Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the process of my first build, and I want to go with a Magpul stock (naturally). I've seen "kits" with the buffer assemblies included but the setup I've seen runs 150 before shipping. I'd been looking for JUST the buffer tube assemblies, but I've found stocks that are actually cheaper than doing that. So, I need some advice.

I realize these stocks are pretty crappy, but I don't really care since the stock is getting replaced. Here's what I've found...

This is a 6 position tube, and after shipping comes to about $50... which is $10 less than the only real place I've seen offer JUST the assemblies (AIM, which is out of stock)

This one has a 4 position tube (you can see the positions of the holes in the first picture) and is $35 after shipping, which is way less expensive than anything I've found.

It doesn't say if they are mil-spec or commercial, but it doesn't matter that much since the CTR comes in either. So my questions are:
Is there much quality difference in tubes and buffers? Would these be about the same quality as others? I know a lower is a lower is a lower... is a tube a tube and a buffer a buffer?

While I'm putting a bit into this build, I'm still a college student and trying to save where I can. Assuming these tubes are fine, is it worth an extra $15 to have 6 positions opposed to 4? It looks like the extra positions are in close. I'm not that small so I don't know if those shorter positions are really that necessary. Thanks a lot, I definitely appreciate it all!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
It's probably worth the extra money to only have to wait for 1 package. I got mine as a kit with the tube and all. The best part about the kit is that you know for sure they will work together. Lots of people like to say "milspec" and then are commercial... you know how it goes.

One more word to the wise... if you want to put a 1 or 3 pt sling on that baby be sure to get the adapter plate for it now. It sucks pulling it apart and putting it back together with springs flying everywhere!!!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha, I kinda like waitin for extra packages... I've got a wait for the upper anyway, so I'm not in a huge hurry. I'll look into the adapter plate, thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
It's probably worth the extra money to only have to wait for 1 package. I got mine as a kit with the tube and all. The best part about the kit is that you know for sure they will work together. Lots of people like to say "milspec" and then are commercial... you know how it goes.

One more word to the wise... if you want to put a 1 or 3 pt sling on that baby be sure to get the adapter plate for it now. It sucks pulling it apart and putting it back together with springs flying everywhere!!!
Good advice!! Never thought about that. From what I understand a normal Magpul CTR doesn't come with a buffer tube. I haven't checked with the local shop yet, I think my lower comes in tomorrow so then I'll know for sure. But where is a good place to get a buffer tube? The milspec one. So many options I'm starting to get confused. I've been researching since Sunday night. The CTR is friction so the tube doesn't need holes right? And all the different buffer weights?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awe heck, now that you've sent me that link... dangit! lol I might just have to delete this thread. Are there any opinions on buffer upgrades? Are they worth it?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The CTR uses both (I believe)... You still need holes, but the friction adds to the tightness.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Those will be commercial sized and they will be pieces of crap. You don't save money buying crap. I'll bet the box they come in says China on it.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Those will be commercial sized and they will be pieces of crap. You don't save money buying crap. I'll bet the box they come in says China on it.
Your handy to have around. Can I just keep you on speed dial. Or just come over for dinner and learn everything I can about AR's from you?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The box probably says Chena. lol.

I would get the kit, but if you do the separate ones I would do the 6 position because that stock looks pretty and you can probably get 5-10 bucks for it.

The CTR's are bad ass and I am so glad I got one.

Get the holes because the friction setting isn't THAT tight. It is nice though.

As far as buffers go, the best advice I have heard is to buy one of each and use the heaviest one that will still let your gun cycle and hold the bolt open. Keep the rest as backup.

I have the standard one that the kit came with and it works fine ;). I have heard that the heavier buffers reduce recoil and lengthen the time it takes to go back into battery. I really don't notice much difference between that one and the H buffer in my Colt. It's an AR. I doubt buffer really matters at all until you get a full auto M4 hehe.

MVician knows a ton about AR's, Im sure he will chime in.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input! I knew I should have just PMed you and got it over with. However, I guess it paid off... Thanks Fish! That's convenient actually, because they have the MIAD in stock as well... plus I was able to get a spanner wrench. Looks like an all around good buy.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Thanks for the input! I knew I should have just PMed you and got it over with. However, I guess it paid off... Thanks Fish! That's convenient actually, because they have the MIAD in stock as well... plus I was able to get a spanner wrench. Looks like an all around good buy.
Dude, I appreciate posts like this because it gives a chance for n00bs like me to learn and ask questions without feeling horrible for starting a new thread. So I just learned how to hi-jack others!! hehe

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I love AR's and I am so glad I built my own (lower at least). My brown, budget $700 build jumped up to $1500 before I was done. It took me about 8-9 months to finish it at 150-200 a month ><. I think the only thing I got cheap on it in the end was the stripped lower I started the build with haha.

I just wish the ammo was half the price it currently is ><.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys are a horrible influence on me. I had no intention of spending any money today (I just ordered an $800 upper yesterday!) but ended up seeing a decent priced in stock LPK, so I get that, then of course I don't want the CTR to get out of stock, so I get that, and figure I should get the MIAD as well... another $250 before I know it.

Edit: It is kind of exciting though, cause that means I just finished choosing/buying everything I "need" for the AR.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know... one thing at a time. I probably won't even have my upper for a couple months, so I'm not in as big of a hurry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts