Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok been out of the gun scene for many years do to a divorce and paying a butt load to attorneys.

I've gotten back into it by buying a hs2000 and several other handguns.

My question is what is the difference between the two bullets?

I mean can a .357 mag shot .357 sig ammo and vice versa or is it a specific cartridge like 9mm vs. 10mm?

I couldn't find specific info on wether one can be shot in the other.

I just bought a taurus 66m .357 revolver for the night stand.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The 357 Magnum is a rimmed straight wall cartridge most often used in revolvers such as the one you just bought.

The 357 Sig is a rimless bottle necked cartridge based on the 40 S&W necked down to take a .357 inch diameter bullet and is primarily used in semi-auto handguns.

They both fire a .357 inch diameter bullet, and when firing light bullets for the caliber ~125 grain their ballistics are similar. As you move up toward heavier bullets like 158 grain and 180 grain the 357 Magnum will have noticeably higher muzzle energies due to the small case capacity of the 357 Sig.

Hope that helps
mcb

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Helps allot, so basically I should only shoot .357mag in the revolver.

Thanks allot.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
No, you may also shoot .38 Special in the .357 Mag
also. Cheaper to pratice with.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasn't sure if that was true with all .357 mag.

This is my first one. Usually I'm partial to semi auto.

Thanks for the help. You've helped allot.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
bryan.tonya said:
Helps allot, so basically I should only shoot .357mag in the revolver.

Thanks allot.
As Ed said, you can shoot .38 special in it too but thats it, DO NOT PUT .357sig ammo in the revolver! The only gun that fires a .357sig round is a semi auto.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I should have the gun by the end of the week.

Can't wait, it's my first revolver other than shooting my dad's .22 when I was a kid.

·
Registered
275 Posts
One other thing if you are going to shoot both 357 and 38 rounds when at the range use all your 357 first then the 38 if you use the 38 first you may not be able to get the 357 rounds in the gun with out cleaning first...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't want to rain on someone's parade, but doesn't the .357 Sig actually use a .355 bullet like a 9mm?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
87-51 said:
Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't want to rain on someone's parade, but doesn't the .357 Sig actually use a .355 bullet like a 9mm?
It doesnt matter what diameter the bullet is. The bottom line is that the .357sig round is rimless and has a bottle neck case. The .357mag round is rimmed and is of straightwall design. The rounds are in no way meant to be interchanged.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Tell ya' what- if you REALLY want to do this, find a S&W Model 27 or 28, pay somebody to rechamber it to .357 Sig, and then ream the back of the cylinder for moonclips so you can have extraction. Of course the cylinder throats may be a thousandth or so over, the gun won't be able to handle heavy bullets like it could before, the brass may 'set back' and lock the cylinder; but what the hell? This is just an internet pipe dream anyway, and it don't have to make any sense as long as we can all argue about the pros/cons of it anyhow.

OR, just take a .357 revolver and try and shove a .357 Sig round into the cylinder with your thumb.

Either way, we (who have invested considerable effort in trying to explain this relatively simple concept) will expect a full range report, complete with pictures and to-scale diagrams.

Is it ready yet? I wanna know right now!!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
And yes, the .357 SIG actually uses a smaller bullet diameter than .357. A 9mm in the .3555 range works very well for those reloading, but typically you have to use a flat point bullet...the round nose 9mm wont work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
9mm is .355

357 SIG is .355

357 Magnum is .357

Some 9mm bullets can be loaded and shot in 357 SIG cases and some can not; depends on the shape of the ogive. Sierra and Hornady XTPs work well in both. The 9mm and 357 SIG Gold Dots have slightly different shapes to be sure the short neck on the 357 SIG case has enoigh to grab and hold. Some 9mm bullets loaded in 357 SIG cases will set back very easily.

Some folks have loaded .357 bullets in the 9mm. The Navy shoe-horned some 145g .357 Silvertip bullets into 9mm cases for the SEALs in the 80s but it didn't work out too well; pressure issues.

·
Registered
492 Posts
One thing always bugged me, I have always heard that the caliber of a bullet is determined by it's dia., then why isn't a 38 Special .380 dia. ? Or is that what makes it special?

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good point.

I have found .38 special ammo is allot cheaper than the .357.

I've done allot of research on the .357 vs sig and now know why.

Thanks for all your help guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts