Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a 357 sig replacement barrell for my xd 40 service at the gunshow in LR this weekend. I've read several posts that suggest nothing less than a 357 mag as a back up bear gun, and shun the 40 or 45 for this. What do you think about the 357 sig for this purpose? Very, very similar ballistics, but I've never actually heard anybody compare the two regarding any specific purpose.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I wouldn't shun the 40 or the 45, I'd perfer the 40 loaded with 180g with higher velocities. More rounds in the mag, unless your using the new xd45.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't think the .357 SIG round is going to be any more effective vs bears than .40 or .45ACP loaded with hot rounds. I would think a .45 with 230g +P load would be a better choice. Of course, personally I wouldn't go lower than a .44 mag in bear country (and I am thinking .454 casuall)

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
A .45 with 230 grain bullets will penetrate deeper than a .357 sig. With a bear, you need penetration.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
remat457 said:
Ditto the heavier bullet for penetration. You might check to see what Doubletapammo.com has available. For bear I carry 357mag 180gr @ 1200fps...
This is similar to what I've read/heard before about a 357 mag. I guess the 125 gr 357 sig bullet that performs ever so similar to the 125 gr 357 mag bullet would be out of the question for bear then, huh?

Most of my buddies tell me 44 mag, too. And, I'd have complete confidence in it too. I just don't want to have to tote a BUG with that large of a frame.

It seems very interesting that the 45 acp has the confidence of so many in bear country, though. I've never had much confidence in it for bear, but I don't consider myself a "true" expert on the round. I'm gonna get a xd 45 as soon as I can, man I gotta have one. I've just never really considered the 45 acp for bear. I'd be interested hearing anybody else's thoughts though...

Thanks

·
Registered
440 Posts
Arkansas, where u at? I'm in west central (russellville, ar), do you know what the deal is on the gun show? I'm going sunday, are there supposed to be some xd's there?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jumbo said:
Arkansas, where u at? I'm in west central (russellville, ar), do you know what the deal is on the gun show? I'm going sunday, are there supposed to be some xd's there?
I live in Bryant. I travel through Russellville quite often on my way to NWA and OK. I also have some good friends in your town.

I'll be at the show on Saturday. I usually don't see many, if any, xd's at these shows because they go so fast, but I always keep my eyes open. I got a good deal on some mags once.

Do you bowhunt?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Arkansas said:
It seems very interesting that the 45 acp has the confidence of so many in bear country, though. I've never had much confidence in it for bear, but I don't consider myself a "true" expert on the round. I'm gonna get a xd 45 as soon as I can, man I gotta have one. I've just never really considered the 45 acp for bear. I'd be interested hearing anybody else's thoughts though...
If your looking for an autoloader caliber for bear country, the .45 ACP or 10mm are the best options. Beyond that, your into magnum revolver territory for better ballasitic performance.

Personally, i would be looking at a chopped down 12 gauge with sabot slugs if I had to go into bear country.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 357 sig, 40SW and 45ACP are definitely not bear guns! You are just going to piss a bruin off with those calibers.

I wouldn't go lower than a 44 magnum for Blackies and 454 Casull for Browns.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Get a 1911 and then buy a 460Rowland conversion for it. Then you will have an auto loader that achieves good solid .44 magnum velocities.
230 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point @ 1350 feet fps
You can get them from Clark Custom Guns for $275.00 if you already own a 1911. Ammo is available commercialy loaded too.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know what sort of bears you are dealing with but up here the 44mag is considered a light weight for that use but it has worked. I would not sugest using a hp of any sort with bears either, with bears you need penetration to get through the skull or to other vital areas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ditto head damage! I would prefer a 44 magnum revolver stoked with Cor-bon 305 grain penetrator (hard casts) or the like. I don't think a 460 Rowland with 230 grain bullets would be as good of a choice.

Also, 6 shots are enough, I would prefer the reliability of a revolver in that situation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you're going to Handgun hunt for bear... that's great carry the biggest baddest revolver you can find (.460 S&W mag). But, for purely personal protection (if your not handgun hunting) carry what you're comfortable and accurate with. Out of self defense you will be taking EXTREMELY close range shots. I mean, why take 15yd plus shots at a bear? That's just going to piss him off. And penetration is a must. Personally I carry a sig p220 with Hornaday 230gr roundnose and feel confident that in a close quarters situation a shot to the central nervous system would do the job. If he's more than about 10yds out then, I'm slinging 45-70gov't rounds at him.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Part of this becomes a question of context, regarding both how big of a bear that you're talking about and what is meant by "back up". I've seen black bears run from overgrown raccoon class to ones that have left teeth marks six feet up on a power pole. Grizzlies and Browns are something else. "Back up" could potentially run from something worn on the hip while hiking to something to have handy if you stuck Bruno in the ass with a broadhead rather than in the vitals.

I'll be brash enough to state that unless you are carrying something exotic, I would not recommend a bottom feeder if bear are involved - stick with a magnum wheelgun, .44 or larger. Prevention is also a key element. In most cases, bear don't want anything more from you then you want from them. Your brain is probably a better defense against bear than your XD.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I carry a Glock 10mm with me when I hunt but its secondary to my rifle. I've never shot a bear/hog/or deer with the 10mm but I think the 16 rounds plus an extra mag of 10mm would help me out in many situations if I had no rifle. The 10mm Winchester silver tip HP is my cartridge of choice and it shoots well in my G20. Its 175 gr. at about 1290 fps with 649 ft lbs of enery at the muzzle according to Winchester. Not bad for a semi auto handgun.

I've been looking at a couple of 44 magnum revolvers but nothing has really hit me yet.

I liked the idea of Mr Toadz. The 45-70 is impressive!! Marlin makes a 45-70 guide gun that is sweet and I think would be excellent for bear of any type.

G20

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, I'm definitely not going to hunt bruin with a semi auto. I primarily bowhunt and like spending as much time in the woods as possible. I was just wondering if a 357 sig or a 45 would provide me the peace of mind I was hoping for. I believe a 22 may slightly discourage one, but I prefer to shoot to kill if I have to in self defense.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If its a black bear you dont need one they are pussies unless cornered or wounded. if its Grizzly back up you are talking about file the sights off of it so when he shoves it up your arz it wont hurt so much

·
Registered
440 Posts
arkansas, i bowhunt, but have not been able to in a while. I travel all around AR and i usually stay in Little Rock once a week or so. I want to go saturday, but my neice's birthday party is Sat at 1, and i'm calling in enough chips to get to go Sunday. If you find a sweet deal on an xd subbie, holler at me, i want a 40 but will settle for a 9 if it's a good enough deal. my cell is 479-857-7632. thanks dude.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love my Hi-power and XD40 but if in the bush my 5.5" Ruger Redhawk 44mag would be the one that I would carry. Been thinking that I should get a winchester trapper in 44mag to go with it as a back country combo.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts