Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an XD-45 4" service model, great firearm. I've had some FTF issues, but it may have been due bad ammo. The two main failures were a ftf where the round came halfway out of the magazine, and the slide just froze halfway back (wondering if the rim caught the back lip of the next round in the mag?) and the other was a ftf stovepipe with the front tip of the cartridge sticking out, not the back of the cartridge. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be very open to suggestions. The ammo I was using was either American Eagle fmj or Independence fmj (which I think is pretty low quality ammo). If anyone has used this ammo I would also be interested in your thoughts.

I've got some AGP springs in the mail to see if that will help to make a difference. Right now the mags are very clean.

Anyways, my main question is...the failures aside, I've been thinking of the 5" tactical model. The two main questions I have are: what is the recoil like with the tactical versus the service, and if limp wristing were an issue, would the 4" or 5" version be less affected by problems associated with it? The second is if anybody has heard of any reports of the infamous 'freezing the action' via a misaligned guide rod on the 5" tactical version, or is it isolated to only the 4" model.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm not sure where to weigh in on some of the FTF issues. I've not had any in 2k rounds through my XD. I can tell you the guide rod and spring in a Tac is a single rod, single spring not like the captive in the 4" and 3" models so no slide freeze but I could be wrong. I really don't think limp wristing is an issue.....if my 120lb 5' 2" sister can handle my XD45 Tac with no problems I think most will be fine.

BTW welcome to the forum!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
The freezing issue only happens with the captured spring recoil system. So, the .45 Tactical which does not have this system isn't going to have the problem.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would call the difference between the recoil "slightly noticeable but of no practical difference".

Regarding the ammo, American Eagle is the standard cheapie ammo that my local indoor range sells. I've shot off close to 1,000 rounds of the stuff in both service and tactical size XD's without a problem, so I don't think the AE is the problem...

Scott

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
First limp wristing has nothing to do with size and everything to do with technique. The conditions you describe are caused by not enough force in the return stroke this most often caused by:

Limp wristing
Weak load
Too strong return spring

I have used both brands of ammo with no real issues. I'm assuming this gun still has the stock return spring which works pretty well with most loads except extremely light ones. My guest is that you are limp wristing and changing guns will not help bad technique. The 45ACP is a slow recoil round and can be more prone to limp wristing. Do a search on proper grips and practice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the feedback guys...

I've grown up shooting, but mostly all rifles. The proper way to hold a handgun has mostly escaped me;)

I will try some different techniques next time I get it out. I also got two AGP springs for the mags and will compare stock vs AGP next time I'm out.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts