Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an M&P 15 with some aftermarket 4 rail hand guards. I cant remember what the brand is, they're cheap ones I bought at a gun store from the plastic ziplock bag section. They fit ok and work just fine, but theres quite a bit of vertical play in them. So, when I grab the front grip it seems like the ring that holds the front of the handguards moves up and down. Right now this isnt too annoying, but I'm wondering if this is just because I bought cheap hand guards. It's hard to tell as it looks like this ring is moving, not the handguards alone. Would a higher quality hand guard not move like this, or am I wanting something I can only get from a floating handguard system?

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Interesting you should bring this up. I have an M&P 15 that I put Tapco Fusion Quad Rails (not cheap $149 retail) on and I'm experiencing a similar problem with them being loose. Not vertically like yours, but side to side play about 1/8".

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
That's the very reason that I don't like the drop-in 2 peice railed forends. Even if they're tight when you put them on, every one I've ever tried or used will eventually wear if you use it enough and start showing slop in it.

If you want absolutely solid, don't play around and waste your money on those and go with with a true freefloat. I've seen true railed freefloats going for as little as $85 new and anywhere between $75 on up used if you look around.

This forend I picked up new for $85.

And this rifle length (also new) for under $50 shipped

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i bet they are the UTG rails. they are the cheapest ones i know of.

try to find a pic of the UTG rails and see if they match

edit to add: i didnt know they were two piece ones.

YHM makes a good free float that you can find for around $100.

yea the two piece ones arent that good, and dont even compare to a free float.

i bet if you get a free float i bet you will be very happy

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just found the packaging. Command arms accessories. It doesnt really bother me. I was just wondering if it's normal. But it sounds like it's free floating or nothing. Maybe this is an excuse to buy an upper geared more towards long distance rather than my close range set up now (eotech 512 forward grip and flashlight)

·
Registered
752 Posts
That's the very reason that I don't like the drop-in 2 peice railed forends. Even if they're tight when you put them on, every one I've ever tried or used will eventually wear if you use it enough and start showing slop in it.

If you want absolutely solid, don't play around and waste your money on those and go with with a true freefloat. I've seen true railed freefloats going for as little as $85 new and anywhere between $75 on up used if you look around.

This forend I picked up new for $85.

And this rifle length (also new) for under $50 shipped
Where did you get the carbine length rails? and what are they?

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I want one of these! Hope they don't get loose. $130 on their website.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I can get MI FF CAR rail for $140 delivered. or you can go all out and Get some DD Car Rails for $270 and will include 3 BLK ladder covers

·
Registered
902 Posts
I've used Surefire M73 2-piece on 3 ARs and they never worked loose, a good friend has the DD Omega rail 2-piece and reports them to be solid as well.

FF rails are nice, but not mandatory imho, esp on really short bbls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts