Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been looking for some good sd bonded jhps for my 357 magnum, is there anything on thre market thats similair to the federal hst or ranger-t? so far ive found federal personal defense 158gr jhp,and the hornady 158 gr. xtp, is there anything better than these?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Depends on te bullet wt, but I don;t feel the 158gr JHP need top be bonded. In fact, non bonded will often expand more & the add'l. wt should still give more than adequate penetration. The old scalloped 158gr RemJHP is a great load. When you get to the lighter 125gr JHP, then a bonded bullet makes more sense. Tough to beat the GoldDots.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
When I had a GP100 I used the Remington 140 grain SJHP. All around best load for a 357IMO. Worked great on deer and I kept it by my bed for years loaded with that ammo.

Dunno if Remington still makes it but if they do it is worth looking at....

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
I'd say it would depend on your barrel length.

Over three inches--go with a 125gr load, loaded to it's full potential.

Under three--a 158gr load.

I like Gold Dots in both weights.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
If you can find it, I do like the Win 145grSTHP quite a bit in any bbl length. It is NOT a full power load, but 1275fps in most 4" guns isn't shabby & it's accurate & easy to shoot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not sure what model my s&w revolver is but it has a 8" barrel and recoil is not a problem for me,so shooting the higher grain bullets doesnt bother me at all.

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
Winchester is also releasing their PDX-1 bonded bullet for .357 magnum. 125gr, iirc.

What's the application?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Winchester is also releasing their PDX-1 bonded bullet for .357 magnum. 125gr, iirc.

What's the application?
it will be for self defense. my ammo supply is running pretty low. i have some fmjs but we all know those arent good for sd. im saving up for a xdm 45 that will be my new go to gun for sd, and the 357 will be my backup gun

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
Out of an 8" barrel...it really isn't gonna matter.

Hell, the fairly inexpensive 125gr SJHP's will perfrom just fine.

I wouldn't go lighter than 125, though, unless it was a monometal bullet like the Barnes.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'll agree with above the Federal Hydra-shoks and Hornady Leverevolution are damn fine!! That being said I also like to get the Ranger 110+p+ in 38 spl for practical use..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll agree with above the Federal Hydra-shoks and Hornady Leverevolution are damn fine!! That being said I also like to get the Ranger 110+p+ in 38 spl for practical use..
when you say ranger do you mean winchester ranger t? cuz if so then thats exactly what im looking for.and ive used 140gr. leverrevolutions before and they are pretty good as well

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
neither have I. That's why I posted :), as he said HST and gold dots. He probably menat HydraShoks'

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
I would not recommend Hydrashoks in .357mag flavors (or, well, any flavors, actually).

The expand real nice when shot into a bare gel water jugs, or wetpack...but put some clothing over it, and they tend to act like a FMJ.

A semi-wadcutter would be a better choice. A SWC-HP would be much better--at least if they don't expand, they still cut close to a full .36" hole.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts