Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone here on XD talk! New member here.

I am looking at buying my first pistol and I have been looking at the XD for a long while and have decided that I really like the XD 4" in 45 ACP, the thing that I cannot decide on is weather to get the service model or the compact model.

I do plan on carrying it concealed eventually and I know the compact is the way to go with that but I have held both guns and I just really did not like the way the compact felt in my hand as I am a big guy aqnd have big hands.

So I was just looking for any advice or opinions that can help me make my decision a little easier!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Sounds to me like you've already made your decision...what feels good in my hands will not feel good in yours.

I went with the compact as I find the grip to be sufficient. You can also use the extended magazines for the service size grip. If you're only going to use the extended mags might as well just get the service.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Depending upon where you are located, maybe you can have both? With the compact model, it comes with both a 10-rd magazine that is ideal for carry and a 13-rd that extends the grip for a day at the range. Again, depending upon where you live, you may be able to essentially have two guns in one if you go with the compact model. Just a thought.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow thanks for the quick responce!

I am in Nevada and I have looked at the gun at the local Cabella's and they desplayed the gun in the case with the mag extension but even with the extension I didn't care for the feel of it.

The main reason I ask is because a good friend of mine who shoots says that getting a the gun with the longer grip is not a good idea if i plan to conceal carry as it will be more difficult to conceal. I just don't know if i should listen to him becuase he makes a good point or if i should just go with my gut instinct.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I say go with the XDM. Im a big guy too, 6'5 270. And my hands wrap around most guns. The larger grip on the xdm fits great. I looked at prices before buying mine and it was a $60 diff between the xd and the xdm. I did go wiht the 9mm though because I wanted my wife to feel comfortable shooting it as well.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
the longer the grip, the harder it is to conceal. the high cap mag with extension sleeve is the same as the service grip. if you didnt like the compact grip, try seeing if they will let you put a pierce pinky extension on it to try that out. the compact is the better of both worlds.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I conceal carry the tactical with no problems..just for your info. Make the gun fit your hands for that all important initial grip for first shot accuracy. You can always buy a smaller gun later for summer carry if you must and you get two guns:mrgreen::mrgreen: not just one. MHO!!

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
+1 on the pearce grip extension on the compact. It makes the gun so much more comfortable. Do a search I have posted a pic of it before. I can get one up after I get home. The finger extensions are approx. $7 and make the gun perfect.

·
Premium Member
127,757 Posts
As has been mentioned above grip fit is a very personal thing. I went with the Compact and bought a grip extender.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you didn't like the feel of the compact even with the mag extensions (making it the same as a tactical), then why would the tactical be any better? The compact with the extended mag should be just like the tactical. If you feel that your hand is too big for the grip, might I ask if you've tried a *gasp* Glock? You might find that you feel it fits your hand a little better. In any case, shoot everything you're considering absolutely as much as you can before you settle on a purchase. There is probably a range near you with a rental program. Use it. I spent nearly $300 at the range on ammunition and gun rentals before I finally settled on my XD 45 compact - more than half the cost of the gun - and every dime of it was money VERY well spent. If only I'd done the same over a decade ago when I bought my Beretta, I probably wouldn't own my 92 FS.

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
Go with what fits your hands better! Have you been to any of your local ranges and compared the two when firing? :)

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
If you feel that your hand is too big for the grip, might I ask if you've tried a *gasp* Glock?
Blasphemy!!

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, that unless you're anorexic, a midget (vertically challenged for all you political correctness types), or a petite woman, the right choice of holster and clothing will be effective in concealing just about any pistol. I carry comfortably a .45 Tactical in a Crossbreed Super-Tuck. I can hardly tell it's there except for the extra weight hanging off my belt, and my wife can't tell when I'm carrying.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have big hands and don't like the Compact grip - until I put a mag in and that little bit extra makes all the difference. As long as my little finger has something to rest on I'm happy, I guess. I have it and the Service and the Compact is much better for carry.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same question and concerns. I like the compact because it is easier to conceal but I did not like the feel of it in my hands. Even with the extender. On the other hand, I liked how the service model felt in my hand. It felt more comfortable and it gave me the feeling of better control. I carried my 45 service model for three days over Thanksgiving at the in-law’s farm in the holster that came with it and the 20 plus family members there never noticed. When my daughter gave me a hug she thought it was my cell phone. Through past experience I have found that if a tool or equipment is uncomfortable, difficult to use, or not fun to use, I will eventually stop using it. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Don't understand why the compact with the 13-round magazine would feel any different than the full-sized model? They should be exactly the same except for a the slight gap where the the extension fits on the longer mag. Otherwise...identical, I think. Could be wrong here.:confused:
The compact will always be easiest to conceal with the 10-shot mag fitted. The pinky extension has solved the whole issue for many guys with big hands but without trying one with the extension attached you can't be sure and range guns aren't likely to have that available. If the 13-round mag was okay for you then you could get a compact, add a pinky extension and see if that worked okay for you...if not, just carry with 13-round mags.
I can understand what it must feel like with large hands and a gun that feels too small to fit. I carry a mouse gun, with or without my XD-45c and it jumps around in my hand like a bouncing ball. Very hard to shoot. If you can't get the compact to fit decently then you'll never be happy with the thing.
They were supposed to be coming out with a 45 version of the XDM around January but haven't heard much lately. That has an adjustable grip to fit all hands. If you have something decent to carry for now you might just wait for it.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I have and like the grip extenders but also have mags without them for easier carry without that little piece protruding. Get both and enjoy them. The 45 compact is a kick ass piece!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you everyone for all the great advice/opinions!

Yes my main problem with the compact mag extension was that the gap felt funny and the mag with extension almost felt like it was loose when it was inside the gun. I don't know it might just be that I am not use to it as all the other guns I have fired never had a mag extension.

Thanks XDONBOARD for the advice on the pearce grip extension I looked into that and it does seem like a very apealing idea as a solution to the compact issue.

Unfortuanatly as far as I know there are no ranges in the Reno area that rent out guns to test fire I wish there were as it would be a great option.

But that pearce grip extension just might have sold me on going with the compact model. I only wish I could try an XD out with the extension on it.

As a little side question I have tried finding information on the XDm line and unless i'm looking in the wrong places I cant quite figure out what the diferences are between the XD and the XDm.

Thanks again to everyone here!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buy the 45 compact (mine is silver/OD green), and get the Pierce extensions!!! I have a 9mm Sub-compact with the Pierce extension and it is awesome. Since I have large hands and a little 9mm SC is fits extremely well, I had no reservations ordering two 45 extensions today for my new 45 service compact (got it yesterday). Please note I have a Service 45 also, and I have never pinch my hand slamming in a magazine for either gun. I have 4 XD's now, one 9mm and three 45's (Tactical, Service, Compact). Take any XD 45 and it's deadly out to 75-100 yds depending on what barrel you have. Needless to say, having any XD 45 is a primary defense gun and the little 9mm is backup. If I'm bored, I always have two Springfield 45 1911's and one S&W 45ACP 3.75 barrel (FBI gun, shh) for choices... Don't let people tell you want you want or don't want! I love the XD more due to high quality/reliability and easy of disasembly without scratching the Stainless Steel 1911 frames. Yes the 1911's are slightly thiner, with 8+1; or the XD with 10+1 and weights less for CCW. Your choice, I stated miine... Happy Holidays... Allen

1 - 20 of 36 Posts