Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fellas it's almost tax refund time, and i think i have the wife talked into lettin me buy another XD
I have been leaning towars a bi-tone 357 sig, or a sub compact
I was wantin to get some info on the .357sig round......as i have heard it's the baddest of the bad?

·
Registered
539 Posts
.357 Sig is a badass round. Basically we're talking about a 9mm bullet traveling 30 to 50 percent faster. It goes BOOM real loud, and is a lot of fun to shoot. It is also pretty expensive. I typically pay about $13.00/50 for Range Ammo.

I solved that problem by buying an EFK FireDragon 9mm Conversion Barrel. I bought a case of 9mm CCI Blazer ammo at Academy Sports for $3.86/50 and now I'm able to shoot more. I'm a Happy Camper. The Conversion Barrel was a Drop-In, and I can keep Mags full of both 9mm and 357 Sig, so I can leave either barrel in the pistol.

Bottom Line? Buy an XD357 or .40 and then get a 9mm Cnversion Barrel. You'll love it. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
It has an insane muzzleblast, as much recoil as a .357mag..and is louder than a .45acp/357mag. This is the round that would come out if a .45acp and a 357mag had sex.

I've been addicted ever since I got my XD in it..

-Tyler

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've already got the .40 od service ....how does the .357 compare?

·
Registered
342 Posts
question (not a flame war please) can anyone describe the differences between the .357sig and the .357mag? I've been researching lots of different handguns recently for the same, tax-return reason, but can't seem to find out why there are sigmas and magnums. Is it shorter? It's bottle-necked right? Is that so they can use a smaller bullet? (Isn't a 9mm the same size as a .357 anyway?)

·
Registered
44 Posts
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_10_45/ai_55605825/pg_2

Understanding The Concept

The introduction of the .357 SIG cartridge a few years ago left me skeptical. The intention was honorable. SIGArms wanted an auto pistol load that would duplicate the splendid performance of the 125 gr. .357 hollowpoint revolver round, the one thing cops had sorely missed since their en masse switch to the semiautomatic pistol.

Whether Rowe and his cartridge succeeded in this is debatable, and the debate revolves around quantification of terms. The standard loading is a 125 grain bullet at a nominal 1,350 fps, generally delivering something between that figure and 1,300 when tested on a chronograph. The revolver round would go between 1,400 and the advertised 1,450 fps when fired from a 4" service gun.

The standard .357 SIG load equals the .357 Magnum 125 gr. when fired from a short barrel revolver. A friend and I recently tested the legendary Federal 125 gr. .357 hollowpoint from the 2" barrel of a small frame Colt Magnum Carry revolver. It averaged 1,330 fps. This is right in the .357 SIG ballpark.

In gelatin, a slight difference may be noted in the effects of the magnum revolver load when fired from a snubby versus a 4" service gun. In field use against human aggressors, big departments that shot a lot of people with both the detectives' 2 1/2" Combat Magnums and the patrol division's 4" uniform weapons saw no discernible difference.

In the same sense that no deer has ever noticed the 100 fps disparity between being shot with a .308 or a .30-'06, no criminal has ever been able to determine a difference in the barrel length used by the .357-armed cop who shot him.

Wrap It Up

This does not necessarily mean that .357 SIG equals .357 Mag. in the same bullet weight, however. There is the matter of bullet construction. One reason the 125 gr. magnum worked so well in the revolver was that it was a semi-jacketed design with lots of exposed lead up front, guaranteeing an early disruption when it took flesh. Some, like the Remington with its scalloped partial jacket, would break up and send nasty little fragments radiating out from the main wound channel.

This is unlikely to happen with the .357 SIG auto round, which is a fully jacketed hollowpoint whose copper wrap goes all the way up to the tip of the bullet and the edge of the hollow cavity. In gelatin, the .357 SIG is more likely to open and stay in one piece. Many authorities feel this is just what it should do, but it may alter the wounding dynamics compared to those of the cartridge it was intended to duplicate.

I will tell you this: The .357 SIG is accurate. I've shot it in the SIG P-226, both service and sport/target models, and in the same company's P-229 and little P-239. All delivered splendid groups. It has been my experience that the .357 SIG cartridge will almost invariably outshoot the .40 S&W in otherwise identical guns. This proved true in the Sigma, as well.

Finicky And High Maintenance

The .357 SIG is more popular than all other cartridges in its class (i.e., the .356 TSW and the 9x23) combined, but it still hasn't taken the world by storm. Ammo for this caliber is still thin on the ground.

Nearly all brands of ammo shot between 2" and 3" at 25 yards. This was reasonably consistent. Federal JTC did 2 even, the best of the lot, with the same company's Hydra-Shok close behind.

I tested two Speer entries, and both the Gold Dot and the Lawman training round stayed under 3" with the main body of the groups. The Rem-UMC training ammo would put four shots in 2 1/4", but only after the first shot had gone awry and opened the cluster to 4". I noted the same with the Speer. Only the Federal rounds seemed unaffected by this "one/four" syndrome, which is common with semianto pistols.

This particular gun shot way to the right and a bit low. I was using the conventional post-in-notch sight picture. Using the white dots, which sit lower than the top edges of the gunsights, brought the shots up to the correct elevation.

For windage, the plastic rear sight of Novak-like shape would need to be drifted significantly leftward. Considering the cost savings with this gun, I wouldn't mind doing that. I've seen a lot more expensive handguns lately whose sights were way off center.

The sights are plastic and cheesy-looking. You probably won't display an SW357V on the same shelf as your Performance Center guns. But, hell, most of us are going to keep it concealed anyway, and just what do we expect from an economy-grade product?

Recoil? It felt to me about like shooting a lightweight Colt Commander .45, more comfortable than shooting +P in a J-frame Airweight revolver, and much milder than full .357 loads in a service revolver. In short, nothing a trained shooter couldn't handle.
You will have an ultra-light, 16-shot pistol that delivers the ballistics of a .357 Mag. Snubnose, with much less recoil and with good accuracy, and of course much faster reloading. And you will have acquired it dirt cheap.

357sig is a .40 case necked down to 9mm.

-Tyler

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I just bought my second pistol in .357sig. Badass? you bet they are, great defense round, plenty of power, very accurate, extremely reliable feeding. Heck, this round only drops like 2 inches at 100 yards, not that we would shoot that far but you get the idea. The top government LEO's carry this round for a reason. IE: FBI, Secret Service, etc..

·
Registered
342 Posts
wayne53 thanks for the info. Of course, I still now have some new questions, but now I know where to start looking.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
willbond said:
.357 Sig is a badass round. Basically we're talking about a 9mm bullet traveling 30 to 50 percent faster. It goes BOOM real loud, and is a lot of fun to shoot. It is also pretty expensive. I typically pay about $13.00/50 for Range Ammo.

I solved that problem by buying an EFK FireDragon 9mm Conversion Barrel. I bought a case of 9mm CCI Blazer ammo at Academy Sports for $3.86/50 and now I'm able to shoot more. I'm a Happy Camper. The Conversion Barrel was a Drop-In, and I can keep Mags full of both 9mm and 357 Sig, so I can leave either barrel in the pistol.

Bottom Line? Buy an XD357 or .40 and then get a 9mm Cnversion Barrel. You'll love it. :D

You can get georgia arms canned heat for the .357 sig in 1000 round bunches. THe price is no more than buying 40 cal WWB at walmart with tax :)

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Matt,

Wayne53 makes an excellent suggestion. You have the XD frame you need, you now need the barrel. We have the .357SIG barrel for the Service model in stock. You can use the money you save on the Gun, for buying .357SIG ammo.

Just a thought.

Scott

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do these extra barrels just drop in? does my stock .40 mags hold .357 just the same ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello All:

This is my first post. On Monday I ordered an XD in 40 S&W from Davidson's. Now I am waiting for it to come in to my local shop. I am interested in getting a 357 barrel for it. Does anyone know what the differences between the 40 XD and the 357 XD are? I am wondering if the 40 can handle the recoil from the 357. Thanks.

NeoCon

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
do these extra barrels just drop in? does my stock .40 mags hold .357 just the same ?
Yes and Yes. In most instances, the barrel will drop in. If it does need fitting, you can do it yourself with a little instruction from us (we supply a helpful document).

You 40 mags will also hold 357SIG rounds, no problem.

Old School

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I was at the local indoor range, I was shooting one end (lane 10) and 2 other guys who were shooting a 9mm were on the other end (lane 2).

They were actually holding their hands over their muffs when I was shooting..they would be shooting, I would shoot and they would stop shooting and I could hear them laughing. It is a force to be reckoned with.

-Tyler

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
NeoCon said:
Hello All:

This is my first post. On Monday I ordered an XD in 40 S&W from Davidson's. Now I am waiting for it to come in to my local shop. I am interested in getting a 357 barrel for it. Does anyone know what the differences between the 40 XD and the 357 XD are? I am wondering if the 40 can handle the recoil from the 357. Thanks.

NeoCon
Unless I am wrong, the only difference is the barrel and the engravings.

Old School

1 - 20 of 36 Posts