Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a .45 reloader that just picked up my first wheel gun. I'm looking to get into reloading for it as well.

I currently use Red Dot powder so any recipes utilizing that would be awesome! Other powders are ok to.

These will be target rounds, nothing super hot, just to plink with. Let me hear em!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a 2" S&W 642 and a 4" S&W 686. I use different loads for each. A 125gr for the 642 and a 158gr for the 686. My target velocity for each is 750fps. Enough that I know something is going on but not enough to beat me or the gun up.

I'm still working up loads with different powders but with the same bullet. What I have so far is:

3.6gr Winchester Super Target w/ 158gr LSWC
736fps out of the 686

4.1gr Winchester 231 w/ 125gr LRN
739fps out of the 686

Trail Boss with light bullets didn't work all that well. High standard deviations and exteme spreads. With heavy bullets out of a 4" they seemed to do OK but for some reason I hit a point where more powder didn't give me any more velocity. Pretty much gave up on it. However....

One of my reloading mistakes was 2.0gr of Trail Boss with a 158gr LSWC. Chronoed out of the 686 at 427fps. Probably made 350fps out of the 642. Being so light I used them in the 642 as a training aid. Remove the recoil factor and I could focus on trigger control and followthrough. Kinda cool watching the bullets go downrange too. Even at 3.0gr they did 554fps out of the 686 so even these would work as a snubbie training aid.

All in all WW 231 is the go to powder for revolvers.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4 gr. Red Dot with 158 gr. SWC.
Makes a great target round for me.

I appreciate all the replies, I will be trying this one out first since i have red dot on hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts