Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I could get some suggestions from some of you that carry your XDs concealed. I am thinking about getting the sub-compact ,but I was thinking that if the 4" isn't that much harder to canceal then I could just get a 4" and use it in USPSA matches as a production gun. I would also like to get any suggestions on holsters that you all use to carry.

Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I find the grip is the hardest to conceal, so for concealed I prefer the subcompact. But I also like to conceal with just a t-shirt, if I use a button up shirt over my t-shirt I can conceal a Glock .45.

Alot depends on your body shape and how you dress.

You could always buy both, that's what I did. :D

·
Registered
813 Posts
I carry an SC and a Service depending on what I am wearing and what I am doing that day. The Service for me prints much more with just a polo on so it only goes in an IWB if I have a jacket on or in a shoulder rig.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have both a sub and a 4in.....iwb will conceal either gun but as stated the 4 in will have a bit of printing on the grip...especially for summer wear...for concealment its the sub....

·
Registered
539 Posts
i know this may not be the most helpful answer... but u might as well just buy both.

I have the 4" and i'm loving the xd so much i'm very seriously considering getting the sub now.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
+1 on the sub. The grip is by far the hardest part to conceal. Those couple inches make a world of difference.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Eric_Oh said:
I have the 4" and i'm loving the xd so much i'm very seriously considering getting the sub now.
same here. my fiancee's wanting a small gun, maybe I'll get her an SC 9mm and "borrow" it from time to time :wink: would be nice to have the SC grip with the 4" barrel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm 5'11" and right around 200lbs. I carry the service quite easily. I carried for about a month before she even knew that I ever carried. She just happend to put her arm around my waist and feel it. Since then she has never noticed until I take it off when we get back home from wherever we happen to have been. It is pretty comfortable and the only issue I have ever felt like I had was with the grip grabbing my shirt when I reach up for something but it has never exposed itself just made me nervous that it would. I personally say go with the service.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I bought my service about 1 1/2 years ago and concealed it until it need a recoat :D .Then I went and bought my Sub 6'3 165#.The service concealed almost as much as the sub.But since I have started to shoot about the same with either I normally take the sub .When winter comes back I'll go back to the service owb.
I use ctac about 3:30 and it does very well for me.
I am to thin for shoulder rig's Tried couple differnt ones and recieved huge prints front and rear.
I would buy the service first if I had to again

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I'm a fat dude and I carry my service everywhere...but I usually wear an overshirt.
However you might be able to notice if I go to pick somethin up.
If you wear loose pants like I do sometimes.....an ankle holster on a SC might be cool.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm 5'6", 130lbs and when I wear just a t-shirt, the grip sticks out fairly well, unless I have my IWB holster between 11-1

·
Registered
245 Posts
I wear an XD40 Service always. Went through several holsters to find one that keeps the grip close to my side.

1 - ClipDraw http://www.clipdraw.com is very uncomfortable for me.

2 - Galco Fletch High-Ride Belt is OK, but it has a thumb break. The thumb break gets in the way of my draw. And Galco gets rather touchy if you cut off the thumb-break. http://www.usgalco.com

3 - Galco Jak Slide Holsters are uncomfortable and don't feel secure (like when running).

4 - Galco Yaqui Paddle type holsters are floppy (a big negative for CCW) and stick out, thus printing

5 - CompTaq Kydex Paddle - Nice holster but still allows the grip to print. http://www.comp-tac.com/main.php I do like it though. - Good for very fast draw. This is the one I would use in IDPA - but not in CCW.

6 - Fobus Tactical GLT17 for tactical attachments - Prints very much (see the images in the link). Draw the pistol toward the back then up and over (hard to get used to). It is made for the Glock, so the fit isn't absolutely perfect, but it works. Not recommended for CCW. http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=18594&highlight=fobus

===This is what I use now for CCW=====
6 - Don Hume, H721 OT (Open top). Very stiff leather. Very tight fit - very secure. Very snug to ribs - thus it prints less than the other holsters. And it's half the cost of many other holsters ($40). Downside: Takes a great deal of force to get the pistol out. But that's OK for me. http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/H721OT
I combined this with a Gunner's Alley gunbelt ($50). http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/GABELTQUARTER

That's my final holster for CCW for awhile. It's been fun testing these these holsters!

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I likey them both and carry everyday.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would love to have an SC, but I don't have any problems carrying my Service. I have carried it several times wearing a Fobus, T-shirt and shorts. Yeah, it prints conspicuously if I am moving fast. But, walking or standing you can't tell I'm packing. In Arkansas, it is not illegal for a gun to print if you have a ccl. It is only considered a threat if the gun can be seen (at least that's how it was a couple of years ago). I think I've discouraged a couple of potential threats by allowing my gun to print.

J

·
Registered
6 Posts
I only have the sc, but I love it. At first it seemed a bit heavy, but after about an hour I almost forgot it was there. I'm 6' and 200 lbs. Basic polo shirt untucked and not much print. I use a FIST kydex IWB. Easy draw yet secure enough that you can run and it will not slip.

My $.02

1 - 17 of 17 Posts