Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im picking up my new XD .45 Compact tomorrow and was wondering whats the velocity loss with a 4" brl. as opposed to the 5". I had the 5" Tactical a few years back but traded it:confused:...anybody got chrono info to compare??

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
+-50 fps

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
At any justifiable defense distance, or even an acceptable/reasonable pistol hunting distance, I consider them ballistically identical. AG nailed it closer to actual.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
delete, duuble post

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
And the double posts continue ... What's up with the database ??

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Ballistics by the inch

Check them out they do all that testing!
While that is a great sit, nothing beats chronographing your own guns. Vle can vary as much as 50fps between the same manuf, sme gun. The 45acp is more forgiving than most other calibers. You'll find 50fps would be the high side, closer to 30fps. AN 45XDC is still on my list of must haves. I love my TAC.

·
Registered
486 Posts
While that is a great sit, nothing beats chronographing your own guns. Vle can vary as much as 50fps between the same manuf, sme gun. The 45acp is more forgiving than most other calibers. You'll find 50fps would be the high side, closer to 30fps. AN 45XDC is still on my list of must haves. I love my TAC.
Very true, rifling, the chamber, the action, can all affect velocity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys...I guess a bad guy wouldnt notice +-50fps:)...Shot some 165gr. Magtech First defense...1" group at 15 yards, sounds good to me! Springfields running a promotion if you buy an XD or XDm before Nov 1 (I think)...and you get 3 free mags and a mag pouch. Good time to buy another if your in the market for one. My next one will be the XDm .45 with the 5.25" BRL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ps...no jams shooting today...its an XD, nothing new here. My last compact double stack polymer pistol was a Glock 27...jamomatic.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Other differences is that the 5" barrel gives you an extra inch of sight radius, reduction of flash and noise and the extra inch of metal out front helps to control muzzel flip during recoil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts