Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For no special reason I've begun to look for a .38 Special 2" or 3" snubbie revolver. Not for personal protection or a house gun, just looking for something different to play with. I've looked at Charter Arms, Taurus, Smith and Wesson among a few others. Not looking to spend much over $500.00 if that much which I know will limit my choices.

I'd appreciate anyone's opinion who has or had the Taurus 856 line S&W Bodyguards and 637 lines along with the Charter Arms Undercover line.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Toreass is garbage, as is charter arms.
If you want something that will last my first choice is S&W, then Ruger.

I've carried a S&W J-Frame as a BUG for the last 25 years everyday.

The most popular .38spl S&W J-Frames are the 642 (hammerless) and 637 (visable hammer).

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Find a nice used S&W Model 36; should be well under your budget.

If you must buy new, S&W 442/642 over the LCR all day, every day. I've owned both models...the LCR's trigger is lighter maybe, but it stacks like crazy and does not break clean. It's also bigger & heavier than the Smith, which if you want to carry it--particularly pocket carry it--makes a big difference.

Do not touch a Taurus. People who get good ones will talk 'em up...but a lot off folks don't get good ones.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Couple years ago I purchased a used (like new) S&W 442 for $280. I slip that in a pocket holster and carry all day. I had a snubby Taurus before the S&W, but just wanted the smith.. Nothing wrong with the Taurus at all.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Couple years ago I purchased a used (like new) S&W 442 for $280. I slip that in a pocket holster and carry all day. I had a snubby Taurus before the S&W, but just wanted the smith.. Nothing wrong with the Taurus at all.
As a former owner of two Taurii POS's...I have firsthand experience to dispute your final statement.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
219 Posts
As a former owner of two Taurii POS's...I have firsthand experience to dispute your final statement.

Just sayin'.
I know people that will say the same about Sig, HK, and any other brand. Truth be told there is no perfect brand. Same goes with automobiles, appliances, and anything that is manufactured. There are good and bad with all of them. But I understand how you feel about Taurus.

·
Registered
642 Posts
If your looking for a snubby I vote Ruger LCRX in 9mm. The trigger is awesome, It's cheaper than 38spl, and it's a Ruger so built like a tank along with exceptional customer service. If your on a budget iv shoot a few newer Taurus revolvers that were really nice. I regret selling my old model 36 but if I had to choose 36 or lcrx. Il go lcrx all day long with out skipping a beat.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
If your looking for a snubby I vote Ruger LCRX in 9mm. The trigger is awesome, It's cheaper than 38spl, and it's a Ruger so built like a tank along with exceptional customer service. If your on a budget iv shoot a few newer Taurus revolvers that were really nice. I regret selling my old model 36 but if I had to choose 36 or lcrx. Il go lcrx all day long with out skipping a beat.
Rugers are built HEAVIER, yes--because they use cast frames, not forged like S&W. They need to be thicker & heavier to get the same strength.

Tanks, they ain't.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Rugers are built HEAVIER, yes--because they use cast frames, not forged like S&W. They need to be thicker & heavier to get the same strength.

Tanks, they ain't.
The 1 piece frames by design are stronger than the slab side frames of the S&W. Either way you can't go wrong both manufacturers make great revolvers.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I own Taurus, Colt, Charter, NAA, S&W, and Ruger revolvers. I do have a Charter 357 that I consider wore out, I do think they wear quicker than the others. Other than that gun I trust my other four Charter to last long as they are not range guns.

I have a Taurus 605, a five shot 357, but akin to the 856. I like mine no matter what Cuda says, guarding the toilet as we speak. I also have a Performance Center edition of a S&W 637 with a bobbed hammer, it is a great gun.

I prefer six over five so for a 38 I carry one of my two Colt Detective Specials. I really carry my Ruger LCR in 327 Federal Magnum the most

·
Registered
15 Posts
For no special reason I've begun to look for a .38 Special 2" or 3" snubbie revolver. Not for personal protection or a house gun, just looking for something different to play with. I've looked at Charter Arms, Taurus, Smith and Wesson among a few others. Not looking to spend much over $500.00 if that much which I know will limit my choices.

I'd appreciate anyone's opinion who has or had the Taurus 856 line S&W Bodyguards and 637 lines along with the Charter Arms Undercover line.

Thanks
Love my S&W J frame model 60. Stainless .38 spcl/ .357 Their scandium frames really have a kick if you go more
than .38. My thoughts are if you’re going to buy a 38 special you might as well go with the 357 and shoot .38's out of it. That way at least you have an option if you want to go heavier load.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Love my S&W J frame model 60. Stainless .38 spcl/ .357 Their scandium frames really have a kick if you go more
than .38. My thoughts are if you’re going to buy a 38 special you might as well go with the 357 and shoot .38's out of it. That way at least you have an option if you want to go heavier load.
I do agree for the fun factor but 357 out of a light weight snubby really isn't all that fun 😆. The recoil is just plain painful and pointless. My lcrx in 9mm hurts 😆.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Thanks
I've got over 1500 rounds through the Taurus 856, 3".
As much as I doubted this revolver, it is a solid performer, and has great accuracy.
I have also installed the Galloway spring kit, and now the trigger has gone from okay to "almost" a Smith trigger.
Don't count the 856 out.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Font Gas

1 - 20 of 22 Posts