Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On monday when I rented the BG38 and LCR I kept all the brass and just notice that the headstamp specifically says ".38 SPL. WAD CUT.". So does that mean reloading it would be different than a regular .38 spl? Also seems that wad cut. bullets are pretty hard to find (unless I looking in the wrong spot).

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
No difference, I've reloaded .38 wadcutters from RN brass many a time.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Wadcutters (not wad cut :) ) is just a bullett design. they are use primarily as target loads. There is no difference in the brass.

The bullet was designed to make neat holes in paper targets to easily identify the holes.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahhh thanks you guys, I just though that since it said it on the headstamp that it was different. Although it would be fun to make them, I guess I'll have to find some wad cutter bullets and looking at my reloading manual for a 148gr wade cutter looks like you dont need alot of powder. I guess thats why the recoil didnt feel that bad? Anyways looks like I could be ready to make some reloaded 9mm, got my press, dies, hand primer, deburrer/chamfer, and electronic. Just need a caliper, boolits, powder and primer. I'll def. pick up .38 spl dies and case holder. Man this is going to be addicting :p

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Same brass. A wadcutter is often used for practice. It's usually a lighter bullet and powder load, so it shoots easy on the hand. It also cuts a neat, round hole in the target so you're sure where your round bit. Wadcutters and semi-wadcutters were once used in .38 spcl. as self defense rounds, before the hollow point became popular. They're still pretty effective in a snubbie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts