Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started to load .380 again. I am loading 95 grn. Rainers over 3.7 grns of Unique with an oal of .975. I am wondering what the crimp should be. Mine are measuring .369 right now. Does this seem right? They drop into the barrell of my Sig232 with no problems.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I have just started to load .380 again. I am loading 95 grn. Rainers over 3.7 grns of Unique with an oal of .975. I am wondering what the crimp should be. Mine are measuring .369 right now. Does this seem right? They drop into the barrell of my Sig232 with no problems.
If the brass measures 0.007 thickness, your 0.369 is right on.
Measure the thickness of the brass at the mouth: double that measurement and add it to 0.355 (your bullet should measure 0.355) the results of these measurements should give you the ultimate measurement that your finished cartridge should be. This is one reason that you should separate your brass by head stamps, they are not all the same thickness.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Are you using a taper crimp? If so, the crimp should be 0.005", maximum, at the case mouth. Less is better, as long as you completely remove any flare left from your expander die. Measure the case diameter right at the mouth, and again along the straight portion over the shank of the bullet. The difference should be less than 0.005".

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
The .380 is a short 9mm (originally a .380 was called 9mm kurz, which is German for short). The diameter measurements should be the same between the two. I could not find a schematic on the .380 but here is one on the 9mm http://www.germanmilitaria.co.uk/pics/9mlger.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts