Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I recently purchased a Charter Arms .38 Special Off-Duty revolver w/ 5 shot cylinder and 2" bbl. Quick question is; Can I fire .38+P ammo with it or strictly .38 Special ? Reason is that I have a couple boxes of +P and since this will be the girlfriend's home defense pistol (she doesn't like the Walther .380 I got her) the +P has a little extra punch. Is it okey to use +P for home defense, and regular .38 Special for practice loads ?

Thanks !

Scott

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Personally, I would not fire +P if the weapon isn't designed for it. With repeated use the frame may stretch and cause the gun not to lockup properly. That is, if the cylinder doesn't blow first.

Play it safe and don't do it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Charter Off Duty #53811
53811 Off Duty Model: 53811
Finish: Aluminum
Frame: 7075 Aluminum
Grip: Combat
Barrel length: 2"
Capacity: 5-shot
Caliber: .38 Special +P
Hammer: DAO
Weight: 12 oz.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Hey fellas, what does the "+P" represent?

·
Registered
158 Posts
higher pressure. +p has a little higher velocity than a standard cartridge, and +P+ has an even higher velocity. not all cartridges have +P or +P+ options (like the .40s+w cartridge has neither, but the 9mm has both options).​

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
Charter Off Duty #53811
53811 Off Duty Model: 53811
Finish: Aluminum
Frame: 7075 Aluminum
Grip: Combat
Barrel length: 2"
Capacity: 5-shot
Caliber: .38 Special +P
Hammer: DAO
Weight: 12 oz.
Could easily be an earlier, non +p model.

If the barrel isn't stamped +P, I wouldn't use them. There are plenty of good non+P loads for .38 spl out there, just load it with one of those.

FWIW, I'm running straight-up 148gr wadcutters in my non+P M36 Chief's Special. If I run across some Barnes X-Tac 110gr coppers, I'll likely run them.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I agree with Cuda. Another good load is the 158gr swc. For defensive use I would stay away from round nose ammo in the .38.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone...It was my gut instinct not to use it, just wanted some verification.

Thanks again y'all !

Scott

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
.38spl +P => good
Charter Arms => not good (probably)

==================
Having said that, I have a Taurus 85 .38spl +P Ultralite. Many also think Taurus is a crap brand. So far, mine has been solid. So, your Charter Arms might work out for you. IMHO the 38spl is a good SD round.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
.38spl +P => good
Charter Arms => not good (probably)

==================
Having said that, I have a Taurus 85 .38spl +P Ultralite. Many also think Taurus is a crap brand. So far, mine has been solid. So, your Charter Arms might work out for you. IMHO the 38spl is a good SD round.
Well, the Charter Arms .38 Special was only $75 and seems pretty reliable, as most revolvers are...and the girlfriend thinks its a lot more comfortable for her to use than the Walther I got her...everyone has their preferences. It'll work til I can get her a .357 Mag ;)

Thanks again !

Scott

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Could easily be an earlier, non +p model.

If the barrel isn't stamped +P, I wouldn't use them. There are plenty of good non+P loads for .38 spl out there, just load it with one of those.

FWIW, I'm running straight-up 148gr wadcutters in my non+P M36 Chief's Special. If I run across some Barnes X-Tac 110gr coppers, I'll likely run them.
I've shot a lot of .38 Specials. Haven't seen a barrel stamped "+p" yet. You can shoot +ps in an aluminum-framed Colt Cobra; just not a lot of them. Fine to keep it loaded with +p for s.d. The cylinder isn't going to blow up! JHC!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've shot a lot of .38 Specials. Haven't seen a barrel stamped "+p" yet. You can shoot +ps in an aluminum-framed Colt Cobra; just not a lot of them. Fine to keep it loaded with +p for s.d. The cylinder isn't going to blow up! JHC!!!:rolleyes:
thats terrible advice to be giving anyone. you shouldnt be reccomending people shoot higher pressure loads than their weapon is rated for just because youve had good luck.

if you really wanna shoot +p ammo, call charter and give them the model and serial number, they will tell you what its rated for. after that its your call if you feel like gambling. and remember that even if the cylinder doesnt cause any damage to you when it explodes, you dont have anything to fight back with at that point when you obviously needed it.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
Then you haven't seen a current S&W (as in last 10+ years or so current).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just be on the safe side, I'm just going to put regular .38 Special through it... No big whoop...I'd rather err on the side of caution as far as things that go BANG are concerned...lol

Thanks !

Scott

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I carry +P HP in my S&W 442, definitely not fun at the range though even with a Crimson Trace padded laser grip. Ouch!

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
Do not use +P or +P+ ammo in a gun than doesn't have those designations stamped on the frame/barrel. Mercmar's advice was irresponsible. Don't follow it. You are to be commended for asking an intelligent question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do not use +P or +P+ ammo in a gun than doesn't have those designations stamped on the frame/barrel. Mercmar's advice was irresponsible. Don't follow it. You are to be commended for asking an intelligent question.
Can you shoot a 38 sp bullet in a 38 sp +p gun?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts