammo. I don't think .40 is all that much more effective vs. 9mm.

It comes down to comfort and trust. I trust the Winchester 127grain +P+ 9mm rounds loaded in my XDs will do their job well, as long as I do my job well (which is to place those rounds in the right place.) Others are more comfortable with the .40 or .45acp etc.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Brickboy240 said:
Besides, I tend to agree a little with Col. Jeff Cooper about how a large magazine capacity tending to make one give in to the "spray and pray" mentality. Ever seen most guys with AKs, ARs and Mini-14s at the range? They pump out shot after shot with little regards to actual marksmanship. If thats your bag, fine...this is a free country, but don't look for my approval. Small tight groups of 3-5 rounds is impressive...a 15" circle at 50yds is not. I have 100 dollar rifles that will do better than that. Why do guys buy a 800-1200 dollar rifle, then go out and shoot at 50yds and think its cool to have 10-15 inch groups? I don't get it.

- Brickboy240
Its not for you to get. I own all of those, yet I still dont ask for your approval. Of course I will take my $1100 AR out with the $900 triji acog scope on it and blast away 1000rds on a weekend and most of it is just shooting nothing. But I can also make really nice groups or tap steel freehanded at 400 yards or even go jackrabbit hunting at night or shoot glowsticks on the river at night. Its what I like so I do it for me and not you. Just because I like to take my AK out and slap on the 75rd drum and bump fire it at full-auto rate is none of your concern either. Its my money, my hobby, and my 2nd ammendment right.

I can only imagine what you would think of my 45lb 62" $2500 Armalight 50bmg with a $1500 Night Force scope, but thats not for you to get either.

Stop sounding like a liberal :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Depending on where you shop (at least online), the price of .40 is falling in line with the 9mm. it seems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts