·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's got one?
What do you have?
Favorite use?
Would you recommend it? Why?

Im looking in the 800 and lower price range.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I would love one to complement my GP100. They are hard to find now.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
10,949 Posts

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I've got a Marlin 1894C...she's a hoot.

I like loading up with 158gr LRN .38's; it's like shooting a big .22...quiet, too.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
About the only other offerings are Brazilian rifles of questionable quality.

Marlin makes some stout rifles.

I want a .44 mag lever gun at some point.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
No Henry love? Oh well.

I cant say about their .357 but i love my .22 lever from henry.

MSRP is $899 on the big boy models so *should* be able to find a used one within budget, probably find a bunch of NEW ones for $700

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Henry's, I got nothing against them.
Just liked the marlin a lot, and have actually had the chance to shoot it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Picked up a Rossi ranch hand a while back - love it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
My LGS has a Henry Big Boy listed in the mid 700s, NIB. They look to be a nice carbine (a little heavier than the others).

For myself, I went with a Rossi 92 in 357 a couple of years ago. I bought the "plug" for the flimsy top mounted safety. I am quite pleased with the build quality otherwise. At the time, Marlin had just been bought by Remington and there were plenty of horror stories (w/ pictures) of the quality control issues of those "Remlins". Now Marlin is part of Freedom Group which is not a good thing IMO. I suspect they have improved the lever guns over the last year or two, but I'd still want to handle one before buying.

Being a lefty, I've always been drawn to lever actions. I really enjoy taking my 16" Rossi to the range. It is pretty accurate and very little recoil. It goes quite well with my GP100 for a woods combo. I'd buy another Rossi, but I'd want to personally handle them as well.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
My LGS has a Henry Big Boy listed in the mid 700s, NIB. They look to be a nice carbine (a little heavier than the others).

For myself, I went with a Rossi 92 in 357 a couple of years ago. I bought the "plug" for the flimsy top mounted safety. I am quite pleased with the build quality otherwise. At the time, Marlin had just been bought by Remington and there were plenty of horror stories (w/ pictures) of the quality control issues of those "Remlins". Now Marlin is part of Freedom Group which is not a good thing IMO. I suspect they have improved the lever guns over the last year or two, but I'd still want to handle one before buying.

Being a lefty, I've always been drawn to lever actions. I really enjoy taking my 16" Rossi to the range. It is pretty accurate and very little recoil. It goes quite well with my GP100 for a woods combo. I'd buy another Rossi, but I'd want to personally handle them as well.

Bought a Marlin 336 last year and quality is good on this one. I lucked out I think.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I don't own any rifles, just a bird hunting shotgun.
Since buying my 357mag revolver, I'm thinking one of these lever actions may be a nice addition.

I do need at least one rifle....
Right..:confused::mrgreen:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Bought a Marlin 336 last year and quality is good on this one. I lucked out I think.
Nice. The 336 is a classic rifle. I had a 35 Rem many years back that I shouldn't have traded. The newest ones seem to be getting better. As long as I could look it over before putting down good money, I would get one.

For those that haven't heard the story, this review includes some background into the transition of Marlin when Remington bought it.

Marlin's Back And It's Bad! I Mean Good. I Mean, We'll See . . . - The Truth About Guns

Quote from story:

"Compounding the difficulties, Remington discovered dimensioned drawings of Marlin’s iconic rifles did not exist. The plans at North Haven had simply been passed down through the generations. Many of these workers hadn’t made the move to Ilion, so much of that inherent knowledge had been lost. “We were training a new workforce to build these rifles,” says Fink."

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
No dimensioned drawings? What a load of bull!

with 1 good gun and a set of calipers you can have a set of dimensioned drawings.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I don't own any rifles, just a bird hunting shotgun.
Since buying my 357mag revolver, I'm thinking one of these lever actions may be a nice addition.

I do need at least one rifle....
Right..:confused::mrgreen:
Look for a pre-Freedom Group Marlin 1894C.

Nice actions, accurate (no problems putting rounds on a paper plate at 150 yards, open sights and offhand), and as i mentioned, shooting .38's through them is like shooting a big .22--only quieter (if you use a 158gr load, they'll still be subsonic).

And yes, you need one.;)

(inspiration)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts