Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a 40 to 357 conversion barrel. Anyone reloading the 357 and is it a PITA to do?:confused:

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Thinking about getting a 40 to 357 conversion barrel. Anyone reloading the 357 and is it a PITA to do?:confused:
Depends on what press you're using. I load on a Dillon 550. A shorter case (i.e., .380, 9mm, .40, .45) are faster, but no real problems with .357, .38 or even long gun ammo. The Sig .357 will require you to trim your brass.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I load 357sig on a Dillon 550B. The carbide dies are the only way to go IOhttp://www.tjconevera.com/berrys-bullets.htmlMO, & worth the cost. I don't know about trimming, I haven't gone thru the first 1000 cases yet, but have reloaded a small batch several times to check longevity & haven't need to trim yet after 4 firings, I doubt it will be required.
The biggest problem of the 357sig is bullet setback. You can NOT use any 9mm bullet & get good results. You MUST use a tuncated cone profile, JHP, FMJ or Lead, but the closer the profile is to a TC, the better neck tension you get. Set the dies up correctly to size the case so it headspaces on the little shoulder, a tiny bit of flare, a good taper crimp & it's not really diff. than loading anything else. The 357sig is what the 9mm+P+ wishes it was.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I have a P229 in .40 and .357 Sig and reload .40/.45ACP/.44 mag/.308 but do not reload .357 Sig.

An experienced reloader told me you still need to lube the cases when using carbide dies because it's a bottleneck cartridge.

However, he says he first resizes them using his .40 die and then resizes them again using his .357 Sig die and doesn't have to use lube this way.

YMMV

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Some interesting and relevant information @: .357 SIG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The case headspacing on the mouth or small shoulder has always been controversial. Most who load the 357sig, have adopted the shoulder headspacing. Just like a rifle round, the shoulder gives more consistant headspace. So again, I doubt trimming more than once in a case life time (say 10x) would be req'd.
As to lubing cases, recommended but not required using the carbide dies, whether a 40 sizer or the Dillon 357sig sizer. I only occasionally lube nickle cases for smoother cycling, but it is definitely not req'd.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Found this post on another forum:
The 357SIG comes kinda close to the 357 mag in lighter bullet weights. The heavier it goes, the better the 357mag performs. I personally don't see a need to go to the 357SIG when you can use a 9mm +P for SD or a 357mag for hunting, especially considering the cost of the ammunition. Heres some numbers from double tap ammo:

9mm Ballistics : 124gr @ 1310fps / 473ft. lbs. from a G17.

357SIG: 125gr @ 1525fps/4.5" barrel

357Mag: 125gr. @ 1600fps / 4" Ruger GP-100 or 1725fps from a 6" barrel

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've shot enough 357 sig to wear out a Glock 32. Its a hot round and is really accurate, reliable and penetrates well. My carry round was golddots. That said, they are very hard on guns and produce signifcant recoil. At the end of the day 127 grain +p+ 9mm gives you almost 357 sig performance. I've moved away from it (back to 45). If money was no object, I may still be carrying it, but its not.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I've shot enough 357 sig to wear out a Glock 32. Its a hot round and is really accurate, reliable and penetrates well. My carry round was golddots. That said, they are very hard on guns and produce signifcant recoil. At the end of the day 127 grain +p+ 9mm gives you almost 357 sig performance. I've moved away from it (back to 45). If money was no object, I may still be carrying it, but its not.
And 9mm+P+ is also hard on guns. It runs at higher pressures than the 357sig & still doesn't reach 357sig vel. For all that want to believe that 9mm+p or +P+ is close enough to 357sig to not matter, then why bother w/ 9mm+P+? Std. 9mmis close enought to that, and so on, and so on. If 9mm users are all over an extra 100fps that +P+ ammo gives, then why isn't another 100fps+ even better?:rolleyes:
FWIW, you can handload 357sig for almost exactly the cost of 9mm. Have you priced 9mm+p or +P+? It's quite pricey in it's own right. It's like anything else, you want the performance, it will cost something. SHooting full house 357mags all the time will burn up your Combat Magnum in short order too, I have done it, doesn't mean it's not worth the upgrade from 38sp+p or that the extra performance isn't worth it.:lol: 99.9% of shooters are just punching paper & can be quite happy shooting 9mm. They'll never need or appreciate the extra horsepower the 357sig, 357mag, 10mm, etc. brings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts