Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing recently someone who did a custom AR-15 in .357sig using a 9mm barrel and a slew of ballistics tests showing the rounds coming in at around 1700fps. My question to this is---if you're going to take the time to convert a 9mm barrel to accept .357sig why not go with a .357mag? just a thought.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
My question to this is---if you're going to take the time to convert a 9mm barrel to accept .357sig why not go with a .357mag? just a thought.
My thoughts are mags. You might be able to mod Uzi mags to work in a .357 Sig application or maybe use an Oly Arms lower that takes Glock magazines and modify the upper accordingly (9mm barrel reamed and setup for .357 sig?). I think it'd be a bit tougher to find a magazine that'd work for a .357 Magnum AR platform.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
.38 super might work in the 9mm mags if there is enough clearance and you would probably achieve close to the same velocity.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Meh, if I really wanted a go-fast .355" pistol-chambered AR, I'd make one in 9x25 Dillon

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I found where I'd seen it previously.

The worlds first gas operated 357 sig AR15 - Topic Powered by eve community

I've seen some J&T Distributing kits where they have 9mm uppers that will convert a .223 lower to fire 9mm. they also say they're coming out with some .40 conversions too.

So why not .357mag? Something kicking a 158gr JHP at 16-1700fps would be a very effective carbine. Wish I knew enough about ARs to develop something like this.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I dont know? - but then again I dont get pistol cartridges in rifles. It seems like your trying to put pedals on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I dont know? - but then again I dont get pistol cartridges in rifles. It seems like your trying to put pedals on a motorcycle.
Well, none of my motorcycles have pedals. . .

But a 9mm AR conversion allows for lots of carbine practice without the usual associated cost. Compare the cost of 5.56 ammo to the cost of 9mm.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
But a 9mm AR conversion allows for lots of carbine practice without the usual associated cost. Compare the cost of 5.56 ammo to the cost of 9mm.
By the time you pay
$550 - for a upper
$125 - Mag Block
$50 - 9mm Buffer and Spring
$25 - 9mm Hammer and spring
$50 - a few mags

A quick figure shows you have to shoot about 7000 rnds before see the benefits of cheaper ammo. So after you spend $2000 you will then be able to save $85.00 a case. (I used wolf 9mm vs wold 223)

Or

You can spend your $2000 on women and beer:cool:

either way - It would be fun to spend it:lol:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
So why not .357mag? Something kicking a 158gr JHP at 16-1700fps would be a very effective carbine. Wish I knew enough about ARs to develop something like this.
A rimmed case does not lend itself to the AR platform. You might as well get a .458SOCOM if you want a bigger bore carbine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts