Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend gave me a LARGE bag full of .380 ammo reloads. First shot felt and sounded more like a 9mm. Then I realized that my right side is covered in gunpowder! ( Well there was alot anyways) What is his problem? Just plain too much? Wrong powder? (looks like unique)
I don't think it was too powerfull. But it kicked a little more than Hornady .380 auto 90gr JHP/XTP.
???????????

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did you look at the case after firing? Could you tell if the primer was cratered or if there was any sign of blowout around the primer? That can be an early sign of overpressure issues.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Yep, post a pic of the case, primer area and case head.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Cool. Check for flattened primers, swollen case heads, and cratered primers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Reloaded ammunition is like underwear. Be very careful who you share with.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Reloaded ammunition is like underwear. Be very careful who you share with.
I agree. Most of the time when I read my friend or so and so gave me some reloaded ammo it just makes me cringe. Post some pics and we will see if we can help you out. Also you said it looks like unique so you must have a bullet puller. Why not weigh the charge and get back to us.;)

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
That's what bullet pullers are made for! Hope you did not shoot a second.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. Most of the time when I read my friend or so and so gave me some reloaded ammo it just makes me cringe. Post some pics and we will see if we can help you out. Also you said it looks like unique so you must have a bullet puller. Why not weigh the charge and get back to us.;)
I say it looks like unique cause it's all over me! on my face, arm shirt... Little round disks, looks just like unique. ( I use to load .357)
Here are some pics.

Both shells look like they've been expanded about 1/3 from top but that can be a bit on the norm, right? Shells aren't split on ends.

Primers are cool I guess??
Today I compared them against the new ammo I just bought. Magtech Guardian Gold, .380auto+p 85gr JHP
First time shooting Magtech ammo. Went well. Very accurate + 250fps faster than almost all other .380auto. I haven't got my hands on the CorBon +p ammo yet but am looking forward to trying it.
Comments on spent reload shells or on being covered in unspent powder?
Comments on +p .380auto ammo I'm unaware of?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Doesn't look like there was excessive pressure. Slow burning powder in a short barrel will give you unburnt powder. Bullseye is also know for leaving alot of unburnt powder.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I just loaded and shot 50 rounds of 9mm loaded with Unique yesterday. The person next to me asked if I was firing a 10mm since it sounded loud. It was a minimum load, recoil felt same as anything else I shoot. Unique is a very static-cling-like powder and I find it here and there. He may have gotten some on the outside of his cases and it rubbed off from them onto you.

Also last night my daughter and I were inspecting 9mm cases we just cleaned and she noticed that the Winchester cases look like the ones you have pictured and the Remingtons don't. I didn't measure them since they'll be resized anyway, but they look ok. On their side they don't have a bow, and I think it is more optical than anything. Just my $0.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts