Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else uses a .357 as a woods gun? Here's a list of what's most likely to attack you in my area, in order:

1) Bull Moose (king of the woods, NO fear of man whatsoever, they'll even charge trains head-on)

2) Mother black bears

3) Cougars

4) Two legged predators

5) Grizzly bears

6) Wolves

7) Coyotes (only if rabid or starving)

I've been carrying my 3" SP101 with Doubletap 158gr jacketed hollow cavity, tougher bullet than true hollow points. About 1350fps w/3" barrel. Seems to be a good compromise for threats that can range anywhere from 60 to 1000 pounds. Any other suggested loads, since I can't find that one anymore?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Check out Buffalo Bore factory ammo. It's what I carry in those situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
From your list of threats I wouldn't be comfortable with a .357 mag... I would consider at least a .44 mag. That being said I have heard good things about the Buffalo Bore ammo.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I have a single shot break action 357 magnum/38 special NEF that makes for a very handy brush gun.

The longer carbine barrel gets 357 mag rounds upwards of 1750 fps, which is more than adequate for anything in my woods at the distances that I hunt *usually within 75 yards or less.

I don't have moose or grizzly. I think I'd prefer a 12 gauge slug for that.

But I do have Elk and some very large black bears upwards of between 400-600 pounders.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
I don't think a JHP in a 3" barrel is adequate for bull moose, black bears or grizzlies. Those are large heavily muscled critters, I'd prefer a rile in 357 magnum or better. JHP are more for 2 legged predators, hard cast would be the better bet. 357 JHP seems OK for cougar, wolf and coyote as they aren't as massive.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Wow, that is a "who's who" list of predators I don't want to encounter in the woods!

I carried a .357 magnum for many years, and I don't think I would be comfortable with 6 rounds against those animals. What about a 10mm? I'm looking at a Glock 20, and that will give me 16 rounds of 10mm. But, where we hike/camp all I would possibly have to deal with are black bears (rarely) and bobcats. And squirrels...they're cute, but don't let those bushy tails fool ya :lol:

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I think I'd step up in caliber too.

A .357 is a fine woods gun around here. Though for real versatility, I'd go .44 mag or stout loaded .45LC as they carry a better pay load with snake shot too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts