Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago I purchased a new .357 service model.Upon my first range session I was somewhat let down. The ammo was remington 125 gr.hollow points.The problem is that although no "jams" were experienced,this pistol was not going fully into battery although it kicked empties out"with authority I might add" and had no problems stripping the next round out of the mag. I'd say about an eight to a quarter inch, out of battery. This problem plagued me through a full 200 rounds intermittantly.At several points I field stripped the pistol and sprayed some rem-lube into the firing pin channel and heavy bearing surfaces as well. On one fast string through a full magazine though, the pistol never failed? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
contact springfield armory. the XD357 is the most reliable of all XD's, and this is the second time Ive ever seen anything wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
A friends was doing that. We greased the slide rails, it worked fine.

·
Registered
214 Posts
um correct me if i am wrong, but i thought it wasnt a good thing to spray lube in the firing pin channel...... :? :shock:

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Arrowman said:
um correct me if i am wrong, but i thought it wasnt a good thing to spray lube in the firing pin channel...... :? :shock:
I dont think so either

·
Registered
181 Posts
My XD-357 has not returned to battery a few times and each time the round that loaded when this happened, measured out of spec for bullet setback.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine did it once this morning, I just pulled the slide back a little and it went on it and fired fine. Will it get better as it is broken in ?

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
As with any firearm which is handheld, run it out a couple hundred
rounds. If it still has a problem, then let SA fix it.

Ed

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just fired 20 more through it, it did it 3 times. The ammo is 125gr Remington UMC (thats all he had at the store).

Im going to strip it down, polish the feed ramp and give it a good cleaning right now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had this happen a couple times, shooting not so cheap, but apparently poor quality reloads.
Never had a problem with factory ammo. I usually shoot federal fmj now. If you are able, check the ammo. Most of the problems I have read about have been due to out of spec ammo. I know that you said you used factory ammo, but it is worth checking.

The case is a little out of spec, and doesn't load right, a little tap on the slide drives the round fully into the chamber.

·
Registered
36 Posts
polished feedramp, cleaned and oiled slide rails. It did it almost every shot this time. Im goign to go try some Federal JHP's now.

It did it twice out of 15 rounds that time when I first started shooting. Did fine on the rest. Is there a way I can make the slide spring stiffer ? It doesnt seem very strong when the slide is towards the front.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I called SA, they want me to send it in. So I guess I will do that and see what comes of it.

I do love the gun, it shoots great. My 10 shot, 7 yard groups are around 4" now. The biggest thing for me, is learning the trigger compared to my Ruger's.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Keep us updated when you get machine back from SA.

The 357SIG round has been one of the most outstanding
rounds for durability and reliability in feeding. I have several
chambered in 357SIG and five 357SIG conversion barrels
for other machines and have never had a problem. Ziltch.
I would add, I have never nor do I shoot reloads.

Ed

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a similar problem with my XD357 too. After you mentioned UMC I think this is what mine had issues with... To make the long story short the problem corrected itself with more rounds through the gun. You can read more at http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=18505.

Speaking of ammo, try the Canned Heat from Georgia Arms. Even though runs a little dirty it is the cheapest I was able to find and I haven't had any issues with them in over 1500 rounds.

Anyhow, good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The problem I see is this, when the gun is NOT cocked, the slide is held firmly forward, and it takes a good bit of pressure to pull it back even an 1/8" , BUT, big BUT, when it is cocked, its like the spring isnt holding well, you can push the slide back a 1/4" or so, very easily. Is the cocked indicator the actual firing pin ? If not can it be disconnected to see if its part of my problem ? The gun did fine with Federal JHP's, and I will be going to Double Tap Ammo Gold Dots for a carry load soon. Anyway, back to my point, the slide pushes back easy enough, when I got it chambered and ready to carry, and put it in my holster, the slide actualy comes back enough that you cant see the cocked indicator anymore.

By the way, where do I get a heavier spring, like the 22# mentioned in the other topics ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right you are! It would seem the "tension" on the telescoping rod/spring is quite weak at in its battery position(I have the same problem). I'm checking with wollfs for a new guide rod and 22lb. spring(full length).

·
Registered
92 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts